suzannegoh

Disappointing Night at The River Market

The River Market was advertising this event (a concert by a famed vocal group from Yale) for a month, attracted a full house of people ordering food & drink, but somehow they weren't to make sure that they had a functioning sound system. We left a half hour into the show because we couldn't hear anything, 1500 baht poorer and having bad feelings about the Duke's chain.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1931438816901619&id=100001065579920

Have given The River Market a few chances ( people visiting seem to want to go there). For me, and usually my visitors, the food is very average but dramatically over priced. Caters for tourists mainly I guess, if you live here, you can get far better far cheaper, and dont get me wrong, I dont mind paying good money for good quality, but this place is just bang average at best.

• Like 2

The last time I went there we ordered a couple of mains and sides to go with the mains. After 10 minutes the waiter came to us to tell us one of the mains (fish) 'no have'. The sides we ordered were to go with the fish. They arrived.

• Like 2

4 times and 4 experiences that were below average.  I've given up on that chain.  Better places to eat with tastier food.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Trujillo said:

I thought you were not allowed to "name and shame." Has this policy changed? I can think of a bunch of shops and restaurants that deserve a good flogging. 

I was suspended for criticizing the food at one of this chains outlets so maybe the rules have changed.

• Like 1

Apparently the owner of "this chain" has a habit of threatening people who dont say great things about his places! Be careful!

This event was organized by CM International Rotary Club as a fundraiser for our Children's Service Projects and we lost money because we had to pay the expenses of the Yale group during their time in CM and so few people donated at the concert because they were disappointed with the sound system.

Many people were very disappointed with the quality of the sound system at River Market Thursday evening, none more so that Dave, the owner.  During the past year he had a stage and sound system installed and it's worked fine with bands where the singers use the microphone right in front of their mouth and their instruments are wired into the speakers.  It simply wasn't designed for an acapella group.  The sound situation wasn't really any better than it had been in previous years for the Yale group.

The turnout of this event was much larger than expected and River Market didn't have time to adjust.  They received over 100 reservations in the 24 hours before the event.  Dave and CMI Rotary had a difference of opinion in whether this should be a free event.  In previous years "passing the hat" at a free concert worked just fine, but it didn't this year because so many people turned out, many kept talking during the performance and the place was just too crowded.  

Next year there will be a have to be adjustments, not the least of which will be advance purchase tickets, with pricing to encourage people to make advance reservations. i.e. higher entry price "at the door".  One possibility for improvement is to rent an outdoor stage with an appropriate drop-down microphone system for an acappela group of 14, but that's at a charge of at least 20,000 baht.  Do the math on that.   It won't be a free concert.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, NancyL said:

It simply wasn't designed for an acapella group.  The sound situation wasn't really any better than it had been in previous years for the Yale group.

This is the sole responsibility of the CM International Rotary Club organizer/coordinator or the Rotary Club's  Event chairperson.  I've been a member of and president/committee member of service clubs and have organized or been part of organizing many events. The person who books the bands etc has to have at least a basic knowledge of such things. Blaming the sound system as a reason when it was a person, is a bit weak. 

Better luck next time. 

38 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Dave and CMI Rotary had a difference of opinion in whether this should be a free event.

If this Dave is running a business at the venue than it has to be a pay event. Surely no service club would sponsor an event at a business and not expect attendees to pay. 

At the River Market, quality is our passion. 

Obviously not when it comes to the sound system for this specific event. Again bad planning by the Rotary event chairperson.

Edited by VocalNeal

We were "expecting" the attendees to pay via a "pass the hat" donation during the intermission.  This worked well in the previous years when the turnout was much, much smaller.  This year was different in that both River Market and CMIRC heavily promoted the event on Facebook.  

Also in previous years, the sound system was OK when there were 100 fewer people in the restaurant.

Part of the problem is the nature of the expat community here.  They wait until the last minute to decide to do something.  Had we know the turnout was so large, we would have had time to consider the rental of the 20,000 baht outdoor stage and sound system.  I think that River Market used the word "free" a bit too much in their promotion.  The CMI Rotary promotion stressed how it was fundraising concert in support of our Children's Service Projects that that's the loser here.  Fortunately, while we lost money on having the Yale ladies in CM, it wasn't a major money loser.

Unless you live in a small community with no other  activities people only make decisions at very short notice. It is a FarceBook / smart phone thing. 

I belong to another group and if one schedules an event no one with preregister but they mostly all turn up on the day. 

Better luck/organization next time? But maybe a rethink of subsidizing an event at a business. I guarantee the River Market didn't lose any money! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Come on Neal, like Nancy said, nobody screwed up, it was the fault of  the nature of the expat community.  Funny, no?

I have mentioned a few "facts" of hers that were not correct.   Never going to get an admission of being

wrong from some people.   I won't mention any names.  

Only thing i get is a LIKE any time someone disses me    lol

"Part of the problem is the nature of the expat community here.  They wait until the last minute to decide to do something."

Something has to be done about this, we simply can't allow the expat community to continue behaving in this way, it's simply not acceptable!

FWIW I like the food at The River Market, it's very different from other restaurants that I frequent, good quality plus the setting is pleasant - anyone who thinks it's an expensive eatery must eat somtam or cow pad 24x7.