Gandtee

Milk sell by dates.

I'm concerned about the expiry dates of the milk my small nephew is drinking. It's Foremost Omega 3.6. The Best Before date is 09119 05 TP12. Underneath it has 09017 16 102YCTT.  Can anyone tell me what this means?  

I would read that as best before 9th Jan 2019(09119),  the numbers underneath are more than likely when it was packaged , rest may be batch numbers or similar

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, swissie said:

PS: Expiration dates on milk are only meaningfull if the "refrigeration-chain" was never broken.

Milk in brick isn't refrigerated.

• Like 2

I interpret the dates as :-

09119 - 9th November 2019 (best before date)

09017 - 9th Jan 2017 (packaging date?)

DD MM Y no tens of years number

it could equally be

MM DD Y

or something totally different.

However, that gives a shelf life of nigh on 3 years. I know UHT lasts a very long time if the seals aren't broken, but is 3 years reasonable?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Crossy said:

I interpret the dates as :-

09119 - 9th November 2019 (best before date)

09017 - 9th Jan 2017 (packaging date?)

DD MM Y no tens of years number

it could equally be

MM DD Y

or something totally different.

However, that gives a shelf life of nigh on 3 years. I know UHT lasts a very long time if the seals aren't broken, but is 3 years reasonable?

The Best Before date is 09119 05 TP12., this one is missing a 0 , should be 09-01-19 , maybe type error from poster ?

05 TP12. and underneath 09017 16 102YCTT. , these are  the numbers of the produce and packing line , so it any problems the factory can recall the batches.

Edited by terminatorchiangmai

4 minutes ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

Yes 3 years is normal for UHT , and you can easily add an extra year if you keep it cool and dark.

Another TV armchair expert 😄

https://qz.com/740959/science-has-found-a-way-to-extend-the-shelf-life-of-cold-milk-300/

Ultra-high temperature (UHT) milk. Heated to at least 135ºC (275°F) for two to four seconds and stored in special packaging, UHT milk can last six months at ambient temperatures if unopened. Once opened, it should be refrigerated and treated like fresh milk.

Posted (edited)

Unlike milk in the USA, Thai milk uses the 280 degrees Farenheit pasteurization process. This process allows for mixing of milks from different farms and for a much longer shelf life of months as in the Wikipedia article.

I am from Albany, NY, USA and I will be lucky to keep milk for a week.

I think the milk in the USA is allowed the lower temperature process by bribes due to the cost of the better process, and keeping milk for longer times is a definite profits killer. Business in the USA is about profits to the shareholders, not for the buying public. If it smells good and tastes good, drink. A costless way to make milk last a little bit longer is to shake for 30 seconds daily. Milk spoils by settling.

Edited by themerg

An unrelated topic.

If you as a food manufacturer put 100% juice into a drink  product, which is only 1% of that product, you are allowed by USA laws to print 100% juice on the label.

I don't know how many people have bought juice as stated and found it was orange flavored fruit drink. I have been fooled many times by this bad law which I will state is for the producers' profits through bribery of government officials and politicians.

In Thailand, you know the politicians are stealing. In the USA, the politicians deny it.

Do you know politicians in the USA bring up the topic of Campaign reform every election year, and have never passed a law against themselves in my 64 years of being alive. 

I am very happy to be living in Thailand for the rest of my life.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, themerg said:

Unlike milk in the USA, Thai milk uses the 280 degrees Farenheit pasteurization process. This process allows for mixing of milks from different farms and for a much longer shelf life of months as in the Wikipedia article.

I am from Albany, NY, USA and I will be lucky to keep milk for a week.

I think the milk in the USA is allowed the lower temperature process by bribes due to the cost of the better process, and keeping milk for longer times is a definite profits killer. Business in the USA is about profits to the shareholders, not for the buying public. If it smells good and tastes good, drink. A costless way to make milk last a little bit longer is to shake for 30 seconds daily. Milk spoils by settling.

He was referring to Omega which is UHT, not Pasteurised milk. Thai UHT milk uses 135C (your 280Deg F). we have both UHT and Pasteurised milk manufactured to international standards. UHT milk is no good for making cappuccino.