webfact

A $6 Billion Railway Helps Builders Become Thailand's Top Stocks

A $6 Billion Railway Helps Builders Become Thailand's Top Stocks

By Anuchit Nguyen and Lee J Miller

>> Construction firms have rebounded from worst quarter on record

>> Thailand to release detailed plans for rail project on Monday

A revival in optimism about Thai infrastructure projects has helped shares of the nation’s contractors rebound from a record slide.

A measure of construction and engineering companies has surged about 7 percent so far this quarter, making it the biggest gainer among the Stock Exchange of Thailand’s 28 industry sub-gauges. That marks a turnaround from the group’s worst ever slide of 18 percent in the previous quarter. The shares are a rare bright spot in Thai equities, with the benchmark SET Index down 4 percent since March.

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-Ocha, who seized power in a 2014 military coup, is trying to speed up infrastructure projects ahead of a general election expected in February. The government on Monday will unveil terms of reference for a 200 billion baht ($6 billion) high-speed train project linking three international airports closest to Bangkok.

Full story: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-17/a-6-billion-railway-helps-builders-become-thailand-s-top-stocks

-- Bloomberg 2018-06-18

1 minute ago, Darcula said:

Italian-Thai Development Pcl is set to snap 2-1/2 years of quarterly losses

The panther penis soup remedy worked.

Ah, so that's the food it's referring to.

• Haha 2

they are already clearing the path for the new tracks in Hua Hin.

• Like 2

Cynics might want to know how shares in bubble bath manufacturers are performing...

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Duplicate post - "new technology baffles pissed old hack" - Private Eye passim.

Edited by JAG
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, JAG said:

Cynics might want to know how shares in bubble bath manufacturers are performing...

I bet they're rising - to peak at some point.I predict a happy ending to this.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Shurely shome mishtake?

Careful now, we're both showing our age - and tastes in journalism...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cadbury said:

Yes you are correct, it did start then. The PM had a slap up party for all his elite friends to celebrate the turning of the first sod. Much cheering and applause and mutual backslapping. I expect he had a gold plated spade made especially for the occasion. 

No one should be in the least surprised that since the turning of that first shovel full of dirt nothing has happened. The Prayut government's speciality is underachieving. 

I'm saying nothing.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, JAG said:

Patience, patience. These things take time. The right people have to acquire the land, in order for the authorities to then purchase it for an appropriate price. Contracts have to be negotiated, and finding the most appropriate and generously inclined people to begin negotiations with is vital to the success and smooth conduct of the negotiations - all this takes time. Only when these less formal, undocumented (and therefore often misunderstood) processes are completed satisfactorily can progress be made.

Bangkok wasn't built in a day you know...

I just don't know where you get your cynicism from. Oh I do - the same as me - PEye.

True, Bangkok wasn't built in a day - but only because you-know-who wasn't on that job.

Edited by bluesofa
grammar