Andrew Dwyer

Bananas - how to stop them ripening too fast .

I think there was a thread along these lines a year or so ago but I couldn’t find it and we probably have a lot of new members now with new ideas so here goes !

I generally eat 1 banana everyday for breakfast and usually buy 4 or 5 together from Big C or Lotus . I could buy 1 every day from the local 7-11 but they don’t always have them and sometimes they are already past their best.

The problem I have is I find that they ripen really quickly and I don’t like them like that.

I am kinda fussy and don’t like them over or under ripe !!

In the two countries I lived before it didn’t seem a problem and bananas would stay at their “ best “ for a few days, here it seems like they go from green to yellow with black patches overnight !!

Sooo, am looking for advice on how to store them to slow the ripening process . Have tried putting them in the fridge but that doesn’t seem to work for me.

What’s the trick ??

Hanging them and make sure the room temperature is not too hot. Try to buy bananas not so ripe, with little green skin and hard meat. Will take few days to ripe.

• Like 1

I think what I’m doing wrong is although I’m buying bananas that are green the room temperature is high and that ripens them quickly, when I come to the last two they are already past their best and the taste changes a lot ( IMO ).
I tried putting green bananas in the fridge but then they didn’t seem to ripen when I took them out.

I suppose I should put them in the fridge when they are ripe ?

The plastic wrap seems like a good idea, seem to recall hearing that before somewhere.

Once ripe put in one or two plastic bags and take as much air out as possible and tie closed and keep in refrigerator - undo and retie when you want one.  

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

When ripe I peal them & put them in a plastic box in the fridge they are good for 2 to 4 days

I peal bell peppers but never bananas......🙂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, keeniau96 said:

Skin them then wrap in usual kitchen plastic. Then pop in freezer and you will have a great snack that is especially good on hot day.

Good idea.