Jump to content
webfact

Thais start waking up on reducing plastic bags

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Strange perspective. I consider Thailand to be quite clean. Most Thais I know shower two or three times a day. Their clothes are usually spotless. Many mop their floors daily. I see them constantly sweeping, dusting, and washing their cars. In the west, I see floors that have not seen a mop in weeks. It is all relative. I see some smaller towns here that really go out of their way to clean, and keep their homes looking quite nice. 

 

When I spent time in India, a case could be made for the filth. Everywhere you looked, there was thick film of dust, and grime. Not the case here. Alot of the stores and markets are immaculate. 

If you consider Thailand to be clean then clearly its been a while since you lasted visited.  The garbage you saw as you left last time is probably steal festering in the same place!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, carmine said:

If you consider Thailand to be clean then clearly its been a while since you lasted visited.  The garbage you saw as you left last time is probably steal festering in the same place!!

Wrong. I live here. Though I do live in an exceptionally clean area. I agree there is more that can be done. They need to install 30,000 trash receptacles nationwide. It sometimes takes me 10 minutes to find a bin to put something in Bangkok. And Samui needs to arrest the mayor, so they can divert the money to the waste management plant, that is being sucked into his many, many personal accounts. And in Issan, they need to establish a trash collection program for most villages. But, most Thai people are quite clean. And many houses I see are well kept. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It took me a while but I finally got my local farmers market & 7/11 folks to understand I will use my OWN reusable bags. I even see a light bulb flickering above a few of their heads. Almost an "Aha!" moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, carmine said:

Just nonsense this, they are not waking up to anything.  Buy a banana from 7/11.  Its in a plastic bag and as you pay they put it in another plastic bag.  Buy a drink and they have to supply you with a straw.  No proper recycling, a nation that throws garbage plastic anything wherever, whenever they want....i could go on but whats the point, nothing will ever change here, they'll just blame everyone else for their shortfalls.

Except Makro have already started charging for bags - and everyone has accepted their policy.

 

Plus, as I mentioned earlier, my local vendor has replaced the polystyrene/foam (?) take-away food containers with cardboard containers.

 

Edit - I agree that 7/11 are the worst of the worse, but it's always possible to refuse the plastic bags/straws/spoons etc.!

Edited by dick dasterdly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Wrong. I live here. Though I do live in an exceptionally clean area. I agree there is more that can be done. They need to install 30,000 trash receptacles nationwide. It sometimes takes me 10 minutes to find a bin to put something in Bangkok. And Samui needs to arrest the mayor, so they can divert the money to the waste management plant, that is being sucked into his many, many personal accounts. And in Issan, they need to establish a trash collection program for most villages. But, most Thai people are quite clean. And many houses I see are well kept. 

So in other words it's no where near as tidy as the West 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"2. I bring a bottle of water with me, every time I go to a restaurant."

 

lol, find another way or dont go out on resturants

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thais have a good personal hygiene , and they try to keep their homes clean. But the problem is outside their homes, they turn a blind eye to what's laying on the ground outside, thats where all the trash go ! Just walk into any village, a pile of trash will be nearby. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, balo said:

Thais have a good personal hygiene , and they try to keep their homes clean. But the problem is outside their homes, they turn a blind eye to what's laying on the ground outside, thats where all the trash go ! Just walk into any village, a pile of trash will be nearby. 

Very difficult for many (not just Government and its officials) to "think outside the square". :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Except Makro have already started charging for bags - and everyone has accepted their policy.

 

Plus, as I mentioned earlier, my local vendor has replaced the polystyrene/foam (?) take-away food containers with cardboard containers.

 

Edit - I agree that 7/11 are the worst of the worse, but it's always possible to refuse the plastic bags/straws/spoons etc.!

