webfact

Court decides: AirBnB illegal in Thailand for daily and weekly rental

Fault lies with the condo owner who signed a contract with Airbnb that their unit was in lawful local compliance as a daily/weekly rental. Airbnb has no way to know otherwise.

Airbnb (or any other hotel booking agency) could easily ask to see a copy of the hotel registration of anyone wanting to rent out places for less than one month, but they choose not to. That is not a valid defence as far as I can see.

Would you say that it is also not Uber or Grab's job to verify that their drivers have proper insurance? I wouldn't.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Airbnb (or any other hotel booking agency) could easily ask to see a copy of the hotel registration of anyone wanting to rent out places for less than one month, but they choose not to. That is not a valid defence as far as I can see.

Would you say that it is also not Uber or Grab's job to verify that their drivers have proper insurance? I wouldn't.

Paperwork for anyone staying less than a month. Either a typo or you are clueless.

7 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

The issue is the rental of the room for less than 30 days is the legal domain of the licenced hotel. Over 30 day it is a residential tenancy with different laws.

It's not difficult to give a 31 days contract to the tenant in case someone asks him...

Anybody could have to leave earlier :-)

• Like 1

The official-looking Thai document shown in the OP does not seem to be the actual court decision. Can anybody figure out what government agency or office issued it and to whom it is addressed? 

561000004846902.JPEG

Thailand 4.0!
More Thailand 0.4

8 hours ago, MaxLee said:

First UBER and now AirBnB...... 

First running red lights, then motorbikes riding on the pavement, then buying alcohol near schools, and now....

Point is: another new law/threat that is meaningless without enforcement. (Uber operated under threats for 2+ years before they sold - never any real action)

• Like 1

Been visiting Thailand the last 18 years...getting more and more disappointed over this country, was actually planning my next trip using only airbnb, but now I know for sure, will not go to Thailand. Too much plastic, pollution, tourists, restrictions... forget it, I'm going elsewhere from now on...

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Keira1 said:

Been visiting Thailand the last 18 years...getting more and more disappointed over this country, was actually planning my next trip using only airbnb, but now I know for sure, will not go to Thailand. Too much plastic, pollution, tourists, restrictions... forget it, I'm going elsewhere from now on...

Where?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 8OA8 said:

I wonder if this rule is specific to condominiums, or will a person that rented his spare houses for daily or weekly stays via air bnb also be affected? 

I do not think it is specific to condominiums...

Just found 399 properties listed in Thailand on AirBnB  If I can do it so can the powers that be.

The only chance for airbnb is for the currant owners of AirBnB to sell to someone like Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Etc, who will may have the leverage.

• Haha 1