BANGKOK 15 October 2018 15:12
afsheen

Why do most Thai people never reply back with “and you?” when you ask them “how are you?”

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, poanoi said:

i never did understand the 'whatsup' thing,

how to respond.

i think perhaps i should just throw back a

"how is it hanging" right back in their face,

and never bother answering the offensive question

the response to these intrusive "how are you, and you" types is a simple, "Waddup bro'", or better yet, "don't disturb me. I'm busy", and if you really want to wind them up, "glad you ask.." and then launch into a 2 hour War and Peace length explanation of how your day has been.

Edited by norrska
  • Haha 1

but I’m genuinely curious as to why thai people answers in this rude manner

It's nothing to do with rudeness. It's just a cultural thing.

When Thais meet each other, they often ask 'Gin khao lairo?' (Have you eaten yet?). They don't actually want to know if you've eaten already - it's just a form of greeting, as is the 'bpai nai?' (where are you going?) greeting.

In a similar vein, Thais often don't say goodbye at the end of a phone conversation - they often just hang up the phone abruptly. I found this rather annoying until I understood that it was the normal way to end a phone conversation - you just stop talking and hang up!

I entered into the spirit of these traditions by trying to beat everyone that I spoke to on the phone to the 'hang-up'. The split second that we had finished our phone conversation, I would slam down the phone without a word of farewell, and with a grin of satisfaction on my face that I had beaten them to the 'hang-up'.

Gradually, my Thai friends learnt that it was better to say goodbye to me after the phone call, rather than losing face as I beat them to the hang-up!! :)

12 hours ago, afsheen said:

I am Iranian so i dont think it counts as a “farang” :)

dont worry to most you are a Farang

6 minutes ago, Lamkyong said:

6 minutes ago, Lamkyong said:
  12 hours ago, afsheen said:

Actually in India, the word for foreigner firangi is believed to originally come from Persian...so you may be a true blue farang