Jump to content
FaFaHead

Social Security Direct Deposit

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, FaFaHead said:

Thank you! This is some fabulous information!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2018 at 6:25 AM, Dante99 said:

If you loose it, they will send you a new one by Fedex or similar fast delivery service.  Not a big problem, just call them.

You can open 2 Schwab Bank accounts, each attached to a different Schwab One account. That way you always have a spare card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, grin said:

You can open 2 Schwab Bank accounts, each attached to a different Schwab One account. That way you always have a spare card.

Why not 5 or 6  just to be safe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My experience tells me that if i lose a credit/debit card while not in USA, replacing that card will not be easy.  A new card will be sent only to registered address in USA and i must phone bank from USA phone to activate card.  Your bank may be different.

I don't carry my card but leave it at home and grab a big bag of cash one time per month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

My experience tells me that if i lose a credit/debit card while not in USA, replacing that card will not be easy.  A new card will be sent only to registered address in USA and i must phone bank from USA phone to activate card.  Your bank may be different.

I don't carry my card but leave it at home and grab a big bag of cash one time per month.

Some U.S. financial institutions will accept your having a mailing address in Thailand.  A friend just received a new debit card from Wells Fargo at his Thai address. You can have a U.S. mailing address by using a mail forwarding service in the U.S.

 

As for having a U.S. phone number, MagicJack is a great service for having a permanent U.S. phone number where you get to select the area code.  You simply register that phone number with your bank and when you plug your MagicJack into a USB port on a computer and make the call to activate your new credit card, the 800 number will recognize your number and activate your new card for you.  We've lived here 10 years and activated several new cards with our MagicJack from Thailand.

 

I've know some banks to accept a Thai phone number.  A friend banked with Morgan Stanley and it accepted his Thai phone number. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are other options for maintaining a US phone number. A couple of simple examples are Google Voice or a Skype North American subscription with a US phone number (used to be called SkypeOut).


Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NancyL said:

Some U.S. financial institutions will accept your having a mailing address in Thailand.  A friend just received a new debit card from Wells Fargo at his Thai address. You can have a U.S. mailing address by using a mail forwarding service in the U.S.

 

As for having a U.S. phone number, MagicJack is a great service for having a permanent U.S. phone number where you get to select the area code.  You simply register that phone number with your bank and when you plug your MagicJack into a USB port on a computer and make the call to activate your new credit card, the 800 number will recognize your number and activate your new card for you.  We've lived here 10 years and activated several new cards with our MagicJack from Thailand.

 

I've know some banks to accept a Thai phone number.  A friend banked with Morgan Stanley and it accepted his Thai phone number. 

Chase now let's you have an international number.  About time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, moontang said:

Chase now let's you have an international number.  About time.

Chase has allowed international addresses and phone numbers for years, at least ten.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

Chase has allowed international addresses and phone numbers for years, at least ten.

but they still won t send an SMS or OTP to one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, moontang said:

but they still won t send an SMS or OTP to one.

Yes they will if you have the right relationship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got this email from SSA.  Maybe this event can answer some of the questions?

 

U.S. FEDERAL BENEFITS TOWN HALL MEETING IN CHIANG MAI

JULY 17, 2018 FROM 10:00-12:00 @ BUA TONG ROOM, UNISERV CONFERENCE HALL,  CHIANG MAI UNIVERSITY

 

·         HOW TO APPLY FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER

·         HOW TO APPLY FOR US FEDERAL BENEFITS

·         HOW TO SET UP A DIRECT DEPOSIT ACCOUNT

·         HOW TO CHANGE YOUR OVERSEAS ADDRESS

·         FIND OUT MORE ABOUT MEDICARE

·         ASK OTHER ISSUES RELATED TO YOUR U.S.  FEDERAL BENEFITS 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

I just got this email from SSA.  Maybe this event can answer some of the questions?

 

U.S. FEDERAL BENEFITS TOWN HALL MEETING IN CHIANG MAI

JULY 17, 2018 FROM 10:00-12:00 @ BUA TONG ROOM, UNISERV CONFERENCE HALL,  CHIANG MAI UNIVERSITY

 

·         HOW TO APPLY FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER

·         HOW TO APPLY FOR US FEDERAL BENEFITS

·         HOW TO SET UP A DIRECT DEPOSIT ACCOUNT

·         HOW TO CHANGE YOUR OVERSEAS ADDRESS

·         FIND OUT MORE ABOUT MEDICARE

·         ASK OTHER ISSUES RELATED TO YOUR U.S.  FEDERAL BENEFITS 

One more thing:  UNABLE TO ATTEND? SEND YOUR QUESTIONS TO [email protected].  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2018 at 4:05 AM, Spaniel said:

I have my SS check direct deposited to my Fidelity brokerage account in the US.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 20 August 2018 07:38
Sponsors
×