rooster59

Malaysian government promises more press freedom

Malaysian government promises more press freedom

Malaysian-FM.jpg

The new Malaysian government led by Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad has given an assurance that press freedom in the country would be given more space to grow, national news agency Bernama reported.

Foreign Minister Saifuddin Abdullah was quoted as saying that Malaysia was now going through a political transition towards a mature democratic country, and the media plays a crucial role in realizing the objective.

He said the government had been more open and willing in embracing press freedom, especially after the 14th general election.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/malaysian-government-promises-press-freedom/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-07-14

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Foreign Minister Saifuddin Abdullah was quoted as saying that Malaysia was now going through a political transition towards a mature democratic country, and the media plays a crucial role in realizing the objective.

In contrast to Thailand. 

As a  mere tourist I honestly didn't feel any feelings of control by the Maylasian government. 

I suspect it may be  different if I became a long time resident there  but as yet I haven't done that.