BANGKOK 22 October 2018 10:06
Samui Bodoh

Eight Months Smoke Free!!!

An offensive as well as insulting troll post has been removed. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AsiaCheese said:

40 days into non-smoking, after 53 years of 2 packs a day. I might well not have "made it" (so far - still somewhat pessimistic) if it had been with will power/cold turkey only. Tried that a number of times before, and failed miserably. This time around, I used Champix, apparently the latest and greatest smoke-stopper drug from Pfizer. While it seems to work quite well, the list of side effects is one of the longest I've ever seen, with an oversized warning re suicide risk at the very top of the bedsheet-sized leaflet. I'm not planning on any of that anytime soon, but I can definitely identify some of the side effects (in combination with raw nerves from simply stopping as such), and so can my girlfriend...

But hey, let's see how things look in another couple of weeks. The recommended duration of the Pfizer-induced trip is 12 weeks, but I might well stop the odd week earlier and see what happens (or doesn't happen, as it were).

I tip my hat to you, Sir!

53 years? I had serious doubts that anyone could top my 35; live and learn...

I am going the 'cold turkey' method as I believe that it is best for me, but I firmly support anything that works. I have heard the name "Champix", but don't know anything else. Could I ask that you expand on your experiences with it for the benefit of any others who might need/use it? I know we can all 'Google' it, but I am a great believer in first-hand stories. What specifically does it do? What are the worst side-effects for you? How did you get it? Anyone else use it?

Again, my true and sincere congratulations! And keep it up!

Cheers

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AsiaCheese said:

40 days into non-smoking, after 53 years of 2 packs a day. I might well not have "made it" (so far - still somewhat pessimistic) if it had been with will power/cold turkey only. Tried that a number of times before, and failed miserably. This time around, I used Champix, apparently the latest and greatest smoke-stopper drug from Pfizer. While it seems to work quite well, the list of side effects is one of the longest I've ever seen, with an oversized warning re suicide risk at the very top of the bedsheet-sized leaflet. I'm not planning on any of that anytime soon, but I can definitely identify some of the side effects (in combination with raw nerves from simply stopping as such), and so can my girlfriend...

But hey, let's see how things look in another couple of weeks. The recommended duration of the Pfizer-induced trip is 12 weeks, but I might well stop the odd week earlier and see what happens (or doesn't happen, as it were).

After 25+ years of 20 a day, I started on the other wonder drug, I forget the name, things were going well and about a week later contracted bronchitis, the hospital doctor asked me to stop the drugs and I did.

The week or 10 days was enough to break the cycle, along with the illness.

I have had the very occasional temporary relapse over the past 4 years, whilst away with the guys’ll bikes, they lasted the duration of the trip and I haven’t had a cigarette for the past year. 

Stick with it, It’s all a combination of ‘the right time’, sickness, wellbeing, money, they drugs, and determination. I look back now and wonder how and why I ever started, it’s a weird feeling. You may not have to go the whole course with the drugs, suck it and see.

• Like 1

Congratulations! I gave up about 20 years ago. I constantly remind myself that I am a smoker who has stopped smoking. I still have the odd inclination, mostly for a cigar. Resistance is a MUST.

The longer you remain off them the shorter and less demanding the urges become and the easier it is to resist. 

• Like 2

Well done, I quite in 2000 after smoking for about he same period as you.

I would go for long walks daily, joined the gym for a few years and then one day I had a heart attack due to over exerting myself, so as I wouldn't wish it upon anyone, don't push yourself, and maybe see a doctor about getting on one coated aspirin tablet per day to reduce your chances of getting a clot as I did.

No doubt your arteries would have taken a beating as mine did, just saying, stay safe and to all you smokers out there, give it up because your polluting my free quality of air 555

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Congratulations!  I quit 51 years ago at the age of 29 and I am sure that the decision is one of the factors that I am doing great today..

Edited by AsiaHand
  • Like 1

Just now, Scouse123 said:

Were you smoking at 4 years old?

It felt that way. I actually started at 14. I blame the early nicotine abuse for me being so lousy at math. . .  having a crafty drag behind the bicycle shed instead of doing lessons!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

It felt that way. I actually started at 14. I blame the early nicotine abuse for me being so lousy at math. . .  having a crafty drag behind the bicycle shed instead of doing lessons!

Only jesting, well done!

You actually quit when it was being promoted by TV and advertised everywhere as a ' cool ' thing to do.

I am really happy I quit but I restrain myself from ever making criticisms of people who do smoke. It's very hard to stop.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 1

Just now, Scouse123 said:

Only jesting, well done!

You actually quit when it was being promoted by TV and advertised everywhere as a ' cool ' thing to do.

I could have blamed Alzheimer's!

As you're clearly better than me at maths, maybe you would enjoy this maths teaser, which has had me and most adults, apparently, scratching our heads. It was part of a test for eight-year-olds!

https://inews.co.uk/light-relief/maths-problem-lighthouses-viral/

I smoked 30 a day from late teens to my mid 40s. I failed in many attempts to quit, I felt inferior to non-smokers, which was every member of my family.  I don't remember why I succeeded in the mid 90s, the cravings I must have felt, it was so long ago.  What I do remember is the joy and pride I felt when first offered a cigarette and honestly answered "No thankyou, I don't smoke"    Well done,  one day at a time.

• Like 2