Khun Tae

Which Int School Are Worth The School Fees (Bangkok) ?

These franchise operations cash in by marketing and selling on the name of their franchiser or "partner' organization.

As with all things you get what you pay for but high prices don't equate to high quality necessarily.

Some are ridiculously priced and take advantage of the demand for "brand name" and the belief in many parents that regardless of anything else, just saying "I went to xxxx school" will open doors for them, especially if they want them to go to an overseas university. 

There are some very average expensive schools and some very good not so expensive ones. Correctly identifying them, and which one suits your child/children is the challenge.

Same experience with private schools in all the countries I've lived in. Caveat Emptor!

I don’t know about Bangkok but can highly recommend St. Andrews School, Green Valley , Rayong. 

Not cheap but well worth it. Highly qualified teachers.

Our boy has been there 4.5 years and it has been an excellent experience. 

As someone posted what else can you give your child that is better than a superior education? 

I've been looking at St Andrews, Bangkok Prep and Traill - a British curriculum is important for me.  Pattana seems to be the most expensive and beyond my means!

The way I rationalized it was I spent my kids inheritance on their education. I am with you on the enormous prices charged by private schools and the pressure on students these days to be perfect. One thing about Bangkok is a lot of international companies pay for the tuition for their executives so supply and demand is involved with the prices. Good luck with your decision. 

21 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I've been looking at St Andrews, Bangkok Prep and Traill - a British curriculum is important for me.  Pattana seems to be the most expensive and beyond my means!

St Andrews 71 (Nord Anglia owned) or Bangkok Prep would both be a good choice.

They generally hire directly from the UK and staff must be fully qualified. You won't be getting inexperienced or unqualified teachers in their staff. 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2018 at 8:49 AM, Sydebolle said:

Worse are those "bilingual schools" where English is thought by underpaid (i.e. THB 15'000/month)  Philippinos and the rest is taught by Thai teachers according to a Thai curriculum. 
The kids don't learn English and if so, speak it with the same terrible accent while most teachers are more focussed on pleasing the parents on what/how good the child was/behaved today at school. 

A prime example was Hastin Kindergarten in Pattaya; it took me less than six months and a couple of times me picking up the kid to realize that this is the wrong way to go. 

taught is what I meant and thought is what the spell checker made of it 😞 

Good comments.

I think schools with inexperienced teachers and/or under qualified teachers should not be considered at any price. So if there are schools like that with high fees avoid them.

Pay the high price if you can for good schools. If you can't then consider going home for the sake of the children...

I very much like the post where thinking that you are using your kid's inheritance to pay their fees!

On 6/19/2018 at 12:00 PM, mike324 said:

What do you want from your children. Schools like Shewbury are very academic, the student are being accept to schools like Oxford and Cambridge. Its worth the money if you want your kids to be academic. While other schools like ISB don't focus as much on academics, but producing well rounded  and creative students. Its worth it if you can afford it (money on education is chump change for you). For those that can't, most would say its not.

Our daughter really thrived at The Regent's (Huaikwang). The downside is that they cycle overseas teachers out to save paying them the big bucks.

That said, there are substantial scholarships readily available. And even the one year or two year teachers are dedicated to the kids. It is is warm and safe environment with strong academics and music.