rooster59

Donald Trump meets Britain's Queen Elizabeth at Windsor Castle

Donald Trump meets Britain's Queen Elizabeth at Windsor Castle

800x800 (5).jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump and the First Lady Melania Trump are met by Britain's Queen Elizabeth as they arrive for tea at Windsor Castle in Windsor, Britain, July 13, 2018. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

WINDSOR, England (Reuters) - Donald Trump met Britain's Queen Elizabeth at Windsor Castle on Friday but the 92-year-old monarch was forced at one point to walk around the U.S. president after he halted abruptly during a ceremonial inspection of the guard.

Trump's first visit to Britain as president was not the full state visit he was originally promised, but he was heralded by military bands on his arrival at Windsor, before he and First Lady Melania went into the castle for tea with the queen.

The U.S. president had earlier praised Queen Elizabeth as a "tremendous woman".

The queen greeted the pair with a smile, although she had earlier glanced at her watch as she waited for their arrival.

While inspecting the guard at Windsor, Elizabeth appeared to give direction to Trump but then the president abruptly halted and Elizabeth was forced to walk around him.

Queen Elizabeth's tea for the Trumps was due to last 25 minutes according to the White House's schedule, the last part of their official visit.

He arrived at Windsor after a morning spent visiting Britain's royal military academy at Sandhurst and held talks with Prime Minister Theresa May at her country residence, Chequers.

Tens of thousands of protesters marched through London on Friday to demonstrate against the U.S. president's visit.

Trump is due to fly to Scotland later on Friday for a private visit where he will spend two days at a golf course he owns, before heading to Helsinki for a summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-07-14
  • Haha 1

I thought that the US Dept.of State has a Chief of Protocol, whose duty is to ensure that the president and the first lady are not embarrassed when meeting foreign dignitaries.  And, of course, a reasonable person would expect even more special attention devoted to protocol regarding royalty and for such an important and familiar ally, as if knowing how to act with the British monarch would be obscure to that office.   

So, what went wrong?  I'd love to have seen the briefing, assuming there was one.   

Edited by helpisgood
typo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

the president abruptly halted

He was expecting a golf cart for his review of the Guard.

It’s just another example of being the bulley trumps way of saying you need me more than I need you trump is a shameless cad personally I think he is a traitor the way he is anti NATO eu and pro Putin as far as I’m concerned he should get the express flight to Leavenworth prison doubt it will happen at minimum he will end his term in disgrace 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, BuaBS said:

Trump was right to ignore protocol.

Absolutely correct. Everybody knows that America is No.1. Where else can you have a World Series that doesn't involve the world. USA, USA, USA. God bless you. By the way who is this God? Must be an American.🤣

Definition of buffoon

1: a ludicrous figure : clown
2: a gross and usually ill-educated or stupid person 
  • acting like a ridiculous buffoon
Edited by dinsdale
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Hope she didn't throw up! 

I hope he didn't throw up.  We tossed the British Monarchy in 1776.  From an American POV, she's just an old English lady with frumpy hats.  They probably all had tea and crumpets and were overtly civil.  Call it a success.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1