BANGKOK 15 October 2018 20:23
NanLaew

Mid-range smartphone recommendations

Posted (edited)

I heard good things about the Xiaomi Mi A1 4G/64GB and bought one that has now migrated to one of the nieces. It was recommended on this forum with cost, battery life and lack of any bloatware being big pluses. The camera doesn't seem as sharp as other similar level marques and this was noted in online reviews. But as a phone, it is great. I read that they have a new model coming out and early reviews on Indian media indicates an all round improvement. I don't recall the new model number so asking if anyone can assist and if it is available here yet.

I also hear that Huawei have a decent product on the Thai market so again, asking advice on model number with links and I can follow up.

Other recommendations for a 5.5" for around 10-12,000 baht are welcome. Doesn't have to be the latest and greatest... in fact the ~5000 baht markup on the latest model isn't an imperative.

Thanks!

NL

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

the biggest drawback with dumbphones IMO is the rotten battery time,

so i always ask for the phone with best standby time,

which still isnt better than 2 paltry days.

the phone i was recommended was

model cro-l22

build number cairo-l22xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Huawei Y3 (2017)

Edited by poanoi

Posted (edited)

I am very satisfied with the Samsung J7+.

Excellent display (Full HD, Amoled), fast, enough memory (4 GB, 32 GB), dual cam.

Don't be fooled to buy a "J7 Pro" or "Prime", "J7+" is it.

Bloatware, unfortunately yes. At least with that amount of memory it doesn't hurt much.

It's now down to about 8000 Baht :wink:

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My lad has a J7 Prime 32 gb / 32 gb (card )

* 13mp/8mp - Cameras

* 5.5" FHD TFT

* 4G LTE

* 1.6 GHz Octa Core Processor 

I think we got it a 1 1/2 ago

8000 bht

Now have a problem - The RETURN KEY wont work - getting fixed now ( 1hr ) for 900 bht

But! Apparently Samsung has a built in Battery Saver feature - This needs to be turned off (I'm hoping my 900 bht ain't for 30 minutes of phone configuration)

Everything on phone needs to be updated - to ensure everything functions

Apparently an App called "whats app " interferes with phone

The above I got of Google to see where my 900 bht is going

It's certainly not a Mother Board as that is 2000 bht, but it may be the Return Sensor which comes in at 300 bht 

I bought a Xiaomi Mi Max last year for 11,000 on Lazada

It's got a 6.44" display, 128 GB Storage and has been an excellent phone.  

There is now a Mi Max 2  which is selling on Lazada for less than I paid for my Mi Max 1  

I think it's a great phone!

You can compare the two versions here - https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8582&idPhone2=8057

50 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I bought a Xiaomi Mi Max last year for 11,000 on Lazada

It's got a 6.44" display, 128 GB Storage and has been an excellent phone.  

There is now a Mi Max 2  which is selling on Lazada for less than I paid for my Mi Max 1  

I think it's a great phone!

You can compare the two versions here - https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8582&idPhone2=8057

For Xiao mi, the Mix 2 is the phone to look at -- no bezel like the iPhone X, so you get the big screen in a much smaller body -- the Max is history. But you will pay a bit more also, about B13,000. The One Plus 5 gets great reviews. I am an Asus fan, and just ordered the Zenfone 4 Max Plus (M1), which has a 5.7" screen, with 4 GB of RAM and 32 GB of ROM, and can be had now on Lazada for just under B5000 -- a steal at that price. It gets great reviews across the board, exceptional battery life, except for the camera (the camera on my Zenfone 3 is also disappointing, but not a huge problem IMO). I like Asus because they have a factory service center just a short walk from Fortune Town in BKK, so getting warranty work is relatively easy as compared to some of the other less popular phones in Thailand. The new Zenfone 5z is also a great phone (has the new Snapdragon 845 processor), but it is hard to find and triple the price of the Zenfone 4 Max Plus. Avoid the Max Pro, it is not as good as the max Plus and costs a bit more. Lots of good choices now....

Posted (edited)

Htc u11 Eyes . Cost around 11-12,000 . All singing dancing and can add up to 2 tb of memory using micro sd  card I think it was. Have a htc m8 after iphone and Samsung and will be buying the htc u12 when my present phone dies. Never had any problems with it, dropped it more times than I remember , battery life is good and doing anything on it is straight forward. Also bought a iPhone 6 for 12,000 to use as iPod on long haul flights and when working out as was same cost as a new iPod.

Edited by ronaldo0

Nokia 7 Plus: released just a few months ago and widely rated best mid range phone in 2018.

Just got mine on eBay for 500USD, fantastic device running "Android One".

I believe JayMart sells it in Thailand.

• Haha 1

I totally recommend Vivo, I have a V3, the Mrs has a later one, both do more, and  better, than I ever expected. Much better than the Oppos that went before, and I thought they were wonderful. I am now looking to replace my dying iPad2 with a Huayei - Grrrrr....., I hate Apple!

New Huawei Nova 11.  Now 8.8k and 7.8k on promotions.  Bought one for a friend and one for wife.    4 cameras is a bit of a gimmick but it takes great photos and has 64/4 memory.  Comes with free everything.  Case, tough glass cover self stick, headphones in the promo shops beats the heck out of most other phones for features for dollar. 

The Deerhunter, how  much is the new nova 11 Huawei  please ?

11 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I am very satisfied with the Samsung J7+.

Excellent display (Full HD, Amoled), fast, enough memory (4 GB, 32 GB), dual cam.

Don't be fooled to buy a "J7 Pro" or "Prime", "J7+" is it.

Bloatware, unfortunately yes. At least with that amount of memory it doesn't hurt much.

It's now down to about 8000 Baht :wink:

Why not J7 Pro? I got one:tongue:

The camera(s) are a bit better on the pro I think, not that I am impressed with them?

It was an emergency buy, my old phone died just before I was heading overseas for work and I had to buy something.

I never get a Sammy again, hate the bloatware and the never ending request of log-in to my non existing sammy account.

Okay the phone is okaish to use, screen is okay, responsive as well.

I am interested in the soon to be launched Huawei Honor10 that is much cheaper than the new top camera phone; the P20.

• Confused 1

What about the imobile and Samsung around 8000 thb ? Anything good ?

29 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Why not J7 Pro? I got one:tongue:

The camera(s) are a bit better on the pro I think, not that I am impressed with them?

It was an emergency buy, my old phone died just before I was heading overseas for work and I had to buy something.

I never get a Sammy again, hate the bloatware and the never ending request of log-in to my non existing sammy account.

Okay the phone is okaish to use, screen is okay, responsive as well.

I am interested in the soon to be launched Huawei Honor10 that is much cheaper than the new top camera phone; the P20.

Do you know any brand that is not sold with $hit apps that we do not want ?