cfrsh91

Thai girlfriend first visitor visa refused - help needed addressing refusal points!

10 hours ago, Rolanddrums said:

I think what  many would like to know in situations where long term GF has no regular job/bank statements/land in her name is:- What is the best answer to put in the 'Reason to return to Thailand' box?  I'm talking about ,UK, tourist Visa's for holiday purposes and applicants that have a good Sponsor here. (eg Boyfriend with own home/money etc.) One person wrote 'reason to return' was if she didnt, he would withdraw all financial support from her . Seems reasonable. Any other suggestions?

The most common is saying that they understand overstaying a visit visa could put a future settlemnt application at risk.

5 hours ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

Of course you are correct, at the end of the day how much money does one need for what is essiantially a holiday?

4 hours ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

That's right, I think we get it....End of the day, how many people have genuinely been knocked back because they can't afford 3 weeks in Barnsley?

I think we all get the message here.

As far as the UK is concerened, there is no minimum amount of funds required for a visit visa application. It all depends on the length of the visit and what one will be doing.

For example, hiring a car and touring the country and staying in hotels for a month will need more money than staying with friends or family for 6 months with occassional day trips.

49 minutes ago, cfrsh91 said:

Thanks for the replies. I must admit I've only just caught up on all of this as I thought I would get an email notification of replies and I didn't!

Regardless, below is the refusal letter

One phrase occurs several times in the refusal with regard to her available finances: "without explanation." 

It is the unexplained acquisition of funds by both her and her mother which caused the ECO to doubt her intentions; as they say in the refusal.

Had she explained where these various funds came from, I strongly suspect that her application would have been approved.

So do this in her next application, saying that you forgot to do so in her last.

56 minutes ago, cfrsh91 said:

2) To address the second point regarding the 100,000 THB issue as she had put that this would be the cost of the trip to her.. The English question reads "what is the cost of the trip to you personally?" but she has said that the Thai translation of this question reads along the lines of "how much are you going to use on your trip", which she assumed included the cost of the trip to me as her sponsor also, and therefore gave too large a figure considering the amount she will need to spend will be small

This is why I always check applications by my Thai family members before hitting the submit button; even my step son's and he speaks fluent English!

Again, explain the error in her next application, saying that the actual costs to her will be minimal because you are paying for her trip.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

One phrase occurs several times in the refusal with regard to her available finances: "without explanation." 

It is the unexplained acquisition of funds by both her and her mother which caused the ECO to doubt her intentions; as they say in the refusal.

Had she explained where these various funds came from, I strongly suspect that her application would have been approved.

So do this in her next application, saying that you forgot to do so in her last.

This is why I always check applications by my Thai family members before hitting the submit button; even my step son's and he speaks fluent English!

Again, explain the error in her next application, saying that the actual costs to her will be minimal because you are paying for her trip.

Thanks, that is our plan to do both of those - shame it wasn't done in the first place but hey-ho!

I fear however that we have opened ourselves to further scrutiny of her mother's finances as she has approximately 300,000 THB which was deposited in her account as cash over a 3 month period of Dec '17 to Feb '18.. Her mother sells farm produce, cattle, land etc and records all of this in a ledger which my GF has to make copies of, but it appears that she kept a large amount of money as cash and decided to deposit most of it into the bank during this period.

We've looked through the ledger and can only account for around 1/3 of the deposited cash over the 6 months prior, which is the period that the statement is for.

Question is, do we need to produce/explain a statement from her mother now that the cash is in my GF's account and accounted for?

Or can we just draw on the ECO's statement regarding the funds being 'available solely for your exclusive use'?

11 minutes ago, cfrsh91 said:

Question is, do we need to produce/explain a statement from her mother now that the cash is in my GF's account and accounted for?

Or can we just draw on the ECO's statement regarding the funds being 'available solely for your exclusive use'?

You need to explain where the money has come from; but you do not need to produce detailed accounts and reciepts. This is a visa application, not a VAT return!

Simply expalin it as you have here; money is from her mother who raised it over x period from selling farm produce, cattle etc.

7 hours ago, 7by7 said:

The most common is saying that they understand overstaying a visit visa could put a future settlemnt application at risk.

Thanks . Short & sweet to . I think unless ones GF genuinely has proper long term job, regular income from  bank with reasonable balance etc etc..Thats the answer I would be inclined to give now.

17 hours ago, 7by7 said:

You need to explain where the money has come from; but you do not need to produce detailed accounts and reciepts. This is a visa application, not a VAT return!

Simply expalin it as you have here; money is from her mother who raised it over x period from selling farm produce, cattle etc.

I understand, however I'm just concerned that it may seem suspicious if we omit her mother's statements from the second application or fail to provide detailed evidence of how it got there, especially as this was a reason for refusal previously.

Do you think then that we can draw on the ECO's statement regarding the funds being 'available solely for your exclusive use' and just explain briefly where they came from, how this has been resolved (funds now in her account, not mother's), and leave out the statement/ledgers?

I don't want to open up a further can of worms by trying to prove where 300,000 THB cash came from but at the same time I don't want to seem like I'm trying to hide it's origin.

How would the ECO view the above is what I guess I'm trying to get at?

3 hours ago, cfrsh91 said:

I understand, however I'm just concerned that it may seem suspicious if we omit her mother's statements from the second application or fail to provide detailed evidence of how it got there, especially as this was a reason for refusal previously.

Do you think then that we can draw on the ECO's statement regarding the funds being 'available solely for your exclusive use' and just explain briefly where they came from, how this has been resolved (funds now in her account, not mother's), and leave out the statement/ledgers?

I don't want to open up a further can of worms by trying to prove where 300,000 THB cash came from but at the same time I don't want to seem like I'm trying to hide it's origin.

How would the ECO view the above is what I guess I'm trying to get at?

I agree with you. You need to address the reasons for refusal in the first application. An detailed explanation in your sponsor letter plus the bank statements to confirm the information in your letter should be sufficient.

You also need to explain that the visa company gave you very bad advice and you are no longer using them. You will also need to show a reason, or reasons, to return.

Edited by rasg

1 hour ago, rasg said:

I agree with you. You need to address the reasons for refusal in the first application. An detailed explanation in your sponsor letter plus the bank statements to confirm the information in your letter should be sufficient.

Apologies for my confusion, do you mean her bank statements or her mother's?

I'm just worried that if I attach her mother's statement then they will expect evidence of where the money came from, especially considering it was deposited in cash etc.

Too confusing posting on here and sending emails too! Just sent you loads of needed changes.

12 hours ago, cfrsh91 said:

Apologies for my confusion, do you mean her bank statements or her mother's?

Both; hers to show the money comin g in from her mother, her mother's to show that she had the money in the first place.

12 hours ago, cfrsh91 said:

I'm just worried that if I attach her mother's statement then they will expect evidence of where the money came from, especially considering it was deposited in cash etc

The ECOs are well aware that Thailand is to a large extent a cash economy and detailed paperwork is not the norm. A brief explanation of where her mother got the money, from selling farm produce, cattle etc. and periodically paying it into her bank, should suffice.