bayport22

Condo Committee Vote Procedure?? The Correct process??

Our Condo committee has end of year meeting, where new committee members are selected and "voted" upon.  Unfortunately,

only about 10 people attend these meetings.  Then at end of meeting the Committee President says "time to elect new committee

members for two years, anyone want to be on committee?"   No notice is written in meeting information, that there will be a vote for 

committee members, it just secretly gets announced.  Of course, all the pre-existing committee members are in attendance, they nominate

themselves and if no pre-existing committee member is in attendance, they welcome audience members to raise their hands (which I did

last meeting).  Then they say ok we have a committee.  They didn't even take a vote, they just took nominations and these people became 

committee members!   Reading condo regulations, it is not very clear, the process of electing committee members.  At my previous condo, they

made all the owners vote for nominated committee members.  But at my condo, they do not pre-announce a committee member vote to be held

at annual meeting.  And there is no vote.  Just nominate yourself.  Maybe if they have more than the 9 persons needed, they may take a vote.  But

who knows.   Does anyone know the official procedure for the nomination of committee members and must a vote from all owners take place?

Each applicant has to achieve a simple majority vote at a general meeting.

I attach a JPEG.

Last paragraph confirms.

The names of the successful applicants have to be registered at the land office within 30 days

CONDO COMMITTEES.jpg

8 hours ago, Delight said:

Each applicant has to achieve a simple majority vote at a general meeting.

I attach a JPEG.

Last paragraph confirms.

The names of the successful applicants have to be registered at the land office within 30 days

CONDO COMMITTEES.jpg

Surely the problem lies with finding a "competent official" 😂

Committee members can only be elected or removed via a co-owner vote, ie AGM or EGM. A committee member can you remove themselves via resignation. 

The agenda including the proposal for the  election of committee members  for a AGM  should be sent to all owners prior to the meeting and a copy placed in the building common area .Failure to do so may result in the meeting declared void by the land office and an order for the meeting and vote to be retaken .

5 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Surely the problem lies with finding a "competent official" 😂

How So?

The land office is 'Official' and is  'Competant' (one assumes)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jippytum said:

The agenda including the proposal for the  election of committee members  for a AGM  should be sent to all owners prior to the meeting and a copy placed in the building common area .Failure to do so may result in the meeting declared void by the land office and an order for the meeting and vote to be retaken .

What you state is mostly correct . However there is no requirement for copy of the agenda to be placed in the common area

I attach a JPEG detailing  the requirements for calling a meeting

42-3  COMMUNICATION REF MEETING.jpg

Edited by Delight

Prior to the July 2008 Condo Act changes it was a 30 day meeting notice vs the now 7 days. We find 7 days for the mostly non local owners to be ridiculously to short to allow owners to review the resolution, ask questions and submit their original voting form with signed passport copy by the meeting time. We are suggesting to change our bylaws back to the thirty days so all owners can rightfully have time to consider the resolutions and vote on how Their money will be used. 

11 hours ago, inThailand said:

Prior to the July 2008 Condo Act changes it was a 30 day meeting notice vs the now 7 days. We find 7 days for the mostly non local owners to be ridiculously to short to allow owners to review the resolution, ask questions and submit their original voting form with signed passport copy by the meeting time. We are suggesting to change our bylaws back to the thirty days so all owners can rightfully have time to consider the resolutions and vote on how Their money will be used. 

You are suggesting that your by -laws can be changed . if you do so ,as per your stated aims-it will be at odds with the condo.act. My view is that that change will be illegal. Also you would need  a 50 % vote to authorise any change.

The solution is to email the agenda say 30 days in advance to each co -owner. A copy of the  proxy form would be attached.

In practice the official  hard copy of the agenda is simply posted to the co -owners  mail boxes . This being done 7 days in advance of the meeting.

The post office will supply official proof of each posting.That proof being submitted to LO with all the other submissions-post the meeting

I'm a condo owner never been in a meeting, I wonder meeting for what? and does it have anything to do for condo owners attention.

2 hours ago, Different said:

I'm a condo owner never been in a meeting, I wonder meeting for what? and does it have anything to do for condo owners attention.

One motive to attend a general meeting is to see how you can contribute with  development and well being of the condo.

However it is true that most co -owners are apathetic. Just like you

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Delight said:

You are suggesting that your by -laws can be changed . if you do so ,as per your stated aims-it will be at odds with the condo.act. My view is that that change will be illegal. Also you would need  a 50 % vote to authorise any change.

The solution is to email the agenda say 30 days in advance to each co -owner. A copy of the  proxy form would be attached.

In practice the official  hard copy of the agenda is simply posted to the co -owners  mail boxes . This being done 7 days in advance of the meeting.

The post office will supply official proof of each posting.That proof being submitted to LO with all the other submissions-post the meeting

What is purpose of the 7 day notice?To give all owners advance notice to attend or proxy their vote. Extending the notice time frame to say 30 days does not violate that right. Our attorney agrees and the change will be accepted by the Land Office. 

10 hours ago, inThailand said:

What is purpose of the 7 day notice?To give all owners advance notice to attend or proxy their vote. Extending the notice time frame to say 30 days does not violate that right. Our attorney agrees and the change will be accepted by the Land Office. 

. The condo act says at 'least 7 days  notice must be given ' with respect to a general  meeting. If you give 30 days that must be ok. There is no need to change the by laws.

2 minutes ago, Delight said:

. The condo act says at 'least 7 days  notice must be given ' with respect to a general  meeting. If you give 30 days that must be ok. There is no need to change the by laws.

In our case it is, for our condo management typically will not give owners advance notice of more than 7 days, they like it when no one has much time to review the resolutions, financial reports, or ask questions, etc. For they are snow balling owners into believing that all is ok, when in fact there is gross mismanagement.