BANGKOK 17 November 2018 13:24
snoop1130

Video: Old motorcyclist survives - but car driver is not so lucky

Video: Old motorcyclist survives - but car driver is not so lucky

CiHZjUdJ5HPNXJ92GTMAdoEo9ga8cgEyDb.jpg

Dash cam footage from Phitsanuloke on Thursday morning showed the moment a motorcycle ridden by a 68 year old woman cut in front of a Toyota Corolla driven by a 24 year old man. 

The motorcyclist Saiyut Khanthong survived with some cuts and bruises. But the car driver Apichart Suwanthep left the road, went into a ditch then collided with the base of a power pole.

He was dead at the scene from head trauma and had suffered multiple fractures. 

Thai Rath said that the entire area of the front driving compartment was crushed into the back seat.

Saiyuth's husband Buarian, 66, said his wife had left for her work as a maid at the new bus station just a few moments earlier. Then he heard two loud bangs and rushed to the scene. 

Police are investigating.

The dash cam footage from a following car That was shown on Thai TV will give them a fair idea of who was to blame. 

Source: https://www.thairath.co.th/content/1307589

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-6-14

Its  always good to see these daily death updates, a new theme for tv?

• Like 2

It's difficult to really see whether the old lady just didn't look, gave a quick glance in her mirror of fully turned her head to check the road behind her. On a road where people potential drive very fast, moving across two lanes at a relatively low speed is a particularly dangerous manoeuvre because cars traveling at high speed will come out of nowhere. Certainly just checking ones mirrors will never give you the full picture. Perhaps in circumstances such as this, new learner motorcyclists (the older ones are too arrogant and think they know it all) should be taught to stop on the hard shoulder opposite the U-turn then turn perpendicular to the road so that they are able to physically look in direction of the oncoming traffic thus avoiding the need to use their mirrors. Also you can then ride across the two lanes via the shortest possible and therefore quickest route.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

. On a road where people potential drive very fast, moving across two lanes at a relatively low speed is a particularly dangerous manoeuvre because cars traveling at high speed will come out of nowhere.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

In a country where there is very strong possibility that someone in front of you will act like a t***, it is a very bad idea to drive as if the road in font of you is (and will be forever) clear and nobody in front of you........will act like a t***.

Perhaps the deceased driver momentarily forgot that.......or perhaps it had never really "registered" with them in the first place.......and it was just a matter of time?

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dexlowe said:

Too many generations with little to do but watch the paddy growing. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's the only explanation I can come up with for this kind of incident. Like others, I've seen this kind of "blind faith in Buddha" driving far too many times, and most incidents seem to involve someone who by appearance may be from a rural village. (Not stigmatizing, just trying to find reasons for this behaviour.) In small, out-of-the-way places, there are fewer vehicles and slower traffic.

(Attack me, if you will, but I hope some will try to identify the reasons for this kind of blind faith.)

Both parties were in "blind faith" mode.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, kannot said:

Its  always good to see these daily death updates, a new theme for tv?

Our youth is so desensitized to death and destruction they are hardly phased these days by such daily scenes.  I on the other hand 'feel' it.

• Like 2