webfact

Thais start waking up on reducing plastic bags

15 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

This is the start !  It will take a long time or may never happen. Better than doing nothing.  Here in Perth Woolworths have stopped giving out any plastic bags effective today.  Try doing that in Thailand !

What? Only since today? I thought Ozzies were such naturelovers?

In Holland there are no free plastic bags in supermarkets since 25 years i recon.

The Thai should start drinking tapwater...that would save so much plastic.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Get rid of the straws - can live without that.

Stop using plastic bags - use the reusable bags. 

Return the empty plastic bottles to the shops get the refund of 2B

These would be good start.... 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

This is the start !  It will take a long time or may never happen. Better than doing nothing.  Here in Perth Woolworths have stopped giving out any plastic bags effective today.  Try doing that in Thailand !

not only Woolworth Coles as well and at Aldi they never had any plastic bags

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Not trying to score points here, but in UK, big shops stopped giving away "single-use" plastic bags a couple of years ago.

Aldi and Lidl never did anyway.

Lots of people, myself included, objected at the time, but further thought and the smallest change of habits has resulted in a massive reduction in the number of bags used and therefore abandoned.

It took time and will take time in Thailand.....

Oh and @Thian you are being sarcastic about the tap water I trust? :huh: Aren't you?

Edited by VBF

35 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

Here in Perth Woolworths have stopped giving out any plastic bags effective today.  Try doing that in Thailand !

Perth is already a nice and clean place with or without plastic bags so a ban isn't going to change things much - ditto for the rest of Australia.  Five countries in Asia send more plastic into the oceans than the rest of the world combined (Thailand in at number 7 according to the link below). It's going to take more than a puff piece in a news paper article every year or so to fix this in Thailand.

https://www.statista.com/chart/12211/the-countries-polluting-the-oceans-the-most/

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, VBF said:

Not trying to score points here, but in UK, big shops stopped giving away "single-use" plastic bags a couple of years ago.

Aldi and Lidl never did anyway.

Lots of people, myself included, objected at the time, but further thought and the smallest change of habits has resulted in a massive reduction in the number of bags used and therefore abandoned.

It took time and will take time in Thailand.....

Oh and @Thian you are being sarcastic about the tap water I trust? :huh: Aren't you?

I drink tapwater now for 8 years, untill the big flooding without waterfilter, after that with a purifier with UV-light. I drink 2-3 liters of it every day, no problems at all.

So the UK only stopped recently with plastic bags? Amazing, it just shows how Holland has to be the first and most green country all the time.

In Holland i bought a meal in a snackbar, he wanted 10 cent extra for a thin carrybag...At the Chinese they still give them free. But supermarkets only have thick bags and those cost 40-50 cents or so.

Normal binbags cost 1 euro a piece, those will be taken by the refuse-trucks. Plastic goes in another bag for recycling. Glass goes in the glasscontainers, cans in cancontainers, batteries in disposalboxes in supermarkets, EVERY plastic product had disposal-tax on it before it was sold in the shops..And so on...That's why it's cheaper to shop in Germany for Dutchies but also there you won't get free plastic bags.

The latest fashion in Europe for summer is a huge private floating island (made from plastic), like a huge swan or flamengo which is inflatable and can go on a lake with 10 people on it.

Those things will be used 3 times before they leak i bet. After that it all goes in the bin.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

Here in Perth Woolworths have stopped giving out any plastic bags effective today.  Try doing that in Thailand !

Makro in Thailand does already many years.....others did not follow yet.