BANGKOK 13 November 2018 08:16
joninisaan

Punishment for students

I would like to know what sort of punishments other teachers here in Thailand hand out to students who break rules in their class. I'm referring to after a student or students

have been warned and repeatedly broke a certain rule. I just want some ideas on what kind of punishment we can give students here in Thailand, preferably mathayom level students as I teach in a Mathayom school. 

Thanks in advance

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, akirasan said:

I got told I'm allowed to hit the students but I'd rather not

Are you serious..in this day and age ...and a foreigner on top of that?

4 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

I know, right? Talk about about asking for trouble. I've had teachers who were visiting class put a stick in my hand before, but I always put it back on the desk and keep doing what I was doing.

Of course you get those days where the kids are just impossible to control or one student wants to make class hell for everybody else. Those days I'll shift the lesson outside or play some game to start with that gets them running around. The real troublemakers tend to act up when they're either bored or they've got had a problem at home so it helps to take their mind off whatever is bothering them, burn off some energy and makes the class more fun for everybody.

24 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Years ago when I taught at a high school in Korea I was told to get a stick. I declined. All the Korean teachers carried a big wooden dowel. The sticks are euphemistically referred to as the rod of love.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Rhys said:

Sadly.. welcome to the reality of Thailand... Discipline the students.. you are looked upon as a troublemaker.  Thai students many know Westerners try to punish their behavior but laugh and carry on... because nothing will happen. Yes it bites.... but that is only one of the realities of teaching in Thailand...

Cell phone, jumped classes, cheating.. all forgiven...

Quite frustrating indeed.

Thanks for your response. Yeah I hear you loud and clear. My wife's a Thai teacher and she said now, even Thai teachers are very limited on how they discipline their students.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, akirasan said:

I got told I'm allowed to hit the students but I'd rather not.

I give the really naughty ones some responsibility. Like calling the roll at the start of the class, helping me clean up afterwards, running small errands for me, just give them something to do besides acting up.

Thanks for your response. That's some good ideas especially cleaning up afterwards. I had a stick in my past classes but of course, never used it on the students but the white board and the top of the desk got constant beatings from the stick when trying to get the students attention. One thing I noticed about Thai students, they can make a ton of noise but absolutely hate it when teachers are the ones making loud noises.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, akirasan said:

I know, right? Talk about about asking for trouble. I've had teachers who were visiting class put a stick in my hand before, but I always put it back on the desk and keep doing what I was doing.

Of course you get those days where the kids are just impossible to control or one student wants to make class hell for everybody else. Those days I'll shift the lesson outside or play some game to start with that gets them running around. The real troublemakers tend to act up when they're either bored or they've got had a problem at home so it helps to take their mind off whatever is bothering them, burn off some energy and makes the class more fun for everybody.

Thanks for posting. I never thought about the reason some students act up actually. Ill try starting with a game to get the students to burn off energy at the start of class.

The Child Protection Act in Thailand is quite comprehensive but ignored by most Thai teachers.  Until parents use the law to get rid of such teachers, then nothing will happen.  

With Prathom students, I would tell anyone being really naughty to stand outside the door, they hate that as any Thai teacher walking past is going to ask them why they are standing there.

Also. I used to punish them by telling them to stand up on their chairs for so long.

• Like 2