likerdup1

REPORT: Do it Yourself Retirement Visa (Pattaya) Chonburi Immigration

4 minutes ago, tropo said:

Why would an official Embassy statutory declaration document need to be authenticated?

It is not required at the majority of immigration offices for an extension application and in Chonburi only for a non immigrant visa application. The few that want it for an extension are all near Bangkok.

It is actually a verification of the consular officers signature on the document not the document itself.

• Like 1

Last week I arrived on a 30 day, with plans on getting my retirement visa. I have done it once before, so I had some clue as to what to expect.

I first went to the side office and gave them the chore of filling out my paperwork. I prefer knowing that everything is in order before going in to office #7. I remember years ago, that tips were optional at the side office. Then 2 years ago i was asked to pay 200 to have them do my paperwork. Now this time I was charged 600. Low season surcharge maybe. The same guy from Nepal, there in charge. It seems that he offers everyone a second option of quick approval with his help. I was quoted 21000 to speed along my application. Even though I qualify already. I saw him ask another guy for 38000, to help him get a visa for his farang wife.

I found out I needed more documents. Had to return next day with them. Even then, they werent happy with my landlords ID card, and I had to fix that. 

I have heard some guys here say that its silly to bring along a thai gf to help at immigration, but I have found it to be of great help. It seems clear that the staff prefers when a thai gf is there to help them with any problems.

Entering office#7, I was a bit wary, hearing the stories of how she is trying to grab extra cash to assure visa guarantee. However. it turned out excellent. Im pretty sure she remembered me from the past. She was all smiles and we had a nice chat. She was curious as to why I let my last retirement visa expire. I told her that I had to return home to do chemo for cancer. She told me about some natural remedy that a family member of hers had taken. She insisted that I come in the next day, so she could give me some of it to take myself. I did return, and she did remember to bring it. 

My paperwork was fine, as expected. I paid the 2000 and asked to come back on last day of my 30 days. Same as the OP. They gave passport back to me. So it gets stamped in jomtien upon return? I thought it remained with them. But maybe im thinking of when I go back for the OA.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, thebestman36 said:

Last week I arrived on a 30 day, with plans on getting my retirement visa. I have done it once before, so I had some clue as to what to expect.

I first went to the side office and gave them the chore of filling out my paperwork. I prefer knowing that everything is in order before going in to office #7. I remember years ago, that tips were optional at the side office. Then 2 years ago i was asked to pay 200 to have them do my paperwork. Now this time I was charged 600. Low season surcharge maybe. The same guy from Nepal, there in charge. It seems that he offers everyone a second option of quick approval with his help. I was quoted 21000 to speed along my application. Even though I qualify already. I saw him ask another guy for 38000, to help him get a visa for his farang wife.

I found out I needed more documents. Had to return next day with them. Even then, they werent happy with my landlords ID card, and I had to fix that. 

I have heard some guys here say that its silly to bring along a thai gf to help at immigration, but I have found it to be of great help. It seems clear that the staff prefers when a thai gf is there to help them with any problems.

Entering office#7, I was a bit wary, hearing the stories of how she is trying to grab extra cash to assure visa guarantee. However. it turned out excellent. Im pretty sure she remembered me from the past. She was all smiles and we had a nice chat. She was curious as to why I let my last retirement visa expire. I told her that I had to return home to do chemo for cancer. She told me about some natural remedy that a family member of hers had taken. She insisted that I come in the next day, so she could give me some of it to take myself. I did return, and she did remember to bring it. 

My paperwork was fine, as expected. I paid the 2000 and asked to come back on last day of my 30 days. Same as the OP. They gave passport back to me. So it gets stamped in jomtien upon return? I thought it remained with them. But maybe im thinking of when I go back for the OA.

Glad everything went thru for you.

600 b yes that seems way too high. 😞

Next time just try to do the paperwork yourself.  Just take your time filling it out you will be fine I bet.

43 minutes ago, thebestman36 said:

They do not keep your passport when you do the visa application.

When you do your extension of stay based upon retirement (it is not a OA visa) application they may keep your passport overnight.

1 hour ago, thebestman36 said:

There are potential pros and cons. 

On the "con" side: A Thai lady will likely not contest anything "officials" say - always deferring to anyone in uniform; you will have no idea what they are talking about (unless you understand Thai well), and must then rely on a translation to your language of the events that transpired; if the staff are rude to her, it will not be a happy experience, and you will want to throttle the staff (which won't help).

On the "pro" side - if you are at an office that serves her home-province, maybe she and the staff have a common-background, and will become friendly.  In that case, staff may be more helpful than normal.

Also - a list of all documents required, in your case, would help any future applicants at that office (assuming there is some consistency at play).  Also whether you used money "in the bank" (seasoned 60-days?) or an embassy income-letter, or a combination.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

There are potential pros and cons. 

On the "con" side: A Thai lady will likely not contest anything "officials" say - always deferring to anyone in uniform; you will have no idea what they are talking about (unless you understand Thai well), and must then rely on a translation to your language of the events that transpired; if the staff are rude to her, it will not be a happy experience, and you will want to throttle the staff (which won't help).

On the "pro" side - if you are at an office that serves her home-province, maybe she and the staff have a common-background, and will become friendly.  In that case, staff may be more helpful than normal.

I agree I would not take one here.

I bet there first thought is why do you need that buffer.

But, a place like Issan no problem.

On 6/20/2018 at 4:58 PM, tropo said:

I've never thought about doing this. Why would an official Embassy statutory declaration document need to be authenticated? What's the benefit of the USA Embassy's outreach program if you have to go to DFA anyway?

Edit: Noted Ubonjoe's explanation above. It's necessary for conversion purposes only.

My understanding is that the outreach program has been recently limited to once a year making the program even less useful to expats who have extension renewal dates farther out than 6 months from the now annual outreach service. Currently Thai Immigration only excepts income docs less than 6 months old. So for roughly half of us going to BKK will be necessary to obtain the notary services now. "Times they are a changing".

Edited by likerdup1

14 minutes ago, likerdup1 said:

My understanding is that the outreach program has been recently limited to once a year making the program even less useful to expats who have extension renewal dates farther out than 6 months from the now annual outreach service.

That is only for Pattaya. There is total of 3 for the other locations this year that are much further from Bangkok than Pattaya is.

And for those traveling they often have afternoon appointments at 1300-1400 on Thursdays available now making it quite easy to do in one day.

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is only for Pattaya. There is total of 3 for the other locations this year that are much further from Bangkok than Pattaya is.

OK Pattaya only. The trip to Bangkok is not that big a deal from Pattaya to the US Embassy. Pattaya to Chang Wattana is not pleaant. Bus two hours plus a taxi ride 20-25 minutes. A couple of the taxi drivers I had were a bit tough to deal with. Using Google maps helps. My last taxi from Chang Wattana to Mochit Bus station was a bit of a scammer. Tried to get me to agree to go on the tollway. Google maps said otherwise. 70 Baht extra and would have been actually longer in time and distance.

7 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

My last taxi from Chang Wattana to Mochit Bus station was a bit of a scammer. Tried to get me to agree to go on the tollway. Google maps said otherwise. 70 Baht extra and would have been actually longer in time and distance.

lucky you!