sudha

Registering Foreign Marriage at Local Amphoe

@Ubonjoe, experienced ThaiVisa forum experts,

My wife just made a call to her local SaphanSung Amphoe to inquire about the procedure to obtain a kor ror 22  (Family status registration). They said that we will need to go to the US embassy in Thailand to get a document from them, she called it "Kamtalaeng". We must then get that document translated to Thai and certified by the consular affairs. 

Any idea what this "Kamtalaeng" is? Is it the self-sworn "Family Affidavit" as per this link: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/authentication-vital-records/

I am in the process of getting our US marriage document certified by the US Secretary of State, US Department of State and the final legalization step from the Thai embassy in Washington DC. Is this not sufficient?

Any inputs are much appreciated!

For background: I am an Asian national married to my Thai wife while we were living in the US. I am now planning to relocate to Thailand to be with my wife.

Many thanks

14 minutes ago, sudha said:

I am in the process of getting our US marriage document certified by the US Secretary of State, US Department of State and the final legalization step from the Thai embassy in Washington DC. Is this not sufficient?

That is more than enough but it will have to translated to Thai.

The family affidavit (aka statement or Khảt̄hælng/คำแถลง)  will also be accepted by a Amphoe if translated. The affidavit is what most people do since the formal way you are doing it is so complicated. If you are not a US citizen I am not sure they would do the affidavit for you. Best to check with them about if that is the case.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is more than enough but it will have to translated to Thai.

The family affidavit will also accepted by a Amphoe if translated. The affidavit is what most people do since the formal way you are doing it is so complicated.

Great, many thanks ubonjoe!  I have decided to use the agency to get the processing done. It will probably be a month before I get it back with all the stamps but I believe I will have this document before I leave to Thailand. 

I will then take it to the MFA, get it translated and certified by them.

Then proceed to Amphoe with that to get the kok ror 22.  ?

3 hours ago, sudha said:

Great, many thanks ubonjoe!  I have decided to use the agency to get the processing done. It will probably be a month before I get it back with all the stamps but I believe I will have this document before I leave to Thailand. 

I will then take it to the MFA, get it translated and certified by them.

Then proceed to Amphoe with that to get the kok ror 22.  ?

That is the correct procedure, although you will have to register the marriage before they issue the Kor Ror 22.

They should be able to do both same day.