BANGKOK 15 October 2018 15:23
Pilotman

Do I need a Thai Bank Account to get an Extension of Stay based on Retirement.

I am here on a Non Immigrant O visa on marriage to a Thai National.  I want to get an extension of stay based on retirement.  I have the Embassy letter proof of income and I'm clear about the rest of the documentation needed, but  I do not have a Thai bank account.  I just use money from the ATM when I need it.  Is this a show stopper on getting the extension?  

27 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Is this a show stopper on getting the extension?  

No, as long as you can have a certified (by your embassy) income.

You only need a bank account if using cash in the bank to satisfy the financial requirements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I depends on your immigration office, here on Samui you must show a bank book too. 

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

I depends on your immigration office, here on Samui you must show a bank book too. 

I am living in Pattaya 

1 hour ago, dabhand said:

I guess this can depend on which Immigration office is in play. In my case, at Jomtien, my retirement extension is based on an Embassy income letter and I have not been requested to supply copies/details of a Thai bank account. I do have local accounts but this has not been mentioned for the past 4/5 years when I have provided the Embassy letter.

Of course, requirements can and do differ by office / officer but this is my experience.

That's my local office too so that is good news. 

1 hour ago, PoorSucker said:

And that's even if an embassy letter is produced showing the financial requirements are properly met?

Posted (edited)

My retirement visa is based purely on income, but a few years ago I was asked to show a Thai bank book at Jomtien even though my income was sufficient. This then became problematic because it was a joint account; so next they wanted my wife (even though this was not a marriage visa) to come to Immigration with her ID card. 

Because of that I opened an account just in my name, and have always taken it with me just in case. Since then I've never been asked to show it.

If you're asking for advice I would suggest you open a Thai bank account...... just in case.

Edited by keithcresswell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

That doesn’t make any sense. How much is supposed to be in the account?

An alternative might be to take a few ATM receipts to show you are actually bringing money into T/L rather than working here....?

49 minutes ago, elviajero said:

That doesn’t make any sense. How much is supposed to be in the account?

No specific amount in the account. Just funds going into the account from abroad. Same at a few other offices.

Posted (edited)

the immigration i met in jomtien did not accept income letter,

i had to get it confirmed at ministry of foreign affairs in bkk,

and when i came back, it was still not good enough

and she demanded proof i brought money from abroad,

and when i came back with ATM slips, then it still wasnt good enough,

she refused to extend my marry visa.

i gave up on it and went with ED visa,

but in hindsight, if i had known about visa agencies at the time, it would have been better

to pay an agency to pay the extortion money,

it would have meant less visa runs

Edited by poanoi

3 hours ago, keithcresswell said:

My retirement visa is based purely on income, but a few years ago I was asked to show a Thai bank book at Jomtien even though my income was sufficient. //

Yes, happened to me once in the same case, probably 4 years ago. No specific amount was asked and the book I had show few operations and an amount below 100'000 baht, but it was ok; I got this extension too. :smile:

At Sakon Nakhon, I take my book updated that day, and in ten years of extending based on an embassy income letter I have only been asked to show them it once. I never volunteer it, and there is never much more than a couple of thousand baht in it. If you have one take it, if you don't, I would try to open a bank account just incase they ask for one, but sometimes that's not that easy, although personally I've never had any trouble.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk