Planned Temporary Forum Outage Friday 18th January from 21:00 Read more... ×
BANGKOK 17 January 2019 17:59

9 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Cost Serbia dear that non decision really doncha think mrboj?

It might have cost Serbia dear (and my mate Paddy ? ) but t'was a great decision for me and my balance bud. 3 correct results yesterday

However, that aside. Yeah, you're right and there needs to be some consistency here. That was as clear a penalty as Harry Kane's was and yet no review. I honestly don't know what instructions these VAR guys are under and it needs to be publicised 

41 minutes ago, champers said:

There will be no suggestions of match fixing from the head of FIFA. Now, where is he from again? And where is FIFA's HQ?

Could you imagine if Italy had been in it and drawn against Swiss. The guys head would have been spinning. Is he more Italian than Swiss or more Swiss than Italian?

4 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Could you imagine if Italy had been in it and drawn against Swiss. The guys head would have been spinning. Is he more Italian than Swiss or more Swiss than Italian?

He is actually from the German speaking part of Switzerland in the Rhone valley, next town along from where his predecessor Blatter was from. Who'd have thought it?

Had a mate who lived round there and stayed with him on holiday once. We took a train down the valley to see local team Sion (in the French part). Hup Hup Hup Sion!

19 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

It might have cost Serbia dear (and my mate Paddy ? ) but t'was a great decision for me and my balance bud. 3 correct results yesterday

However, that aside. Yeah, you're right and there needs to be some consistency here. That was as clear a penalty as Harry Kane's was and yet no review. I honestly don't know what instructions these VAR guys are under and it needs to be publicised 

This decision cost Serbia a goal and possibly two sendings off...

What about retrospective punishment for cheating?

Does that even exist in this tournament?

Pretty clear that VAR is, for the most part, going to ignore fouls during scrums in the area on set pieces. Not really a surprise. If they tried to adjudicate all of those scrum messes they would be opening Pandora's Box, or a can of worms.

Maybe if a defender grabs a shirt and twirls you around over his head.....:thumbsup:

40 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Pretty clear that VAR is, for the most part, going to ignore fouls during scrums in the area on set pieces. Not really a surprise. If they tried to adjudicate all of those scrum messes they would be opening Pandora's Box, or a can of worms.

Maybe if a defender grabs a shirt and twirls you around over his head.....:thumbsup:

No Jellybean nothing is clear at all....that's the problem with VAR!

Sitting on today's VAR panel we have Hansie Cronje, Glitterman, Noel Gallagher and our special guest Piers Morgan.

You see the problem yet?

How about Mr Magoo as reserve?

You touched on the potential for corruption and with four nameless people sitting behind the scenes making vital decisions on games it opens football up to all kinds of shenanigans.

7 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

You touched on the potential for corruption and with four nameless people sitting behind the scenes making vital decisions on games it opens football up to all kinds of shenanigans.

Inconsistency (The main criticism VAR was supposed to address) makes a mockery of the whole procedure. To give a soft penalty, but a penalty none the less, is fine, but then to ignore greater infringements in other games and not even have the ref look at them suggests something is wrong.

I'm a fan of VAR. One area where it could be used to enhance soccer, is to clean up the farcial stage acting for fouls. A couple of yellow cards here and there, and players would soon get the message.

A few nights ago in a match an attacking move was thwarted in the box. As all players started running 50m back up the pitch to get into position, a defender gave an opposition guy a pat on the shoulder as he ran past ... probably with a comment like "stiff shit on that move old chum"

The guy whose shoulder had just been patted immediately went down like a bag of wet cement, as though Mike Tyson had king hit him from behind.

Was a pitiful sight. To see a full grown man fall over from the wind of another player rushing past him.

The ref saw it, gave no foul, and I'm pretty certain he said "get up you fairy", although in another language it could have been something entirely different.

VAR could really help to clean this nonsense up.

Edited by electric
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, electric said:

I'm a fan of VAR. One area where it could be used to enhance soccer, is to clean up the farcial stage acting for fouls. A couple of yellow cards here and there, and players would soon get the message.

A few nights ago in a match an attacking move was thwarted in the box. As all players started running 50m back up the pitch to get into position, a defender gave an opposition guy a pat on the shoulder as he ran past ... probably with a comment like "stiff shit on that move old chum"

The defender immediately went down like a bag of wet cement, as though Mike Tyson had king hit him from behind.

Was a pitiful sight. To see a full grown man fall over from the wind of another player rushing past him.

The ref saw it, gave no foul, and I'm pretty certain he said "get up you fairy", although in another language it could have been something entirely different.

VAR could really help to clean this nonsense up.

I saw that and a red card for blatant diving would send a strong message to 

• Like 1

Sweden's Berg blatantly pushed over by Boateng of Germany. Clear penalty. "No" says the ref and no VAR. If you have it use it.

• Like 1

I don't understand, saw the Berg incident and my first reaction was no penalty but in the replay it was a foul,  surely somebody is on the refs ear piece saying 'Best have a look at the VAR on this one'