BANGKOK 20 October 2018 18:46
Samui Bodoh

Eight Months Smoke Free!!!

2 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

So you were four when you started smoking?

We've already been here, see earlier threads.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

# After a week of not smoking I was shopping in Sainsbury's with my Dad, Thai missus and my son, and came up against an old man with his trolley down an aisle - he f***ing reeked/stunk of stale tobacco smoke, like he'd locked himself in a car and chain smoked bad cigarettes. As a smoker I doubt I would have noticed. I realized, Christ, I must have stunk like that all the time...

# Got back to BKK, one thing I always like to do at the airport is get a couple of cans of Chang and sit outside in the smoking area getting a hit off the heat, humidity, traffic noise and smells, a sort of "welcome back home" thing. Did it this time, sat amongst the smokers for 30 minutes, drank my 2 cans of Chang, walked back inside. No real pangs, no real urges....

Cured?

Hi ThaiGuzzi

I sort of feel bad about my answer to your post (above) this morning (too flippant) and thought that I would try again. However, before I do, let me make clear that I am in no way a therapist/expert/competent/or a qualified thingamajimmy or whatever; I am simply just like you in trying to quit. That said...

I was a bit horrified to see your question, "cured?" above, especially after you mention that it has been only five weeks or so for you after 37 years. Unless we are secret non-identical twins separated at birth, we will react differently to the process, but... In my case, I have just hit the eight month mark but I do NOT feel cured at all; in fact I live with a minor daily fear that if I have ONE smoke, just ONE, I will be back on 2 packs a day within 24 hours. Yes, it is that bad. Now, let me be clear; I am doing well, I don't think that I will break down, and I don't think that it'll happen, but the fear is there. I did a little research just now, and while the data is not uniform/conclusive it does estimate that about 50% of people who try to quit fail on their first attempt. Further, it is not until you reach the roughly 2 year mark that the rate of relapse drops significantly, and even then it does NOT disappear completely. In other words; overconfidence kills!

I don't want that to happen to me; I don't want that to happen to you!

Sooooo, NO! You are not cured. You are not even close to being cured. In fact, you are far, far away from being cured and should maintain a level of paranoia that would frighten small children. Okay, perhaps a bit of an exaggeration... or perhaps not!

To sum up, can I suggest that any thought that you have of being 'cured' be tracked down and terminated with extreme prejudice? It is the (mistaken) belief that 'I can handle it' or 'I can quit anytime' or 'quitting is easy' that leads to overconfidence and relapses.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

What say you, TVF members?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Hi ThaiGuzzi

I sort of feel bad about my answer to your post (above) this morning (too flippant) and thought that I would try again. However, before I do, let me make clear that I am in no way a therapist/expert/competent/or a qualified thingamajimmy or whatever; I am simply just like you in trying to quit. That said...

I was a bit horrified to see your question, "cured?" above, especially after you mention that it has been only five weeks or so for you after 37 years. Unless we are secret non-identical twins separated at birth, we will react differently to the process, but... In my case, I have just hit the eight month mark but I do NOT feel cured at all; in fact I live with a minor daily fear that if I have ONE smoke, just ONE, I will be back on 2 packs a day within 24 hours. Yes, it is that bad. Now, let me be clear; I am doing well, I don't think that I will break down, and I don't think that it'll happen, but the fear is there. I did a little research just now, and while the data is not uniform/conclusive it does estimate that about 50% of people who try to quit fail on their first attempt. Further, it is not until you reach the roughly 2 year mark that the rate of relapse drops significantly, and even then it does NOT disappear completely. In other words; overconfidence kills!

I don't want that to happen to me; I don't want that to happen to you!

Sooooo, NO! You are not cured. You are not even close to being cured. In fact, you are far, far away from being cured and should maintain a level of paranoia that would frighten small children. Okay, perhaps a bit of an exaggeration... or perhaps not!

To sum up, can I suggest that any thought that you have of being 'cured' be tracked down and terminated with extreme prejudice? It is the (mistaken) belief that 'I can handle it' or 'I can quit anytime' or 'quitting is easy' that leads to overconfidence and relapses.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

What say you, TVF members?

Thank you for your concern and no offense received...

I think the Carr book helped in explaining it as a drug addiction.

Now i like my drugs, always have, always will, but i have never liked any drug which you can get easily addicted to, ie smack or crack cocaine. So i have never got involved in needles nor pipes nor silver foil, nor the people and circles where these drugs were taken. Hence my hatred of all things junkie.

Everything else - fair game! Where's the party!

So having it shoved in my face as a tobacco junkie reading the book, made me realize that i was addicted to nicotine = hence the immediate cold turkey/strong willpower/ i am stronger than this shIt/relatively easy stop.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Thank you for your concern and no offense received...

I think the Carr book helped in explaining it as a drug addiction.

Now i like my drugs, always have, always will, but i have never liked any drug which you can get easily addicted to, ie smack or crack cocaine. So i have never got involved in needles nor pipes nor silver foil, nor the people and circles where these drugs were taken. Hence my hatred of all things junkie.

Everything else - fair game! Where's the party!

So having it shoved in my face as a tobacco junkie reading the book, made me realize that i was addicted to nicotine = hence the immediate cold turkey/strong willpower/ i am stronger than this shIt/relatively easy stop.

Hmm...

Perhaps I was mistaken and we are non-identical twins secretly separated at birth after all!

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Hang in there...

13 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

So you were four when you started smoking?

Fourteen, as it happens. The inability to do simple sums is a common side-effect of smoking.

• Haha 1