BANGKOK 19 November 2018 00:15
4MyEgo

Australian Principal Place of Residence is now going to be taxed if you live overseas

Posted (edited)
On 10/4/2018 at 10:44 PM, stud858 said:

Also was mentioned about not letting Australians outside of the country if they owe the government money such as education debt or tax debt. 

I think you will already find that certain government departments can already stop you in your tracks from going on a holiday if you owe money like child support.

EDIT: It's called a Departure Prohibition Order and once you have paid the funds, you get a

Departure Authorisation Certificate

Edited by 4MyEgo

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

government departments can already stop you in your tracks from going on a holiday if you owe money like child support.

I hope they acknowledge contractual agreements from hecs debts and other contracted debts. Adding to contracts later to disallow travel on a hecs debt would be against the law I'd say. The guy owing money on child support,  fair enough. 

22 hours ago, stud858 said:

I hope they acknowledge contractual agreements from hecs debts and other contracted debts. Adding to contracts later to disallow travel on a hecs debt would be against the law I'd say. The guy owing money on child support,  fair enough. 

I doubt very much that a Departure Prohibition Order would be required for a Hecs debt as my daughter was here in January/February this year and had no problem getting out of the country.

• Like 1

Hi all, I just joined this forum and trying to catch up. I'm going to go against the grain here and say the removal of CGT exemption actually makes sense to me. The exemption exists for PPOR so that your average home owner gets a tax break, but if you don't live in Australia it can't be a place of residence. So why should an exemption apply?

Also HECS is not a defaulted debt, as long as you're paying it back (or fulfilling the contracted obligation) it's just like any other loan.