BANGKOK 11 December 2018 02:14
Marvo

Guns on the street in Thaiand

Is it allowed to carry a gun in Thailand, for self -defense purposes? Is a license available for such a thing?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

if you have a biz worth x baht, dont recall x but its very low,

like around 200k baht

• Like 1

On 6/18/2018 at 2:53 PM, Marvo said:

Not looking to carry one, no.

Just wondering how many of all those guns that seem to be out there are actually likely to be legal.

Good...

The legal ones are going to be in the sub-1% range. 

• Like 1

It's true a license is needed, it's also true that illegal gun sales are rampant and the penalties for being caught with illegal hand guns are small, and my Thai adult son just told me there are many illegal sellers openly advertising on facebook etc.

Then we have the case of a cop in Pattaya caught selling illegal hand guns to local teenagers. He had sold 162 hand guns to teeenagers in the 60 days before he was caught. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

If you can fit a tall building into your holster that appears to be legal and more deadly. 

• Haha 2

We had a shootout on the beach here on Samui a couple of months ago. 

Two rival families involved in jetskis, two dead, both had carry licence. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have a collection of firearms back home that are sitting in locked cabinets, probably bright red with rust by now (they've been there for quite some time now). 

I wanted to bring them to Thailand but was told that only a very select few can get a license (legally) and even then it was only for 2 specific reasons (direct threat on you life, like if you are a  "high and mighty kind of person that someone might put a contract out on"  or if your business involved large amounts of cash).

As it stands now, too many hassles, no justifiable reason to have them (not a lot of competition target shooting going on around here it seems) and the cost to bring them here would probably make it not worthwhile any ways, especially at this stage.

• Thanks 2