Pilotman

Getting My First Driving Licence (s) Experience in Pattya Todaya

Thanks for sharing that.        Please tell us  what you paid for the residence certificates.   Were you just doing overkill with the photo copies of them or were two copies needed for each license?

Good idea to have extra copy of residence certificate but isn't there a short shelf life for them?

What technique was used to "educate the chap who tried to jump the line, twice,".' 

13 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Thanks for sharing that.        Please tell us  what you paid for the residence certificates.   Were you just doing overkill with the photo copies of them or were two copies needed for each license?

Good idea to have extra copy of residence certificate but isn't there a short shelf life for them?

What technique was used to "educate the chap who tried to jump the line, twice,".' 

I should remember the prices , but I don't, so here are the estimates, that are not far wrong.  Each cert was, I think, 200 Bhat. I thought i needed two, but I read  on a forum that one and a photo copy was enough, so  I did that and kept on of the originals. It was one photo copy of everything for each licence.  

You may be right on shelf life, but my next 'adventure'  is to try to get a Green Book, so I will try that next week and for that I need a  Res Cert.

He first tried to push in front of me.  I said to him, as politely as I could muster at that point,  that I was not invisible and I gently 'steered him ' back. He then tried to push in  front of the Thai  chap behind me, at which point I was slightly less gentle in pointing out to him that there was a line, and he was at the back of it.  He  then moved back.  Interestingly, I followed him out of the car park and he drove at around 15 mph for ages. Maybe he was emotionally impacted by the video, or drunk,  or just a bit slow.     

19 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I should remember the prices , but I don't, so here are the estimates, that are not far wrong.  Each cert was, I think, 200 Bhat. I thought i needed two, but I read  on a forum that one and a photo copy was enough, so  I did that and kept on of the originals. It was one photo copy of everything for each licence.  

The Banglamung (Pattaya) Land Transport Office will accept one original and one photocopy when applying for both auto and MC license -- But, Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration will insist you get two originals if you tell them it is for both license.

• Like 1

What if you already have thai bike and car licences but need to renew them? Still need to do any kind of tests or anything? 

I keep reading that no-one bothers to watch the video. Perhaps they should refuse to issue a licence to anyone who hasn't bothered. Have an official there, like a teacher in a school exam. If they don't pay attention then send them home or make them start again in the next group.

Posted (edited)
On 6/14/2018 at 5:00 PM, watcharacters said:

Can't imagine why the cost of the residence certificate would be of interest to most people?...Around 200 or 300 Bt. is unlightly to break the bank. 

Edited by dotpoom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, sikishrory said:

What if you already have thai bike and car licences but need to renew them? Still need to do any kind of tests or anything? 

The video room was full of people re newing their licences, so I guess yes is the answer. 

4 hours ago, soisanuk said:

Yes - the reaction test and color test are usually always given - sometimes, they also do a test of peripheral vision and depth perception.

There was no reaction test, maybe because I already have a full UK licence.  Come to think of it, I didn't see anyone take the reaction test.  

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I keep reading that no-one bothers to watch the video. Perhaps they should refuse to issue a licence to anyone who hasn't bothered. Have an official there, like a teacher in a school exam. If they don't pay attention then send them home or make them start again in the next group.

The 'teacher' was in the room throughout the video play, he was on his phone the whole time!  Go figure 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:
5 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

I renewed my 5 Year Thai License quite recently for the second time and I had to do everything the OP mentioned. 

How many years they give ya? I read a long time ago it was reduced from 5 to 3 or something 

3 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

Still 5, nearly 6 if you go just after a birthday.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

Mine was renewed again for 5 more years. 

I seem to recall also they made some changes like you said, which effected my wife as a new driver. I think her first license was changed from 5 years to 3 years, or maybe it was only 2 years. But after the first time it remains 5 years. So this law did not effect me as it was my second renewal.