Jump to content
wwest5829

New conundrum (Thai "regulation)

Recommended Posts

Once upon a time... OK, bit of entertainment, bit of a head shaking (yet again). Decided to buy a new motorbike after 7 years here as a retiree. So, a new Yamaha Aerox 155 (seems I've gained some weight and the old Airblade 110 was just not getting up the steep hills). Traded in the old bike for 10K. So, need "Residence Certificate" to sell old bike and another one to buy new bike. Out to Immigration on the 2nd Floor of Promenada. Present the required Passport pages, photos and 1000 baht (2 seperate Certificates required coming back the following afternoon to pick up). Next go to Yamaha to hand over certificates. Oh, says she, we need your Passport. Why, says I? I had to establish Passport verified information to get the Resident Certificate. New reqirement by Transport Office, says she, we will return the Passport in 2 days time. I state I have lived here 7 years so I understand need to fulfill regulations but...I go through the steps I have already taken and in a most understanding presentation and voice point out that this is "stupid" as Thai Law also states I am to have my Passport in my possession if asked by authorities. Never ending "new regulations by new boss". Yes, yes ...jai yen, yen....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes this is Thailand

Always throwing new rules up to us

As you stated we have to have our passport

So they just shot themselves in the foot

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Why do we need two residence cert just to sell and buy? Can't we use the same cert?

 

Original passport is always required for official transactions, nothing changed about this.

 

Someone can masquerade you if there's no original passport.

Edited by EricTh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EricTh said:

Why do we need two residence cert just to sell and buy? Can't we use the same cert?

 

Original passport is always required for official transactions, nothing changed about this.

 

Someone can masquerade you if there's no original passport.

You need a original residence cert  for each transaction

Never heard of taking passport

i took mine to register my motor bike

With the Honda person with me

No need to give the Dealer your passport

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Lizard2010 said:

You need a original residence cert  for each transaction

Never heard of taking passport

i took mine to register my motor bike

With the Honda person with me

No need to give the Dealer your passport

 

The last time (more than one year ago) I registered my motorbike, I brought along my original passport just in case.

 

The govt official at vehicle registration counter did request to see my passport in addition to residence cert.

 

You should know that Thailand just loves documents. tons and tons of paperwork and photocopying is the norm.

 

The photocopying shop beside immigration office most probably can afford to buy a few houses.

 

Edited by EricTh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EricTh said:

 

The last time (more than one year ago) I registered my motorbike, I brought along my original passport just in case.

 

The govt official at vehicle registration counter did request to see my passport.

 

Mine was 2 years ago

Same Govt Official asked to see passport

Maybe Yamaha  dealer is differanty

I will ask a mate who has just bought a Yamaha

What was his experence

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No way can they request to keep your passport for 2 days. You should have requested to see the manager . There is no way a Thai would hand over their ID card for 2 days and there is no way a foreigner should be requested to hand over their passport for any longer than it takes to do a quick photocopy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cmsally said:

No way can they request to keep your passport for 2 days. You should have requested to see the manager . There is no way a Thai would hand over their ID card for 2 days and there is no way a foreigner should be requested to hand over their passport for any longer than it takes to do a quick photocopy.

Yes our passports are worth a lot of money on the black market

They say its Liquid Gold

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it is Yamaha not the land department who says they need your certificate for two days.... As posted above the land dept want to just see it not retain it for two days... If you were to do all the paperwork yourself instead of having the dealership do it you would not have to give up your passport for the few days... personally I would not sweat it as I would have no desire to spend any time at the land dept...:coffee1:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps they meant they will make a copy & paper work will be finalized in 2 days?

 

If not agree with CM Sally....no way you hand over your PP for 2 day hold

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the new office have a big sign like at the old office that says there are NO fees associated with a CoR? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

I think it is Yamaha not the land department who says they need your certificate for two days.... As posted above the land dept want to just see it not retain it for two days... If you were to do all the paperwork yourself instead of having the dealership do it you would not have to give up your passport for the few days... personally I would not sweat it as I would have no desire to spend any time at the land dept...:coffee1:

If they needed to do any paperwork , a copy of passport  would suffice. I believe the only time your passport can be taken off you is to prevent you leaving the country and even then I think they need a court order to do it. Either it is a misunderstanding or the Yamaha dealership seriously needs putting in line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Theres no way I am going through another performance of getting another yellow book then just to get new bike.

Yellow book trumps residence cert  ten fold!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2018 at 10:14 AM, eyecatcher said:

Theres no way I am going through another performance of getting another yellow book then just to get new bike.

Yellow book trumps residence cert  ten fold!

I've got to say, when I got my yellow book from the Saraphi office, I was pleasantly surprised when the office manager told me there was no charge. He also delivered it with a colleague a week later and had a photo taken with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 19 July 2018 10:33
Sponsors
×