Posted (edited)

If considering a new GPS consider this.  From 16 January 2018 Tom Tom has declared 66 models as “End of Life” meaning no more support, services, updates, and no more maps available for those units.  Some people claim their units as little as 3 and 4 years old have been put into this End of Life category.  Also some units fall under the category that are still being sold through online suppliers.  See further info at: https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/news-and-announcements-37/end-of-life-for-tomtom-devices-with-2gb-internal-memory-1031975 Thru uncle Google you can see other postings of news articles and enraged reactions by unhappy people who have been affected.

Tom Tom told customers, “This may be the perfect opportunity to discover what our new range of navigation products has to offer you,”   Oh sure, is that so TomTom..?  Really..?  Rather than offering customers a pathway to easy upgrades, TomTom simply suggested users buy a new one.  And is trying to smooth this over by offering new unit discounts to owners of the affected units.  But new units bought at the discounted prices are still at higher cost than the usual prices offered by online discounters.  So essentially no discount at all.

What does ‘lifetime’ mean?  The Dutch company also tried to clarify (or redefine) its promise of a lifetime guarantee of new maps.  “Lifetime means the useful life of the device, i.e. the period of time TomTom supports your device with updates, services, content or accessories.  A device will have reached the end of its life when none of these are available any more.”  So, "lifetime" effectively means until they take it upon themselves to decide your machine is no longer to be supported...

I knew nothing about any of this until trying to update maps on my Go720 last week.  Not a nice surprise.  Their primary reason put forth is larger storage requirements of some of their new maps.  Completely moot as SD cards provide expandable memory.  I have not even put an Sd card into my Go720 and with entire North America and Thailand maps installed only 1/2 of its internal memory is being used.

We never use the Tom Tom anyway because we have 2 Garmins that are much more user friendly.  An older ZUMO 550 and a newer NUVI 3490.  But that does not calm the feeling of being disillusioned by Tom Tom’s decision to pull the rug out from under us.

There are many cheaper Chinese units available but nothing I have tried compares with the ease of use of Garmin.  And if ever getting stuck on an operational procedure, anything about any Garmin model is thoroughly covered on the internet.  Another good reason to have a Garmin is that maps, even free ones, are available from many sources.  So at least, whatever you buy, stick with a unit that uses the GPX format so you can get maps from sources of your choice.

In Malaysia, MalFree Maps and Malsing Maps are free and are far superior to anything else available.  A few years ago they were starting to expand their mapping into Southern Thailand and I had hoped they would go for all of Thailand but have not checked lately so do not lnow if anything has come of that.

Edited by blackcab
Removed bold font
  • Thanks 1

Yet another reason to use Google Maps.

• Like 1

As a long term Garmin user I am afraid to say that I think Cooked has it right. Though a dedicated navigation device like a Garmin is easier to use, as I see it there are 2 reasons that Google Maps are impossible to compete with.

Firstly is the real time traffic info. Through their Android operating system, Google have hundreds of millions of phones out there most of which are calling home with location info in real time. No one can compete with that. Well, maybe Apple can but certainly Garmin or Tom Tom can't. 

The second reason is very apparent in Thailand and that is the Google search ability to deal with fuzzy logic. Using a Garmin device. if searching for an address or place with a Thai name you have to spell it the same way as the Garmin map or you're not going to find it. With Google you can usually spell the name a number of ways and will still find what you're looking for.

I still have a Garmin in my car and keep a spare one for using in rental cars when travelling. Offline maps are a big advantage sometimes and so is not receiving a phone call just as you approach a complex intersection. I don't think I would buy shares in Garmin though.

• Like 1

On 09/05/2018 at 1:08 AM, cooked said:

Yet another reason to use Google Maps.

Google now also offers the navigation app Android Auto, judging from the name probably only for Android devices. I installed it but haven't used it yet because my fingers are still in the habit of tapping on Google Maps.

Boycott purchasing TomTom for sure...Garmin seems a better choice.  

I have  2 TomTom units and I assume sooner or later they will strangely slow down and have their signals getting jammed here and there....what a racket and what a deception from TOMTOM.

Garmin IMHO is doing the same thing.

Just found out that there is new version of the Thailand City Navigator 2018.20 available.

http://www.garmin.co.th/mapupdate

The site only lists 3 models Nuvi 42, Nuvi 55 and 4592LM available as eligible for upgrade, all the other models are either EOL or you have to try your luck with Garmin Express.

I would love to switch to Google Maps, but what is holding me back is that I like to make a custom route on my computer which has lots of waypoints (points we want to visit) in it and that is simply not possible (unless you make a lot of different routes) with Google Maps.

For Point A -> B navigation Google Maps Rocks, but for Point A -> AA -> AB -> AX etc etc -> B navigation Google unfortunately isn't not a good enough solution (IMHO).

Edited by MJCM