Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
meadish_sweetball

Thai Newspaper Headlines

304 posts in this topic

I think it is much more akin to 'burning the midnight oil' - i.e. they compose headlines late at night, by candlelight (implying insufficient lighting, a metaphor for unclarity) - implying mistakes easily slip in.

Sayings and idioms often deviate from formal grammar - much like the shorthand of newspaper headlines. Hence the lack of preposition between ???? and ?????. Note also the proximity rhyme between ????? and ????? - very commonly used in traditional Thai poetry and song lyrics.

Well, Khun Meadish, that is not correct.

????????? means to sit staring at a the candle-fire. It's used when someone who claim that they can see the future or whatever which had happened in the past or future by watching through the water in the alms-bowl of a monk which has candles lighten and put them around the alms-bowl. When it's used with journalists, ?????????????????? means that journalist had made up a story by without knowing the true story.

Wow, thanks Khun Yoot.

So important to have someone who can fill in the context when needed.

Actually, I had thought that Meadish's supposition was pretty good, in that sense of the image of journos working on a late deadline but lacking the real facts, and then just making it up, rather than holding the story until they could find out what the real facts are.

But now that you've explained the meaning of the compound word, it makes even more sense.

I'm indebted to you both for steering me away from the tendency to look for a direct word-by-word translation - which is nearly always foolhardy.

In any event, I can add one bit of context to all of this from my own area of expertise in the profession: when bad journalists invent stories (whether it be from the deadline pressure, as suggested by Meadish; or simply divining it, as Yoot says; or just being lazy and incompetent), we say "he never lets the facts get in the way of a good story."

Cheers.

I think it is much more akin to 'burning the midnight oil' - i.e. they compose headlines late at night, by candlelight (implying insufficient lighting, a metaphor for unclarity) - implying mistakes easily slip in.

Sayings and idioms often deviate from formal grammar - much like the shorthand of newspaper headlines. Hence the lack of preposition between นั่ง and เทียน. Note also the proximity rhyme between เทียน and เขียน - very commonly used in traditional Thai poetry and song lyrics.

Well, Khun Meadish, that is not correct.

นั่งเทียน means to sit staring at a the candle-fire. It's used when someone who claim that they can see the future or whatever which had happened in the past or future by watching through the water in the alms-bowl of a monk which has candles lighten and put them around the alms-bowl. When it's used with journalists, นั่งเทียนเขียนข่าว means that journalist had made up a story by without knowing the true story.

I see - that makes sense now that you explain it. You learn something new every day. Thank you for the correction. :o

It's good to see that Yoot is keeping a friendly and informative eye on the forum.

Here's one I saw yesterday in the paper, it's not a headline and I guess the origin is Chinese. Does it mean something like familiar with so don't want to punish?

ฃูเอี๋ย the sentence was มีพฤติการรณ์ประนีประนอม ฃูเอียต่ออำนาจเก่า

It's good to see that Yoot is keeping a friendly and informative eye on the forum.

Here's one I saw yesterday in the paper, it's not a headline and I guess the origin is Chinese. Does it mean something like familiar with so don't want to punish?

ซูเอี๋ย is from Teochew dialect , it's used as a loan word which means the same as สมยอม in Thai. To translate the meaning to English, it should be to connive or to agree with one another.

For the sentence on the news, it means to have a compromise behavior and agree with the old power( Thaksin's government). Well, it might not completely correct since I don't know the whole context. But hope this helps. :o

ซูเอี๋ย is from Teochew dialect , it's used as a loan word which means the same as สมยอม in Thai. To translate the meaning to English, it should be to connive or to agree with one another.

For the sentence on the news, it means to have a compromise behavior and agree with the old power( Thaksin's government). Well, it might not completely correct since I don't know the whole context. But hope this helps. :o

The following is from this weekend's Matichon Weekend:

"ในทางกลับกัน แม้จะเล่น "บทบู๊" แต่ดูเหมือนสถานการณ์ร้อนทางการเมืองจะลดอุณหภูมิลงอย่างน่าอัศจรรย์ ทั้งที่หลายคนคาดการณ์กันไว้ถึงขนาดต้องมีเลือดตกยางออกกันบ้าง"

Can anyone tell me what the meaning of 'เล่น "บทบู๊" ' is? Lexitron has บู๊ as:

บู๊ as "to fight"

Def. ชอบต่อสู้โดยใช้กำลัง.

