Jonathan Fairfield

Queuing system via smart phone set to make immigration matters in Chonburi easier

Immigration in Bluport Hua Hin has had this electronic queuing system in place since they opened a couple of years ago.

A first of its kind queuing system will be in place meaning users of the service will not need to waste time in the office.

After getting a queue number and scanning the QR code into a phone they can go shopping in the center and monitor via their phone when they should return to the office for their turn.

So not really new is it?

Will you need, copies of the front, back,  side, and sim card

of your phone , when you go and make the application. :giggle:

• Haha 1

So, apart from hiring hundreds if not thousands of unnecessary civil servants in all those immigration offices they now branch out on Apps. This is so typical for governments; Thailand is possibly a little further up the ladder than others, though declining tourist quality speaks for itself.

Alternatively they could have cut (substantially) on the bureaucratic red tape on papers, copies, signatures and passport pictures. This whole thing is a farce. Any longterm visa should cost, say, THB 5'000 - THB 10'000, include multiple re-entries and extensions should be fileable electronically. Do away with this 90-days-joke; it only serves to prove that who-is-who-on-the-banana-boat. Rather introduce proof of health insurance and third party liability insurance. 

You only want to know if the working alien is paying taxes and the non-working alien is - financially speaking - not a potential burden on Thailand. 

Or am I getting something wrong again? 

Alternatively they could have cut (substantially) on the bureaucratic red tape on papers, copies, signatures and passport pictures. This whole thing is a farce. Any longterm visa should cost, say, THB 5'000 - THB 10'000, include multiple re-entries and extensions should be fileable electronically.

I have plenty of spare time and would rather get my extension for just 1900B and some photocopies once a year than pay 10,000B for the same thing without the paperwork. As for multiple re-entry permits, not everyone wants one. Some people never leave the country at all. With the current system, those who do want one can pay for one. Those who dont want one have the option to save the money. Seems fair to me.

• Like 1

From what i see u cant make actual appointment. All i can do is paperwork checklist got this got that. If so useless and waist of my time.

16 hours ago, amexpat said:

Bring it on!  90 days online works great for me. 

Sadly saying something positive about thais or thailand is frowned upon by many on here.

The system hasnt been given a chance and already it is being denigrated.

I have NEVER had a problem at chonburi immigration.

The staff are courteous, efficient and always helpful.

If you are grumpy and arrogant well you will be treated accordingly.

So long as your documents are in order just scan the QR code and the system will do the rest - your date is set to get that all important extension. 

Of course, in order to verify your documents are in order, you have to wait in all the same lines and do all the same paperwork.  But now, in addition, you will have to scan this QR code to finish the process.  

At least, if it's anything like the "use of computers" in the Thai post office, which is just an added step that does nothing for efficiency.  

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

So, apart from hiring hundreds if not thousands of unnecessary civil servants in all those immigration offices they now branch out on Apps. This is so typical for governments; Thailand is possibly a little further up the ladder than others, though declining tourist quality speaks for itself.

Alternatively they could have cut (substantially) on the bureaucratic red tape on papers, copies, signatures and passport pictures. This whole thing is a farce. Any longterm visa should cost, say, THB 5'000 - THB 10'000, include multiple re-entries and extensions should be fileable electronically. Do away with this 90-days-joke; it only serves to prove that who-is-who-on-the-banana-boat. Rather introduce proof of health insurance and third party liability insurance. 

You only want to know if the working alien is paying taxes and the non-working alien is - financially speaking - not a potential burden on Thailand. 

Or am I getting something wrong again? 

Should be possible to get report about my personal data that are already in their system, and then - if nothing has changed - simply press the "no changes" button to get a receipt that my extension is done now.

17 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

the last Thai government app wanted access to everything on your phone!

can't remember which one it was. report corruption or something like that. :cheesy:

Not worried about the mobile phone stuff I am a hopeless user of a mobile phone. But I tell you what next time I do my visa extension I might pop down to Chonburi Looks like a couple of Nice Thai lady immigration workers there . And for the gay guys there always the guy in the middle also. Anything is an improvement to what we have up here

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

The instructions and the User Terms and Conditions are in English.

I just downloaded it on the Oppo and installed it.
When you open it it asks permission to access photos, media and files on your device (nothing naughty on my phone so no problem).

Then it asks permission to access this device's location (they know where I am already and I'm not hiding so again, no problem).

Then it asks permission to take pictures and video - wait - WHAT ? I'm not an expert on apps but it seems to me that giving that permission would allow them to take pics (and/or video) any time they want, for any reason.
If you select "Deny" it tells you that you must Allow all permissions to continue. You are then left at the User Terms and Conditions page. 

I can't see anywhere where they mention any kind of limit to what they can access (i.e. social media pages, especially if you are auto-logged in) or any limitation to how they can use the camera.

Uninstalled App. 

This app is scandalous, but apparently only a couple of people on this thread recognize it as such.

If you carry a smart phone you already have a tracking device. If you download apps like this one you are voluntarily giving away your privacy and with that the major part of what we call freedom.

Most countries in the western world have become surveillance states. Thailand is behind the curve but trying hard to catch up. Right now giving up your freedom is voluntary and most people have blundered into doing so without realizing it, or understanding the consequences. Having done so already the usual excuse is: “Oh well, so what, everyone does it and I’ve nothing to hide” or “But it is better for my security”.

It may not be long now before owning and carrying a tracking device (a smartphone or other) becomes compulsory. Many institutions (like banks) already make it difficult (but not yet impossible) to open accounts or do business without a telephone number.

What happens if you do not a smart phone and if I did I cewrt6ainly would not load anything from this government on it at all. They can make their life easier if they did away with 90 day reporting for those on retirement or marriage visas, it is a headache for them and for us, serves no purpose and opften really gets up my nose , queueing to say hello I am here. 

2 minutes ago, Khun Paul said:

What happens if you do not a smart phone and if I did I cewrt6ainly would not load anything from this government on it at all. They can make their life easier if they did away with 90 day reporting for those on retirement or marriage visas, it is a headache for them and for us, serves no purpose and opften really gets up my nose , queueing to say hello I am here. 

Currently there is no law that states that every individual must own a telephone (of any type), but I fear this will come.

16 hours ago, amexpat said:

Most apps do, don't they?  

But you don't always have to grant the permissions. Just tried an install of this beast and it won't run without all permissions enabled.

From what i see u cant make actual appointment. All i can do is paperwork checklist got this got that. If so useless and waist of my time.
Well if it actually gives an "official" (set in stone) list of documents that are required and they actually except those documents (with no spurious other requirements conjured up on the day) then it would at least be useful in that regard.