IsaanFam

Fined 1000 THB for driving violation?!

Posted (edited)

So, first time here that a cop stopped me because of a traffic violation. Basically, I didn't notice that I was on the wrong line and just indicated (a bit to late as the white lines were already like that) to go to the left and I saw already the cop collecting something from a taxi in front of me.

Then he was running at me after I was nearly on the other lane and he said to me with a big smiling face that this is for express way. Well, he asked for 1000 THB and I denied and he said go police station to get my license and pay the fine of 1000 THB. As I never encountered a real traffic violation thing, is this the normal behavior, I mean the 1000 THB? Seems a bit sharp to me.

I have made an illustration of what happened. The white "man" is the cop.

Untitled.png.9bc25750c3216d0e86ed18f1328a8d8e.png

Edited by IsaanFam

a simple principle i follow is to never commit

a traffic violation unless a thai did it 1 second earlier

right in front of me,

that will cause the police to have to charge the thai also

in case they want to charge me,

and they rather not do anything at all in this case

• Haha 2
  • Confused 4

Yes, normal and official behaviour.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, IsaanFam said:

I mean the 1000 THB? Seems a bit sharp to me.

Inflation I guess,  an incident like that 12 years ago was my first road fine in Bkk going to Don-Muang air-port 200 bht on the spot to nice policeman. 😁

Posted (edited)

Is this Rama 4? I sympathise as, unless you are familiar with the intersection, they are confusing (perhaps deliberately so). The police there are generally less forgiving and more predatory when encountering foreigners. Looks like it is under an expressway, maybe there or Ploen Chit.

Most Thai traffic legislation stipulates a minimum and maximum fine, often 400 (minimum) and 1000 (maximum). This policeman has seen fit to give you the max. I suggest

1. Try taking it to the police station and insist on receiving on a receipt even before you hand over any money. The fine may be reduced. If they won't receipt the fine, tell them you'll come back tomorrow and never return.

2. Ask to pay less at the police station. Often they will drop to 400 or 300 or 200. You never know.

3. Chuck the ticket in the bin. I have with some and nothing ever happened.

Whatever you decide, never hand over 1000 Baht on the street for such a minor offence, that is way over what is required.

Edited by Briggsy

46 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Is this Rama 4? I sympathise as, unless you are familiar with the intersection, they are confusing (perhaps deliberately so). The police there are generally less forgiving and more predatory when encountering foreigners. Looks like it is under an expressway, maybe there or Ploen Chit.

Most Thai traffic legislation stipulates a minimum and maximum fine, often 400 (minimum) and 1000 (maximum). This policeman has seen fit to give you the max. I suggest

1. Try taking it to the police station and insist on receiving on a receipt even before you hand over any money. The fine may be reduced. If they won't receipt the fine, tell them you'll come back tomorrow and never return.

2. Ask to pay less at the police station. Often they will drop to 400 or 300 or 200. You never know.

3. Chuck the ticket in the bin. I have with some and nothing ever happened.

Whatever you decide, never hand over 1000 Baht on the street for such a minor offence, that is way over what is required.

"Whatever you decide, never hand over 1000 Baht on the street for such a minor offence, that is way over what is required."

Which is exactly what the officer said: go to the station, pay the fine and get your DL back.

9 hours ago, IsaanFam said:

Well, he asked for 1000 THB and I denied and he said go police station

11 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Which is exactly what the officer said: go to the station, pay the fine and get your DL back.

Try again, better luck next time. Are you a speed reader / skim reader?

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

Is this Rama 4? 

As it says in the photo its Pethchaburi Rd, looks like just east of the Wireless Rd intersection. A dirty trick by the authorities to fine this high like you say, as the inexperienced driver has to try and understand the poorly faded road markings or be forced onto an Expressway to avoid a fine??

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Try again, better luck next time. Are you a speed reader / skim reader?

From the OP: " he said go police station to get my license and pay the fine of 1000 THB.  "

From me: " Which is exactly what the officer said: go to the station, pay the fine and get your DL back. "

From you: " Is this Rama 4? "

From the OP: "Petchaburi Road"

Please read before trying to correct or ask questions already in the OP.

@stevenl

Cherry picking out of context rather than admit you were wrong. Tut, tut.

The OP says first the officer asked for 1000 B.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

@stevenl

Cherry picking out of context rather than admit you were wrong. Tut, tut.

The OP says first the officer asked for 1000 B.

You made the claim that I was posting incorrect, wrong. See my previous post.

Now you could also have quoted my post, but that would not seem very smart, since that post proves you were wrong.

End of for me.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, stevenl said:

"Whatever you decide, never hand over 1000 Baht on the street for such a minor offence, that is way over what is required."

Well, I did not want to say it directly, so I hid it a bit within the written text that the officer made 2 different announcements within a short time frame.

Edited by IsaanFam

3 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

As it says in the photo its Pethchaburi Rd, looks like just east of the Wireless Rd intersection. A dirty trick by the authorities to fine this high like you say, as the inexperienced driver has to try and understand the poorly faded road markings or be forced onto an Expressway to avoid a fine??

It's not  a dirty trick. If you've driven there you'll know that if you don't turn onto the expressway you'll be heading directly into oncoming traffic. 

4 minutes ago, Crash999 said:

It's not  a dirty trick. If you've driven there you'll know that if you don't turn onto the expressway you'll be heading directly into oncoming traffic. 

That is wrong, the whole street is one way. You can even see in the picture that the road is one way. Well, I haven't driven there before and just noticed to late that its the way to the express way. 

• Haha 1