daocat555

High End Mobile Recomendations

I think there is a nice Topic going on Mid-range Smartphones, so here is a thread for those interested in a High End phone.  The three largest mobile producers in the world are Apple, Samsung, and Huawei.  I will ignore Apple in my first post and submit a Samsung and a Huawei phone to consider.

The Samsung Galaxy S 9 announced in February, 2018, I think, is nice in many ways.  It has a small and light form (147.7 x 68.7 x 8.5 mm, 163 grams), stereo speakers, a 5.8 inch Super AMOLED screen, wireless charging available, and with a list price of 28,000 Baht it can be had at Lazada for 24,200 Baht.

The Huawei Honor 10 is available at Lazada for 13,695 Baht.  I offer this Huawei as the P20 ( 19,990 Baht) has a maximum voice volume of 66 dB as measured by gsmarena review, which I think is not loud enough for a noisy environment or for someone who is hard of hearing.  The Huawei Honor 10 has a 69 dB maximum voice volume, (the dB scale is a exponential scale, so 69 dB is quite a bit louder than 66 dB).  The Honor 10 has a better camera than the Samsung, a bigger battery, weighs 10 grams less than the Samsung, and has a somewhat larger form.  The main shortcoming I see for the Honor 10 is that the 5.84 inch screen is IPS LCD.  Thinking of other phones I might list to consider at the high end I would say that the Honor 10 is the only phone which makes the list without having an AMOLED screen.  At 13,695 baht it also about the least expensive of my high end phone recommendations.  So it's on the Low end of the high end list. 

I would like to invite others to submit their High End phone recommendations here.

The 'flagship' category is all over the map, and changing daily. There are tons of videos on youtube listing/reviewing them.

The S9+ seems no. 1 today based on a cursory review. P20 Pro is up there, iPhone X obviously, Pixel 2XL, Nokia 8 Scirocco, OnePlus 6, LG G7 Thinq, Note 8.

A friend got an s9+ last week, it's a sick phone.

I'm more of a mid-range guy, Nokia 7 Plus for me. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Darkside Gray said:

"s9+ Its a sick phone" ?

Sorry, shouldn't use slang here. "Sick" means wicked good, exceptional, amazing, awesome.

I'm currently using a Pixel 2XL. Decent phone, great camera but I still miss my Note 7.

I've just bought a OnePlus 6, managed to get it in the Silk White, awesome. I had to go to BKK to get it, cost 20,900. I wanted something different to the standard Samsungs and this is easily a match for the S9+ for much less. I also like the Huaweis though and would have gone for a P20 Pro but it's too much at the moment. I won't even consider an Apple at 40,000 ha ha.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, malathione said:

I'm currently using a Pixel 2XL. Decent phone, great camera but I still miss my Note 7.

I just bought a Samsung galaxy Fan Edition(FE) which is the remake of the very popular Note 7. This is an awesome phone. With a 5.5" super amoled screen, and 16:9 aspect ratio, it's a perfect fit in the hand. Even by today's standards, this phone is feature rich with wireless charging, IP68 water resistant and Lazada is currently selling it for 13,490 baht. This was Samsung's flagship phone and cost nearly $900 when first released in 2016. This phone is an absolute steal at this price!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, davhend25 said:

I just bought a Samsung galaxy Fan Edition(FE) which is the remake of the very popular Note 7. This is an awesome phone. With a 5.5" super amoled screen, and 16:9 aspect ratio, it's a perfect fit in the hand. Even by today's standards, this phone is feature rich with wireless charging, IP68 water resistant and Lazada is currently selling it for 13,490 baht. This was Samsung's flagship phone and cost nearly $900 when first released in 2016. This phone is an absolute steal at this price!  

I'm very tempted to get one myself. My only concern is the reduced battery capacity; I travel extensively in areas where I often don't get the chance to charge my devices from before dawn until well after dusk and carrying power banks mean one more thing to charge at night.

Edited by malathione
grammar

2 minutes ago, malathione said:

I'm very tempted to get one myself. My only concern was the reduced battery capacity; I travel extensively in areas where I often don't get the chance to charge my devices from before dawn until well after dusk and carrying power banks mean one more thing to charge at night.

The battery was only reduced from 3500 mah to 3200 mah. I'm not a heavy user, but I am getting nearly two days on a full charge. The battery doesn't seem prone to fast draining, but again, your mileage could be a lot different. I particularly wanted the IP68 rating because of all the rain here in Thailand. It's amazing how many high end phones still don't have that feature. And a lot still don't have "wireless charging" a feature that I have fallen in love with. I also prefer the 16:9 aspect ratio, as many of the newer phones have gone to the 18:9 which seems too tall and skinny for me. I also like that you can write notes on the screen without turning the phone on. Just pull out the stylus and start writing. Very handy feature!  I know the "FE" is a 2017 phone model based on a 2016 model (note 7), but its features can match up with many of newer flagships. The price now on Lazada is unbelievable!  

1 minute ago, davhend25 said:

The battery was only reduced from 3500 mah to 3200 mah. I'm not a heavy user, but I am getting nearly two days on a full charge. The battery doesn't seem prone to fast draining, but again, your mileage could be a lot different. I particularly wanted the IP68 rating because of all the rain here in Thailand. It's amazing how many high end phones still don't have that feature. And a lot still don't have "wireless charging" a feature that I have fallen in love with. I also prefer the 16:9 aspect ratio, as many of the newer phones have gone to the 18:9 which seems too tall and skinny for me. I also like that you can write notes on the screen without turning the phone on. Just pull out the stylus and start writing. Very handy feature!  I know the "FE" is a 2017 phone model based on a 2016 model (note 7), but its features can match up with many of newer flagships. The price now on Lazada is unbelievable!  

Agreed, it is an excellent phone with an excellent design and the stylus is wonderful. 

• Like 1

Oneplus 5T is dropping in price fast because the 6 is now available 

13-14k 

Still a damn good phone with dash charge (0-60% in 30min)

Snapdragon 835 and 6 or 8GB RAM

I paid about 16k in January for mine and 

It's the best phone I've owned so far

Better than any Samsung, HTC, LG and a lot cheaper

Only cause of concern is they don't have a service centre in thailand yet so I don't think you can get it fixed if it breaks, probably need to throw it away and get a new one

• Like 1

Huawei battery life is outstanding, and their fast charging means very little time required to return to 100%. My current P10 Plus will certainly be my preferred phone for a couple of years until there are major new features.

• Like 1

A laptop can do 10x more at half the price but is a tad difficult to put to your ear . 33,000 bt for a S9 plus is blatant profiteering. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

A laptop can do 10x more at half the price but is a tad difficult to put to your ear . 33,000 bt for a S9 plus is blatant profiteering. 

But 40k for the iPhone 10 is reasonable?