webfact

Court decides: AirBnB illegal in Thailand for daily and weekly rental

Very inconvenient for those of us who have booked a visit and now must find a hotel suddenly along with thousands of others.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, newnative said:

Several of us here have run the numbers and it doesn't seem you will be making much on a short-term condo rental--even if it is rented every day, which is doubtful--unless you do all the nasty work yourself--clean the condo, wash the filthy sheets and towels, put your life on hold to be on call all the time to meet the illegal renters and get them checked in and then get them checked out again and check for damage.   Then do it all over again next renter.  Plus all the paperwork.  Sounds like a nightmare to me.  If you are handling 15 or 20 condos you can hire staff but a big operation might also be one that gets noticed, garners lots of complaints, and maybe gets turned in to the authorities and shut down. 

Economic bubbles are caused by people buying into a falsehood, and in this case it's the ?illusion that renting condos on a daily basis is a gold mine. If people always did due diligence before jumping into the next "big thing" the subprime disaster would not have happened and there might be no dispute about renting condos on a daily basis in LOS.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2018 at 4:02 AM, diddygq said:

You obviously have never used AirBnB's in Thailand or anywhere for that matter. They are generally nicer and cheaper than most hotels. I use AirBnB every couple months to rent out a brand new, super modern condo in Hua Hin/Cha Am. It has two rooms, two bathrooms, living room, and a full western kitchen. 1,200 baht after the service charge and cleaning fee. Usually there are 4 or 5 of us so at 200-300 baht per person it's cheaper than a hostel. 

I use airbnb and uber and lyft all the time in the US and other places. Airbnb is a godsend .... stay in a crappy holiday inn or best western for 150 usd or a room with wifi and shower for 30usd? It's a no brainer. But my experience in Thailand is that I can get a decent room for 600 to 1k.... no matter where I turn up for a walk in. Or I use booking.com and get somewhere for under 30 usd. Have never needed to use airbnb since the other methods are so cheap anyway. 

On 5/16/2018 at 9:49 AM, shady86 said:

How can they regulate this? Airbnb is not located in Thailand and acting as a middle man. There is no money transaction done between owner and tenant too.

The people renting and the property is located in Thailand. How can they not regulate this? You mean Thailand can not regulate its home soil?  

I for one am thrilled people cannot rent condos on a temporary basis. Best news this year. Get rid of all the Air BnB landlords and make them buy a hotel and comply with hotel laws if they want to be real estate tycoons. 

😀😀😀😀😀😀👏👏👏👏👏👏

• Like 1

On 5/21/2018 at 10:52 PM, KevinCorr said:

Very inconvenient for those of us who have booked a visit and now must find a hotel suddenly along with thousands of others.

More inconvenient for people who rent condos as a home long term and have to put up with you and short term holiday people. But not anymore. Yes yes yes yes yes. Goodbye and good riddance👏👏👏👏👏

If the bib bothered it would be dead easy. Just start going to the airbnb houses by reserving them one by one. True and tested method with the hookers.

Edited by DrTuner
Typo

9 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

If the bib bothered it would be dead easy. Just start going to the airbnb houses by reserving them one by one. True and tested method with the hookers.

Don’t the police get a “commission” for writing traffic tickets?  Perhaps if they were given a percentage of the fine levied they would be more proactive.

On 5/16/2018 at 9:49 AM, ThorD72 said:

<deleted>@* shitty (pardon the colours) overpriced hotels,.. just gotten used to Airbnb,.. how’s is this gonna turn out,.. 🤔

Pardon me but I am happy the shitty Air bnb users are going to be banned from Thailand. Cheap tourists in a few days or weeks are bad for owners of condos, management of condos and long term tenants of condos. That is what a hotel is for. Hope it turns out that Thailand and other countries stop this crap tourist way around paying for a decent hotel of which there are plenty.