BANGKOK 22 October 2018 10:07
Cjmd95

Can I teach in Thailand?

Hi, first time poster; read through the stickies but could do with some more specific advice on my particular situation.

I'm currently in Thailand travelling with my girlfriend; I've saved around £3,000 myself and she has about twice that herself. We're planning to spend the next month or so travelling through a bit of SE Asia; currently a week in and arrived in Koh Tao and we're planning to cross into Malaysia and loop through Cambodia before ending at Chiang Mai.

It's my first time outside Europe and I'm loving it; I quit my job in the UK and so I'm hoping I could maybe set up in Chiang Mai as an EFL teacher. I graduated in English Language and Linguistics last year from a good UK university, and last summer I did a 120 hour in-classroom TEFL course in France. However, I wasn't able to complete the course due to personal issues and so never received my certificate (the operators of the course we're very unsympathetic but that's all water under the bridge) - all that said, I completed all the training aside from submitting a 1-to-1 project; did 6 observed teaching lessons and passed them all, and my degree trained me expertly on the technical aspects of the language.

All this considered, what is my likelihood of securing a job on the basis of my degree alone? I could confidently execute a demo lesson if a school required and am essentially fully trained, though I don't know if it'd be worth trying to explain my TEFL situation to a potential employer.

Thanks in advance! 

Yes.  I would say there is every chance of securing a job in Thailand through an agency.   But the conditions and pay are lousy, and maybe wait until you are somewhere else.  Online teaching might suit.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Yes.  I would say there is every chance of securing a job in Thailand through an agency.   But the conditions and pay are lousy, and maybe wait until you are somewhere else.  Online teaching might suit.

but you will be working illegally without the appropriate visa and work permit. It's unlikely you'll be caught though.

Edited by Loaded

12 hours ago, Loaded said:

but you will be working illegally without the appropriate visa and work permit. It's unlikely you'll be caught though.

Another big case recently would deem your comment inane. 166 Chinese arrested for online work. Sunsequently released when the authorities realised there was no law currently in place to cover such activity. 

• Like 1

Those online jobs...are...

Posted (edited)

As TGFAF mentioned, the TEFL cert. is largely irrelevant, your BA is all that really matters.  There are two main hiring seasons for teachers in Thailand: March - Early May & September - October, just before the first and second terms begin.

While most schools have already hired teachers for this school year, there are always a few new teachers who don't work out and leave because of personal/job/visa-related reasons, so it is still possible to find a school that is ready to hire new teachers.

Teaching in Thailand jobs basically fall into 3 or 4 categories:

1. Teachers who work directly for a school

- they will usually get the best pay and benefits.

2.  Teachers working at Language Centers

- Plus - most students are reasonably motivated

- Minus - irregular hours & it may be difficult to get a Work Permit & Visa

3. Teachers sent to schools by agencies

- all of the disadvantages of the above two categories and none of the benefits.

4. Online teaching

- maybe legal, maybe paid well, maybe right for you, maybe not.

To check out jobs currently available, google ajarn dot com.

Edited by otherstuff1957
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, puchooay said:

Another big case recently would deem your comment inane. 166 Chinese arrested for online work. Sunsequently released when the authorities realised there was no law currently in place to cover such activity. 

I guess you mean this news story:

Huge raid nets 166 Chinese nationals using Ubon hotel as base for stock speculation

"...Fines totaling 265,000 baht or 1,600 baht per person are being paid before the stock traders will be repatriated back to China, reported Thai Rath."

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Loaded said:

I guess you mean this news story:

Huge raid nets 166 Chinese nationals using Ubon hotel as base for stock speculation

"...Fines totaling 265,000 baht or 1,600 baht per person are being paid before the stock traders will be repatriated back to China, reported Thai Rath."

They were later released without charge.

The fine refers to the hotel not reporting their guests' whereabouts.

But you know all this really!

Edited by mommysboy

Just now, mommysboy said:

They were later arrested without charge.

The fine refers to the hotel not reporting their guests' whereabouts.

But you know all this really!

You missed the 'and deported' part then?

51 minutes ago, Loaded said:

You missed the 'and deported' part then?

You have not read the full story as usual. They are not being deported. The authorities are going to ensure they leave when their permisdion to stay is over. As they try to do with everyone who comes to Thailand. 

17 hours ago, puchooay said:

You have not read the full story as usual. They are not being deported. The authorities are going to ensure they leave when their permisdion to stay is over. As they try to do with everyone who comes to Thailand. 

The article I quoted doesn't say that. What's your source? Desperation?

1 hour ago, Loaded said:

The article I quoted doesn't say that. What's your source? Desperation?

Click "SANOOK" at the bottom. Full story available.