Sample:เธอบู๊ได้กับทุกคนไม่เคยเกรงกลัวหน้าไหนอยู่แล้ว

A second definition is:

บู๊ [N] military

Syn. ฝ่ายบู๊

Def. ขุนนางฝ่ายทหารของจีน.

Sample:เขาเป็นฝ่ายบู๊มือสำคัญของฮ่องเต้องค์นี้

Thanks.

Can anyone tell me what the meaning of 'เล่น "บทบู๊" ' is?

It means " playing the role of using force or fighting "

ID: 38   Posted (edited)

What's the meaning of the following portion of a headline in Matichon today:

แฉข่าวแค่โยนหินถามทาง

Edited by DavidHouston

ยอมรับ " ไมได้ เป็น ผบ.ทบ. " " มนตรี " เปิดใจ ! แฉข่าวแค่โยนหินถามทาง

is the full headline... and like you David, I don't have a clue. แฉ ข่าว means 'to reveal', but as for โยน หิน ถาม ทาง I don't know.

i think it means , "testing the waters" , "seeing how the land lies".

throwing stones to see if the road is solid enough to walk down , if the puddles are deep , clearing the way of snakes etc.

montri is releasing a teaser, and will decide on future actions depending on the response.

Excellent, thank you. Seems to me that "โยนหินถามทาง", [lit.] "throwing a rock to inquire about the path" is more appropriate in Meatish's world where you might find yourself walking across a frozen pond wondering if the ice ahead is strong enough to hold you up. I wonder where the phrase came from in the Thai world: quicksand and swamps, pitfalls and animal traps, bamboo and rope bridges across gorges?

Thanks for the help.

is the full headline... and like you David, I don't have a clue. แฉ ข่าว means 'to reveal', but as for โยน หิน ถาม ทาง I don't know.

I don't know it either. But it seemed interesting so I put โยนหินถามทาง into google and it returned thousands of hits. From looking through them my feeling is that it is something like "testing out the waters" and letting chance lead the way. I guess it would mean something like "tossing stones to find the way." It seemed to be used in politics more than any other area both in terms of "should I run or shouldn't I" so that do something to get a feel for the climate or it seemed to me like sometimes a poster on a forum would title his post with that as if to say that he is soliciting responses to find an answer/direction. Something like, tossing an idea out to see what others think.

I don't know it either. But it seemed interesting so I put โยนหินถามทาง into google and it returned thousands of hits. From looking through them my feeling is that it is something like "testing out the waters" and letting chance lead the way. I guess it would mean something like "tossing stones to find the way." It seemed to be used in politics more than any other area both in terms of "should I run or shouldn't I" so that do something to get a feel for the climate or it seemed to me like sometimes a poster on a forum would title his post with that as if to say that he is soliciting responses to find an answer/direction. Something like, tossing an idea out to see what others think.

seems I was beaten to the punch. I'll defer to taxexile.

no need to defer , css , we are all (well at least i am) โยนหินถามทาง on the language forum !

Excellent, thank you. Seems to me that "โยนหินถามทาง", [lit.] "throwing a rock to inquire about the path" is more appropriate in Meatish's world where you might find yourself walking across a frozen pond wondering if the ice ahead is strong enough to hold you up. I wonder where the phrase came from in the Thai world: quicksand and swamps, pitfalls and animal traps, bamboo and rope bridges across gorges?

Thanks for the help.

Someone I just spoke with inferred that it has an element of chance involved in terms of choosing the direction. I wonder if the stone tossing idea comes from tossing stones to see which way they point rather than tossing stones to test the safety of the path? Kind of like heads I go this way, tails that way. I feel like this may fit better too as I get the feel that it is tossing stones to select between paths rather than determining whether the path in front is safe.