BANGKOK 12 December 2018 05:57

On 11/29/2018 at 1:23 AM, canthai55 said:

This just posted on a dedicated forum ...

"It has been posted the AU models,apparently the same as the EU models have a kit, which is the US model ECU and remove the intake baffle."

https://www.motoonline.com.au/2018/10/18/2019-honda-crf450l-review/

So 25 to 40 HP is easy

You might have killed the thread with this positive info....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd be very surprised if this bike was released in Thailand - I'd love it if that happened though. That said, I don't really understand what all the drama is about, regarding performance and price.

From what I can gather the engine (despite being heavily restricted) seems exceptionally close to the CRF450R and this is a very, very, good thing (unlike the 250L which has no connection to the MX bike). If people can get 60 ponies out of a DRZ400 I really can't see it being that hard to get this bike to do much better (voiding warranty etc. of course).

Anyway, lots of interesting discussion here.... but as someone who has streeted a CRF450R, I can say that the L would have been a much cheaper option....not to mention having much better electrics / subframe / NVH / maint. / gearbox / controls / yadda yadda...

As far as price goes - if we use the US as a base:

CRF450R $9,150

CRF450L $10,399 (+$1,249) 

While I appreciate that the L is not the 'same' bike out of the box as the R, that is a pretty small increment to pay for getting a road-legal 'almost' MX bike (despite obviously being heavily restricted).

For reference, I spent about 200k getting my CRF450R street-able from pure dirt trim. (and I probably spent 20-30k on 17"s and tyres??)

^  This is what people cant understand. Why does it only have 25 bhp , when a DRZ , from the nineties , has so much more ( a very under-rated bike ) . If its priced at 300 K , or maybe up to 350 K , then it may sell in small numbers , but only if someone buys one ,  and proves on a dyno , a simple ECU and exhaust change gives it back the robbed power. It will still be way below your DRZ and 450 R , but 40 bhp is ok. But can this lost power be found . Warranty will be void. Some will take the chance , some wont.

1 hour ago, ktm jeff said:

^  This is what people cant understand. Why does it only have 25 bhp , when a DRZ , from the nineties , has so much more ( a very under-rated bike ) . If its priced at 300 K , or maybe up to 350 K , then it may sell in small numbers , but only if someone buys one ,  and proves on a dyno , a simple ECU and exhaust change gives it back the robbed power. It will still be way below your DRZ and 450 R , but 40 bhp is ok. But can this lost power be found . Warranty will be void. Some will take the chance , some wont.

True, but in theory, (and from what I've tried to gather about the bike) there would be nothing stopping you from changing piston/valves/cam etc. to 450R and you would beat the DRZ on power easily (not that it's a mean feat)....not to mention handling and so on.

I'd be very surprised if this bike wasn't pretty easy to uncork....it's just a single cycl, single cam etc....not that much to them really. 

^.  I see what you are saying , but changing the piston , cam etc , wont do any favours to the service intervals. At 1,000 KM already , some people are concerned about them.  Yes , i know thats good compared to a 70 BHP moto-crosser. Hats off to you for putting a 450 R on the road. I have a 500cc 2-stroke KTM on a "Q" plate in England , he he. I think the basic engine specs of this L model - heavier crank etc - are sensible for most people but can anyone 100% confirm the differences between the standard model , and the low power EU model. I remember people buying Honda Fireblades a few years ago , in Thailand , and were very angry they were sold restricted 130 BHP versions without being told , when all the Kawasaki,s , Yamaha,s etc had 180 BHP. Some poor sods spent over 200,000 trying to bring them up to power. It wasnt just an exhaust , ECU , cams , injectors and throttle bodies. Dont think they ever got those bikes right. This 450 is a simpler engine , but id like to see a before and after dyno charts before paying out. If the price of the EU restricted bike is right , and its an easy ECU job , this bike could be just what some people have being waiting for.

Edited by ktm jeff

To go from EU and Aus spec requires a USA ECU and remove the airbox restriction inlet

Viola - 40 HP

13 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

when a DRZ , from the nineties , has so much more ( a very under-rated bike )

One word.

Repeated often like a mantra.

Emissions Emissions Emissions.

Euro 3

Euro 4

and soon to be the dreaded Euro 5.

Same as the 2011-2015 Ducati 796 Monster and current 797 Monster. Both have the identical 803cc air cooled twin, same valve sizes, cam timing, CR etc.

One has 87 bhp and one has 74 bhp.

Differences being airbox, throttle bodies and ECU.

Only.

Emissions emissions emissions.........

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Hear Ya - this really gets my goat.

Read a report from the USA years ago when CATS were being installed on cars.

The coal fired power plants put out more pollution in the USA in one day than ALL the Vehicles - cars, light, medium, heavy trucks, motorcycles do in one year in the whole of N. America

But do those 'kin guys have to clean up their act ? Hell No !

Here it's even better! They have laws which the manufacturers have to follow but then zero enforcement which means dark smoke spewing diesel trucks everywhere AND people burn shit like plastic and whole farm fields all the time nearly everywhere. So in the end the people get all the negatives (more expensive and shittier bikes, huge amount of pollution) and none of the benefits. Yey!

• Like 1