BANGKOK 18 November 2018 22:07
hydraides

30 Hours Teaching a week, Kindergarden, 32k Salary, Opinions

Posted (edited)

I have been offered a job from an agency .......of a 30 Hours Teaching a week, teaching Kindergarden in Central Bangkok with 32k Salary amonth

The teaching hours seem high vs other jobs but is this is because its kindergarden level ??(I would finish school at 3/3.30pm so i finish earlier than most teachers)

The agency worker on the phone didn't seem forthcoming when I asked her if a work permit was provided but "We have to wait to see what the school says on your performance"

----What do people think here. should I even bother attending the interview or am i being taken for a ride?

Edited by hydraides

Add up your living expenses as well as travel costs to the kindergarten (30 hours !!) and then call your agency and blow a big raspberry down the phone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't mind the pay so much. It would be liveable for me and the location is nea

What worries me : The hours seem a bit ridiculous + that would be non stop teaching, ....and I am worried this is a dodgy agency which won't pay come pay day?!

I looked up the agency online....., they are on google ( but no reviews?!) , and no website.

Seems suspect

30 contact hours a week is a lot, you also have to take into account, depending on you experience, lesson planning and prep time. the money is on the low side but if you dont have an expensive lifestyle maybe that doesn't bother you.

Hmm yes its 30 hours a week which would 4 x 1 hour lesson morning, 2 x 1 in the afternoon , so 30 teaching hours back to back with no time for lesson planning seems a bit a insane

Would like to teach kindergarden level but I doubt I have the stamina if the only break is going to be lunch time

Like drugs, just say no. Find something better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hydraides said:

The agency worker on the phone didn't seem forthcoming when I asked her if a work permit was provided but "We have to wait to see what the school says on your performance"

Not good. Run away.

• Like 1

Yes well they are now saying they can get me a work permit but 30 hours a week seems bit of a joke

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, hydraides said:

I don't mind the pay so much. It would be liveable for me and the location is nea

What worries me : The hours seem a bit ridiculous + that would be non stop teaching, ....and I am worried this is a dodgy agency which won't pay come pay day?!

I looked up the agency online....., they are on google ( but no reviews?!) , and no website.

Seems suspect

OP, you wrote Kindergarten. I guess you mean Prathomsuksa- grade one to six, perhaps Kindergarten included. The concentration span of a 4 to 5-year-old in a Thai Kindergarten is about 15 to 20 minutes.

I taught many years at primary level, but 30 hours per week is absolute insane wouldn't even make me go to an interview. Show the agency one of your finger next to your ring finger, please. 

Edited by jenny2017

Check and make sure that it is actually 30 hours of teaching.   My guess is that you will be a homeroom teacher and will be responsible to be with the students all day.   You may do the bulk of the teaching, but generally there are other teachers who help with some subjects, such as PE, Thai language, music, dancing etc.  

Also, is there a teaching assistant in the classroom?  

You also may want to check if there is a curriculum to follow, which may cut down a lot of work.   I know some schools where the lesson plans are done in advance.  

It's also a good idea to have some experience with teaching KG.   It's not for everyone.   It's not that it's all that difficult, but you are very much immersed with the same students all day.  

• Like 2

Kindergarten usually pays a premium. This sounds like long, high energy hours at dreadful pay. 

30 hours of contact with kindergartners, I'd be toast.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ozmeldo said:

Kindergarten usually pays a premium. This sounds like long, high energy hours at dreadful pay. 

30 hours of contact with kindergartners, I'd be toast.

I've taught KG for a short time.   It's definitely a specialty area and not for everyone.    I know a lot of good KG teachers who wouldn't trade it for anything.   Most of them are females with a very mothering, nurturing personality. 

• Like 1

Or, young women who don't have children of their own yet, but think they might want to someday. They want to practise their motherhood skills on someone else's kids.

• Like 1

I taught KG for a few years. There is no way that you can teach 30 hours per week without any time-out for lesson preparation etc.

If nothing else, I'd turn down the job because they are not forthcoming about the WP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1