I agree with your edit. When I stay in Pattaya, i'm often in a hotel or guest house for an extended period, so the first time I go to 7/11, I grab a handful of straws and a couple of disposable spoons and keep them in the fridge with the drinks / yogurt or whatever, using the straws as I go and rinsing the spoons. The straws are useful for some drinks (small tins of coffee, the mini drinking yogurts and the like)  Future trips to 7/11 or Family Mart, i decline straws until i run out.   (In the past, I've checked out, leaving loads of unused straws in the room for the cleaner to throw away - very wasteful!)

 

Next trip I'm dropping a metal teaspoon in my wash-bag which I can use throughout the trip. They're nicer to eat with anyway.

 

Plastic bags I do accept - when necessary and the minimum quantity required.  They then get used for dirty laundry, shoes and if i generate rubbish  like fruit peel etc which, in that situation, I cannot recycle. Every little helps! 

 

Having said all this and read this thread, when one is travelling around (wherever in the world) disposable plastic is a boon - as long as it's recycled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Except Makro have already started charging for bags - and everyone has accepted their policy.

The Makros I've been to have NEVER supplied bags, charged or otherwise.  As far as I know, the only bags you can purchase in Makro are the Hot/Cold bags.

And yes, their policy of not supplying bags is accepted without loss of trade.  So there's no reason why other retailers can't follow suit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might have been said but aren't those notice signs plastic ? Negative attitude aside;  Some suggestions. Make something trendy/ fashionable and people will follow. Make it "cool" to be environmentally  conscious  by using pop stars, film stars etc. Give out the first eco friendly bag for free and make it easy to carry and fashionable. Turn up at your 7/11 without one and you can buy a new one for 100 Thb and instead of giving stamps to collect and cash in against products based on how much you spend.... Give out the stamps for every time you use the bag. Give out things like something small and upwards based on how may times you use the bag and collect stamps.  I don' know??? 50 stamps a new bag saying "I recycle...Do you ?" With a picture of someone or something trendy on it. Have a catchy slogan endorsed by some current icon and an upgrade system so they get a better bag the more times that use. The old bags can drop in a bin to be recycled . Make it so everyone wants to get the 5 star platinum rating and a t-shirt ( Made from environment friendly materials).

 

Good idea ?

 

Steve

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, HHTel said:

The Makros I've been to have NEVER supplied bags, charged or otherwise.  As far as I know, the only bags you can purchase in Makro are the Hot/Cold bags.

And yes, their policy of not supplying bags is accepted without loss of trade.  So there's no reason why other retailers can't follow suit.

Wrong...

Have you seen the size of Makros parking lot? What do you see parked there? Bicycles?  Nope.....You see cars lots and lots of cars.....

People do not need plastic bags in Makro because they have a big bag called a car to carry their goods home in....

The % of people who shop at lets say Big C who do not have cars is way way higher than Makro....

So Big C needs to have plastic bags...People can not walk around 24/7 carrying a cloth bag to go shopping...So Big C would be pretty stupid to not have plastic bags....

Plastic bags are good for business..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Thian said:

It's not my hobby to lift/carry 18litre waterbottles...filter works much easyier.

I have a filter but only use it for washing fruits/veggies and for cooking purposes. Like the vast majority of Thais, will continue to drink reverse osmosis and store bought water. Nothing difficult about lifting or carrying 18L bottles of water - the guy who brings us our water will do all the lifting and carrying himself for free. It's part of the job, as is usual in Thailand, no one is expected to get their hands dirty when there's a guy willing to do it for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fforest1. I hope you are taking the Micky ?   Motorbike ?  Under the seat.  Bicycle ? In a saddle bag. If on foot you are carrying bags anyway.  Bike or  motorbike the same. Plastic or reusable environment friendly ? Difference ? Fairly obvious .

 

Steve

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Have you seen the size of Makros parking lot? What do you see parked there? Bicycles?  Nope.....You see cars lots and lots of cars.....

Not really true , plenty of bikes also . I visit Makro myself and use the bike. I carry a bag wiith me so easy to carry, doesn't matter if you have a car or a bike. The reason for all the cars are business owners who buy in big quantities. But a lot of private persons show up and bring their own bags. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 19 July 2018 03:27
Sponsors
×