heybruce

Guest houses must now get a hotel license--any info?

A friend of mine who used to run a guest house told me that the government is now requiring guest houses with less than 40 rooms to get a hotel license.  A hotel license in Thailand is a major expense for a small business, especially for the older guest houses which don't have the detailed documentation required.   As a consequence, numerous guest houses are closing, just before the beginning of the summer backpacking season.

Has anyone else heard of this?  Does anyone have additional information?

Seems like its more than a guesthouse with 40 rooms.

• Like 2

The rule was 11 or 12 rooms = guesthouse. Above that threshold = hotel.

22 minutes ago, IsaanFam said:

The rule was 11 or 12 rooms = guesthouse. Above that threshold = hotel.

Perhaps, but the rule has not been enforced until the last month or two.  I think the majority of guesthouses in Chiang Mai are between 12 and 40 rooms. 

When my friend inquired into getting a hotel license over a year ago she was told there was no such license for a business such as her guesthouse.  It has 18 rooms.

The law. The envelopes. The Thailand.

Basically I think the law always said that this would require a hotel license. Just like you must pay 10,000 THB fine if you drive at nights with a red plate (so I was told multiple times),

I guess the situation with your friend is just a single incident and he/she knows what to increase to make problems go away.

• Haha 1

No hotel license if 4 rooms or less, 20 people or less. Don't know where the above info came from.

• Like 2

The authorities are starting the long overdue crackdown on illegal homestay. This may be a consequence of that crackdown?

6 hours ago, IsaanFam said:

The law. The envelopes. The Thailand.

Basically I think the law always said that this would require a hotel license. Just like you must pay 10,000 THB fine if you drive at nights with a red plate (so I was told multiple times),

I guess the situation with your friend is just a single incident and he/she knows what to increase to make problems go away.

My friend is no longer in the guesthouse business.  However according to her several guesthouses in the old city have been forced to close.  This may be a case of envelopes no longer working, much like with the late night bars that are no more (I know, lock-ins are available.  I like a bar that is openly open, with lights, music, pretties...).

The big guys going after the little guys yet again,  it is a trend.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, daoyai said:

I don't know of specific info. but it is possible the THA put on the pressure. It would be the smaller expensive boutique places that would be the target if so, cheap guest houses would be collateral damage.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, daoyai said:

What is wrong with enforcing the law? If Thais don't like it, they can change the law.

• Like 1

I haven't heard of guest houses being turned away when applying. Its a case of having to front up the costs the same as a big hotel. Hardly fair when potential earnings are considered. In addition to the hotel license anyone wanting to start the process will now need a "building permit" from the Tesabahn before they can start the process of Hotel License. I heard of one area where the closure has been strictly enforced and all told they could not reopen until they got the right paperwork!

In the present crackdown I have heard places 4 rooms or less are exempt because of the rule as above( - hotels being more than 4 rooms).

14 hours ago, heybruce said:

The Thai's can change the law?  Including the small business people?  Are you aware of what kind of government Thailand has now?

As noted above, until recently owners of small guest houses were turned away when they asked about hotel licenses.  Now they are being put out of business for not having them.  Most people would agree that this is wrong.

Yes, I am well aware of everything you reference. You have to read between the lines.

I tend to work on the principle that "life is <deleted> and then you die". That way I'm pleasantly surprised when something nice does happen.