webfact

Court decides: AirBnB illegal in Thailand for daily and weekly rental

On 6/3/2018 at 9:20 PM, DrTuner said:

Would sound logical, if you're running a hotel you need a company and necessary permits. I however doubt Thais could ever get their stuff together and actually enforce anything.

Yeah, but that's a damn shame, isn't it?  Impose a bunch of regulations without properly thinking it through. Then when the thing proves unenforceable or the unintended consequences prove worse than the problem you were trying to fix, quietly stop enforcing.  Then leave this long shadow of a stupid law over people living uncomfortably outside of the law.  No way to run a railroad!

On 6/8/2018 at 6:16 PM, dabhand said:

Looks like AirBnB is also having a few problems in Japan.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44409187

Hosts in Japan are required to register their listing and display their licence number by 15 June to remain active.

I've been affected by this, having booked two Airbnbs in Japan next month; one has the license, the other is pending.

Why can't Thailand do something like this? If the rental is against condominium rules they cannot get a license. If the premises isn't u to standard then ditto. They can then enforce the guest registration and ensure taxes are paid. 

On a different issue, I received the following from Expedia yesterday:

Recently, we have heard about how hotels in top tourist destinations, such as Chiang Mai and Krabi, have been visited by authorities for a hotel license check. This led to many hotels having to close down their businesses for an uncertain period of time. To make sure we take necessary actions, please update your hotel license status in the link below. If you're one of the hotels at risk, please refer to the steps below as a checklist your required actions. 

They have requested that any premises without the appropriate licence closes out their rooms with immediate effect. Expedia also run the Airbnb rival Homeaway. I have no idea if those listers received a similar mail.

So even the big boys are worried about the implications of what's happening in Thailand. Our place has a license from the Tessabaan, and we were inspected yesterday for the first time in maybe ten years; an inspection that can't have taken more than five minutes. We're also registered with the Phuket OrBorJor and pay room tax so I've stated we're licensed. I haven't a clue if this is sufficient, however, nor do any other local business owners! 

I wonder if Booking.com, Agoda and the rest will follow suit.

On 6/14/2018 at 10:31 AM, madmitch said:

I've been affected by this, having booked two Airbnbs in Japan next month; one has the license, the other is pending.

Why can't Thailand do something like this? If the rental is against condominium rules they cannot get a license. If the premises isn't u to standard then ditto. They can then enforce the guest registration and ensure taxes are paid. 

Recently, we have heard about how hotels in top tourist destinations, such as Chiang Mai and Krabi, have been visited by authorities for a hotel license check. This led to many hotels having to close down their businesses for an uncertain period of time. To make sure we take necessary actions, please update your hotel license status in the link below. If you're one of the hotels at risk, please refer to the steps below as a checklist your required actions. 

They have requested that any premises without the appropriate licence closes out their rooms with immediate effect. Expedia also run the Airbnb rival Homeaway. I have no idea if those listers received a similar mail.

So even the big boys are worried about the implications of what's happening in Thailand. Our place has a license from the Tessabaan, and we were inspected yesterday for the first time in maybe ten years; an inspection that can't have taken more than five minutes. We're also registered with the Phuket OrBorJor and pay room tax so I've stated we're licensed. I haven't a clue if this is sufficient, however, nor do any other local business owners! 

One of the big issues is that small guesthouse type hotels often (usually) are unable to obtain a license because of regulations that do not apply to their particular situation or are impossibly to comply with such as having 30% open space in their storefront (or something like that, as best as I understood one owner's explanation). 

So THE question becomes: Is this to provide health and safety to consumers, or to provide protection to big operators against competition?

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:31 AM, madmitch said:

Emails from Expedia, Airbnb, Agoda, Booking.com and others are not manually generated. They would go out simultaneously to all hosts. Some of these have regional offices here in LOS. We use these sites under different email addresses and receive communications at the same time on all of our addresses. We have received no notification such as you describe. Please include the entire email.

Can someone please confirm definitively, that these rules apply to condos and not private houses?  Due to ill health I may have to postpone plans to live in Thailand long term and thought I might rent my house out.  I could let it long term as there is a large international school nearby but being in an area that is popular with Thai tourists, it may be more profitable to rent it short term to tourists.

I realise that I'd need someone to look after the place and conduct handovers to renters but I think I can arrange that.  What I don't want to do is break the law. Maybe I should ask at my local land office?