Technical Difficulties Read more... ×
BANGKOK 16 November 2018 03:48
Bob12345

Toyota GPS lost its way

So i got a 1-year old Toyota Fortuner and the GPS regularly wants me to tell him where we are. How i understand gps, he should be telling me where we are.

About once a week the gps thinks we drive into the sea, or off-road, as it cannot find the exact location or exact direction we are going. It is something i can adjust manually, but that takes time and is irritating (finetune on the touch screen). If i do nothing, its back on the correct spot a few days later.

We just got the car back from maintenance but forgot to mention this. But we will contact the dealer soon about this.

Anyone has/had the same problem? Did it get fixed, and how, and were you charged for it?

Posted (edited)

I don't have a problem with my Tuna set up. But I did find the screen all over the place till I set it at 500mt. (Bottom of screen left hand side, then press save) That's not 500mt for the whole screen but 500mt per every ++ C/M of screen. Sorry don't know the exact amount of C/M. Have also set the screen to it's least sensitivity because when you went near the thing it would change. If any of that fails. Suggest you take it to dealer as it'll still be under guarantee.

N/B once all has been set you should press the home button, Bottom right hand side, You could try the reset set up. That should get rid of any crap.

Best of luck.

Edited by fredob43

cut a little circle om the shield in front of the device that track sattelite, it will improve the accuracy.

toyota know that problem but if you do not ask they will not do anything...

I have had my Fortuner for nearly six years and I can confirm the GPS is a sack of crap, for a start the maps are now about 6 years out of date, trying to enter names, places or GPS co-ordinates for directions is a waste of space, I don't know how much it would cost to upgrade the maps but I heard it was expensive, the only thing I use it for now is to set the home location if we are staying at a new hotel and go out for the day sightseeing.

As SHG says above, get a phone holder and a plug in charger and use Google maps on your phone, far superior.

As far as I am aware the vehicle does not come with a handbook for the GPS it should, in my opinion) it's very much hit and miss to figure out how to work it. 

• Like 2

Attached is a page from the 2016 EU manual for Hilux/Fortuner that shows how to update the GPS files. The URL link may not be any good in Thailand, but its a start.

Nav_update.pdf

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I bought one of the last the old shape fortuners 3 years ago. The sat nav worked once, when we went on a trip to Hua Hin, it even changed route and took us away and around a big accident saving us a lot of time. A week later it went on the blink, and now almost permanently shows me driving in the bay of Thailand. I have requested Toyota to fix it 3 times, each time it has come back just as bad. I even switched dealerships to try and get a better result, all to no avail. I have given up trying. As someone else suggests, I just use my iPhone now. I'm considering getting an aftermarket all singing and dancing one fitted, with reversing cameras etc. 

Edited by MrBanks
missed word, made no sense.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

I have had my Fortuner for nearly six years and I can confirm the GPS is a sack of crap, for a start the maps are now about 6 years out of date, trying to enter names, places or GPS co-ordinates for directions is a waste of space, I don't know how much it would cost to upgrade the maps but I heard it was expensive, the only thing I use it for now is to set the home location if we are staying at a new hotel and go out for the day sightseeing.

We have a 2013 Camry, and from memory I think the map is 2012. Ours is one of those all in one GPS/rear camera/cd player/radio/dvd player jobs.

Last time I put the car into Toyota for a service I asked them to update the map for me. They told me I would have to buy a whole new system. I don't speak Thai and my wife wouldn't argue the point for me as she didn't want to piss them off.

There is an update map option on the satnav menu, however it does ask for the latest cd to be loaded. 

I suspect the best option would be to contact Garmin in Bangkok and see what they can offer.

Several years ago I bought a stand alone Garmin sat nav and they offered me a deal of a one time payment of 1500 baht for lifetime updates. Maybe they still do something similar?

I agree that the Toyota system (which is still Garmin) is pretty bad at times. We travel about three times a year between Hua Hin and That Phanom and it rarely picks the exact same route twice. I've now got to the point where I have saved two locations en route (Ikea Bang Na, and Roi Et) so that I don't end up down a farm track or in Udon Thani.

Edited by a10ams
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, a10ams said:

We have a 2013 Camry, and from memory I think the map is 2012. Ours is one of those all in one GPS/rear camera/cd player/radio/dvd player jobs.

Last time I put the car into Toyota for a service I asked them to update the map for me. They told me I would have to buy a whole new system. I don't speak Thai and my wife wouldn't argue the point for me as she didn't want to piss them off.

There is an update map option on the satnav menu, however it does ask for the latest cd to be loaded. 

I suspect the best option would be to contact Garmin in Bangkok and see what they can offer.

Several years ago I bought a stand alone Garmin sat nav and they offered me a deal of a one time payment of 1500 baht for lifetime updates. Maybe they still do something similar?

I agree that the Toyota system (which is still Garmin) is pretty bad at times. We travel about three times a year between Hua Hin and That Phanom and it rarely picks the exact same route twice. I've now got to the point where I have saved two locations en route (Ikea Bang Na, and Roi Et) so that I don't end up down a farm track or in Udon Thani.

That is exactly the same system as in my Fortuner, I didn't realise it was a Garmin unit, thanks for the info, I may try to contact them :thumbsup:

Posted (edited)

Just been on the Garmin Thailand website, it says updates are available, I put a micro SD in the slot and looked for updates, nothing. Apparently it is a process that can take more than 4 hours, but no update option on my unit, maybe I will call them on Monday.

Sorry, the process starts in the vehicle and then your PC and then back to your car, but the Toyota unit does not have this available.

Hope that makes more sense.

Edited by Golden Triangle

I rarely bother with the GPS. And when I do, it's normally in conjunction with the mobile. 

As an example, we were traveling down the South of Thailand recently and were in the middle of nowhere, I needed the nearest ATM, satnav said 20 Kms, Google maps said 1.5, if you have something it should work as needed, not donkeys years out of date. ?

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

As SHG says above, get a phone holder and a plug in charger and use Google maps on your phone, far superior.

As far as I am aware the vehicle does not come with a handbook for the GPS it should, in my opinion) it's very much hit and miss to figure out how to work it. 

Does have a hand book for Sat Nav. Front part is in Thai last part English. Does take some reading as there are well over 200 pages of same.

Edited by fredob43