BANGKOK 15 October 2018 15:21

It's not just the boxed wine, 2 litre bottles have gone through the roof as well.

• Like 1

I know it is not wine, but look up how to make turbo cider and brew your own ready to drink in 3-5 days, and be very tasty and quite strong. Even in Australia we make it for around $1-2 a litre.

Basically get apple juice or similar (pasteurised), add some sugar and yeast (champagne or cider yeast available on-line is best but granulated bread yeast will do at a pinch), warm dark place for 3-5 days with the lid not on too tight and then in the fridge to let the yeast settle. 

• Thanks 1

Makro Chiang Rai and Tops Chiang Rai no longer has box wine. Tops has some box beer. Also, I am told that across the border in Mae Sai they have no box wine. God only knows what the crazies are up to. I will try some Lao Khao with a lot of grape juice on my wife and will let you know if it works. After the first glass I think she will like it. 420% tax on wine is not enough.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, DonaldBattles said:

Makro Chiang Rai and Tops Chiang Rai no longer has box wine. Tops has some box beer. Also, I am told that across the border in Mae Sai they have no box wine. God only knows what the crazies are up to. I will try some Lao Khao with a lot of grape juice on my wife and will let you know if it works. After the first glass I think she will like it. 420% tax on wine is not enough.

Lots of info on this on the Montclair red wine and Montclair wine threads...……..along with a description of the tax changes!

On 5/5/2018 at 7:42 AM, apetryxx said:

All of a sudden box wine, especially white has disappeared or skyrocketed in price. Does anybody know why?

It's been discussed in another thread a while ago, where it was stated to be due to the government has changed the taxation.

Where I live, I saw that Mount Clair white (fruit) wine is back in 3-liter cartons (only) for 995 baht a piece in Makro; seem like new stock at new price. Both Makro and Tesco-Lotus still has quite a lot of old stock of Mount Clair red wine, whilst almost all other boxed wine has disappeared, apart from a few (very) dry red, which presumably nobody wants, as they they have been boring alone on the shelf for a couple of month...:smile:

They have increased it a lot of times in the past. This time appears to have stuck.

The few Thai vineyards will be pleased with this!

• Haha 1