getithere328

Has the Darkside lost it’s sparkle?

I’ve been visiting Thailand since 2004 and over that time I have done the bright lights of central Pattaya and the other delights on offer. As time went on I found that the Darkside, particularly lake Mabprachan, was a nicer place to spend my time.

My last visit was in 2014, I did notice that the lake has changed then, the bars seemed to be struggling, no doubt the poor exchanged rate (even worse now) didn’t help their cause given the amount of expats there.

However, I enjoyed a good few nights around the lake and particularly liked the Venue bar. From what I hear, the Venue has closed due to the new motorway and the lake is pretty much dead.

I’d be interested in hearing what peoples options are about Lake Mabprachan as it is today. I’m due to come over in July and wondering whether to stay around the lake or give it a miss.

If anyone has any pictures of the new road near the old Venue bar then that would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I always thought that the darkside stopped way before the lake.

The main advantage of the lake, as far as I can see, is that it has no bars. As such, I would not mind moving there. Any increase in the number of bars or other entertainment venues just makes it less attractive to me.

• Like 1

If u have kids then living across Sukumvit makes sense otherwise it doesn’t.

I only feel comfortable in Jomtien very near the beach..

• Like 1

I did hear that a Shopping Mall is being built there soon. Of course Pattaya needs another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

I always thought that the darkside stopped way before the lake.

The main advantage of the lake, as far as I can see, is that it has no bars. As such, I would not mind moving there. Any increase in the number of bars or other entertainment venues just makes it less attractive to me.

Wouldn't it have been better to stay in Blighty? (or wherever).

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, getithere328 said:

I’ve been visiting Thailand since 2004 and over that time I have done the bright lights of central Pattaya and the other delights on offer. As time went on I found that the Darkside, particularly lake Mabprachan, was a nicer place to spend my time.

I would have first visited around the same time - the place has definitely gone downhill since then.  After a few rowdy nights in Pattaya I found it a pleasant place to stay and booked in there on every subsequent trip down that way.

There have been several attempts to re-juvinate the bars and restaurants around the lake, none seem to have been very successful.  The last time I was there, The Peacock was looking more promising than it had on previous attempts but the main road to Pattaya being blocked lower down was a major hassle - passing customers must be non-existent.

My feeling is that it will never return to what it used to be but maybe that's not a bad thing.  A few restaurants to service the residents of the nearby developments might be more appropriate.

• Like 1

I've never been a fan of the dark side, better in the centre if you want bars. Retox does a good breakfast though for 99 baht, that's the highlight. There's also a good french coffee shop Soi 89 i think

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

My old man lived in Pong when the Lake Mabprachan road had nothing and Soi Siam and Nampapa were mostly lights out by 7pm. Cant remember it ever being much more than a few same face beer bars.

We often drive that way to Nongprue stadium and notice that the Pong Municipality have spent a fortune on the lake side recreation areas. Looks nice from the street.

Edited by Fruit Trader

I used to get dragged to the bars after golf on the way back. Not once was it any good. I think the older guys remember when it was good so that's part of the enjoyment, the good old days

• Like 1