Posted (edited)

Haven't been to HH in a looong time, I think it was 2005!  My wife said it was a good town, kept clean(er) because the King stayed there.  I've been meaning to go back for a look. 

Does HH have a sewage treatment facility and reasonable refuse control?  Pattaya and Jomtien seem to be bursting at the seams with that. 

Edited by 55Jay

Posted (edited)

@55Jay "Does HH have a sewage treatment facility and reasonable refuse control" - there doesn't seem to be anything like the problems we hear about from the other side of the gulf with this, and the presence of the Palace may well have something to do woth this.

Hua Hin's Westerner tourism levels have never really recovered from the Airport Invasion, nearly a decade ago. I moved there in 2007 and evenings in Bintablock were very busy. Since 2009, after such backlog of bookings as there was played through, the season has gotten shorter, later and generally smaller. In contrast to that, the numbers of Thai, Chinese and, increasingly Malay, tourists have made up a lot of the numbers meaning that it can sometimes be quite difficult to get a room in the budget and boutique hotel sector. Of course, Thai and Chinese eat chicken feet and rice and whatever, from the local stalls - you don't much see their presence in Burger King. Much of the increase in condo numbers has gone to Thais and the numbers of Thai during the various local festivals and holidays can get up to plague levels. Even recent efforts to expand tourism via the airport seem to be focusing on bringing Malay and Singaporean golfers to the resort, rather than facilitating access for Western tourists. On the other hand, life has actually been fairly good for the expat population, a few price rises notwithstanding.

Edited by korkenzieher
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, korkenzieher said:

@55Jay "Does HH have a sewage treatment facility and reasonable refuse control" - there doesn't seem to be anything like the problems we hear about from the other side of the gulf with this, and the presence of the Palace may well have something to do woth this.

Hua Hin's Westerner tourism levels have never really recovered from the Airport Invasion, nearly a decade ago. I moved there in 2007 and evenings in Bintablock were very busy. Since 2009, after such backlog of bookings as there was played through, the season has gotten shorter, later and generally smaller. In contrast to that, the numbers of Thai, Chinese and, increasingly Malay, tourists have made up a lot of the numbers meaning that it can sometimes be quite difficult to get a room in the budget and boutique hotel sector. Of course, Thai and Chinese eat chicken feet and rice and whatever, from the local stalls - you don't much see their presence in Burger King. Much of the increase in condo numbers has gone to Thais and the numbers of Thai during the various local festivals and holidays can get up to plague levels. Even recent efforts to expand tourism via the airport seem to be focusing on bringing Malay and Singaporean golfers to the resort, rather than facilitating access for Western tourists. On the other hand, life has actually been fairly good for the expat population, a few price rises notwithstanding.

Very concise summary.  Exactly what I had in mind.  Thank you! 

On 6/3/2018 at 11:56 AM, Hummin said:

No it want, chineese is like brits, they go same place 😁

just 10 min north, we had the beach for our self in High Season! 

I'm not impressed with the Chinese tourists, but they're not that bad.

On 6/6/2018 at 7:14 PM, korkenzieher said:

Why would they want to 'facilitate access for Western tourists'? Is there something special about them?

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:59 AM, ukrules said:

Yes, it's pretty quiet right now, it has been for about a month - since about the start of the low season.

I miss a low season. Wasn't too long ago that Pattaya had one.  One could actually walk across 2nd road.  There was little to no traffic.  I liked it.  XMAS and New Year of course were great times, but nothing wrong with less hustle and bustle

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Why would they want to 'facilitate access for Western tourists'? Is there something special about them?

On the whole, they spend more. And that is, apparently, what the government wants.

Edited by korkenzieher

On 6/6/2018 at 9:21 AM, poanoi said:

ok, so you go to the shopping mall when you want air con, what a blast,

on the bright side it must be bliss to be so easily amused,

not to mention dirt cheap

You probably likes to change the meaning of words (but just need to read, not so difficult c'mon)...

I wrote " because mainly we go there just for a short roundtrip enjoyng the air con inside more than shopping" 

Being clear you misunderstand i'll explain using more easy words ok?

We do not like that place so much, and we honestly do not understand how they survive being empty all the time... (ok, we underrstand, but surely wasn't what they planned)  moreover having such a unfitted staff working inside, busy with mobile phones more than Customer care... 

Food inside are just mediocre, like in a lot of similar malls, overpriced and not tasty as the one you can easely cook home yourself with a minimum effort.

This is why we go there not so often, but it remain a kind of circus where however we pass sometime, and the thing we enjoy more it's the air con... who doesn't mean we go there for this dude, but it remain the only positive thing inside 😂

But if you like the place, or the food, please enjoy it, i was just answering to the original post...

Peace and love

🙏

On 6/2/2018 at 11:30 PM, Hummin said:

Father Ted have decent food, and sorry to say not to many restaurants that I can pin out for you, but ther is decent food for decent prices. The good restaurants if often better in the high season also. I had a 2. Experience on the Nr one steak restaurant downtow, no naming, but I did let them know what I thought, and hope they have fixed that the next time I show up. 

I had my 3. negative experience this time, and Im not going back and pay high prices for ordinery food! Sorry the Number one Steak restaurant have lost its genuin prima quality mark in my eyes.