Thaivisa Web Content Team

Belgian Volleyball Team Yellow Tigers Blasted Online for ‘Slant Eyes’ Gesture

After numerous stories of athletes around the world put on blast for making “slant eyes”, the racist gesture still lives on.

Many volleyball fans have recently called out the two players of the Belgian National Team Yellow Tigers for their racist “slant eyes” gesture that they posted online before their first stop in China for the Volleyball Nations League tournament last week.

While at the airport last week on their way to China, setter (#17) Ilka Van de Vyver posted a picture online showing her teammate, middle blocker (#04) Nathalie Lemmens, doing the offensive gesture with the caption “on the road to” followed by a Chinese flag and a Japanese flag, Vollywood reported.

Belgian Yellow Tigers’ setter and middle blocker eventually apologized by posting a couple of photos soon after their first picture attracted outrage from many Chinese volleyball fans.

Both of them then shared photos with their hands forming the shape of a heart. In 23-year-old Lemmens’ picture, the caption reads, “We apologize. We didn’t want to harm,” while Vyver, who has been playing for the team since 2010, wrote “We apologize. We love China.”

After the backlash, both Lemmens and Vyver set their Instagram to private. The Belgian Yellow Tigers and Fédération Internationale de Volleyball (FIVB) have yet to officially address what these Belgian players did.

Full article

• Haha 1

i did not know this a racist act ?

Children do it all the time .

If i am in China for the first time i would do the same , it;s just to show people that 

you are in China , nothing more.

Thes days you are not allowed anything , we are watched every where on camera ,as if we are in a prison ........

I would never apologize, ........What about all those dumb Trump -bashers ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, lucjoker said:

i did not know this a racist act ?

Children do it all the time .

If i am in China for the first time i would do the same , it;s just to show people that 

you are in China , nothing more.

Thes days you are not allowed anything , we are watched every where on camera ,as if we are in a prison ........

I would never apologize, ........What about all those dumb Trump -bashers ?

do you put on some black face paint when you are in africa too? or puff your mouth pretend you are fat when you see obese people?

its called decency and respect, seems like you don't know much about what offends others.

Edited by mike324
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mike324 said:

do you put on some black face paint when you are in africa too? or puff your mouth pretend you are fat when you see obese people?

its called decency and respect, seems like you don't know much about what offends others.

read my quote first ,before you start wining.

Or are you a fanatic controler ,wise guy ?

2 hours ago, lucjoker said:

read my quote first ,before you start wining.

Or are you a fanatic controler ,wise guy ?

yes I am winning and wiser