Jump to content
BANGKOK 19 October 2018 14:07
aldriglikvid

Philippines vs. Vietnam - 10 days/30y old - Pro/Cons?

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I'm 30 years old and my 'base' is Thailand, however I'm looking to do 10 days in a adjacent country. Two countries left that I haven't tried already are Vietnam and Philippines.

I'm 30 years old. I appreciate if there is some kind of night life, but at the same time is a city like Manila (on the surface) too big attract me. I also appreciate having the opportunity for longer walks.

Could you guys give me some pro/cons of each country? ? Would be so helpful.

According to my (albeit short) research the cost of hotel/guesthouse/airbnb is ~ 2 x in the Philippines vs. Vietnam if the same standard is compared.
Philippines seems to kill it when it comes to island scenery and I also enjoy they talk good English.

Vietnam seems to have great food and easy ("straight forward") to get around.

Just some random showering-thoughts. Please enlighten me! ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i would go with vietnam.  fly DMK to danang (DAD) nonstop on air asia (about 8,000thb).  the airport is right in danang city so you will be at hotel very quickly after landing.  there is decent nightlife along the han river, in between two of the major bridges.  a great place to walk.  you can rent a motorbike or take a taxi to the beaches nearby.

 

after a few days, you could head south to see hoi an.  typically a day trip for most.  or you could take the train to hue and spend a couple days there and then head back to danang.

 

i haven't found the language to be much of an issue in vietnam.  you won't have long conversations with most locals but you can get by w/o knowing vietnamese.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

A friend from the States and I were visiting the Philippines and stayed for a night in Manila..  We were followed by a guy with a knife who kept  shouting at us that he was going to cut us up if we didn't give him money.  We had a taxi stop to ask if we needed a ride and we hopped in just to get rid of the guy with the knife.  He told us that this type of thing happens all the time.  Especially in the Ermita area.  Other than unscrupulous tuk-tuk drivers from time to time, that was the only rather scary incident in the Phils.  As mentioned in other responses, the food sucks and the hotels are substandard and expensive.   Expect to be hounded mercilessly by people around any transport station like Batangas,  Leyete, Angeles, etc.

 

If you do end up going to Viet Nam, HCMC,  stop by Jake's BBQ.  Good friend owns this BBQ joint and is a great chef. (http://www.jakesamericanbbq.com/contact-us/) 

Tell him DJ from Thailand sent you.

Edited by patekatek
added information

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have worked in both country's and they have a totally diffrebt vibe. Each is excellent for different reasons. You really need to do both countrys.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saigon is fun. Has girls. Hanoi is Cultured. Philippines I don't like. Food is better in Vietnam. I made this video in and around Hanoi and north Thailand. 

Great fun

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, buick said:

i would go with vietnam.  fly DMK to danang (DAD) nonstop on air asia (about 8,000thb).  the airport is right in danang city so you will be at hotel very quickly after landing.  there is decent nightlife along the han river, in between two of the major bridges.  a great place to walk.  you can rent a motorbike or take a taxi to the beaches nearby.

7

Vietjet flights to Vietnam (Saigon) are around 2,000bht.

Fast boat to the beach from Saigon is about 300bht.

 

Viets and Flippers all speak English.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like them both, pros and cons :Vietnam is significantly cheaper, especially hotels, although the pesos has slipped quite a bit so the difference isn't as glaring as it used to be. Vietnamese food is much better.

TThe PH still has more of that 3rd world (some call it shit hole) feel to it which I personally find attractive.

English is spoken widely, while English proficiency in Vietnam is even lower than in Thailand. 

If you are looking for anything like Pattaya style nightlife, Philippines is definitely better. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, lionsincity said:

food in vietnam is excellent

food in the philippines is some of the worst in the world.

 

town/cities in the PI can be real shitholes

 

the accent/national character in the PI I find annoying. 

 

town/cities in the PI can be/  are real shitholes.

 

I like the PI a lot  but truth be truth.

 

The food??   Special taste buds required ( or perhaps no taste buds at all) in the PI.

 

 

Vietnam is the cat's meow.   Go for it..

 

But I'd allow for a future trip to the PI in your bucket list, for sure.

 

Edited by watcharacters
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

I like them both, pros and cons :Vietnam is significantly cheaper, especially hotels, although the pesos has slipped quite a bit so the difference isn't as glaring as it used to be. Vietnamese food is much better.

TThe PH still has more of that 3rd world (some call it shit hole) feel to it which I personally find attractive.

English is spoken widely, while English proficiency in Vietnam is even lower than in Thailand. 

If you are looking for anything like Pattaya style nightlife, Philippines is definitely better. 

 

 

I still don't quite get it why hotels are generally much more expensive in the PI as opposed to most of SEA.    

 

I'd say the PI hotels generally speaking offer less for the money.

 

Internet included in price seems to remain a future amenity for Manila hotels at least.

 

 

I'm not sure based on my limited experience if I can agree with you about "English proficiency in Vietnam is even lower than in Thailand."   

 

Off hand I'd say I had little to  no problems at all with using English in either North or South Vietnam.

 

Edited by watcharacters
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The manic said:

Saigon is fun. Has girls. Hanoi is Cultured. Philippines I don't like. Food is better in Vietnam. I made this video in and around Hanoi and north Thailand. 

Great fun

 

 

I've replied directly to the OP so I hope I'll be allowed this brief OT.

 

You mentioned being off your motorbike tour while I believe you were in Hanoi.

 

Did you find a motorbike tour in Hanoi?    I came up empty in my search three years ago.

 

I took two all day ones in Saigon and will never forget the fantastic  experiences.

 

I need to get back to Hanoi.     What a great city.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I lived and worked in Danang for one year. Although that was was 10 years ago, the comments made here about Danang, Vietnam are accurate. I have never been to the Philippines, but I can easily recommend VN. Just remember, it is against the law in VN for a foreigner to bring a VN lady to his room over night.  I loved the women. Biggest problem - The merchants and those in the service industry more often than not charge foreigners double for many goods and services. Also they are not as open to bargaining prices as Thais.  Also, in Danang the nightlife is over by midnight. I hope that has changed.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

 

 

I've replied directly to the OP so I hope I'll be allowed this brief OT.

 

You mentioned being off your motorbike tour while I believe you were in Hanoi.

 

Did you find a motorbike tour in Hanoi?    I came up empty in my search three years ago.

 

I took two all day ones in Saigon and will never forget the fantastic  experiences.

 

I need to get back to Hanoi.     What a great city.

I did a motor bike food tour in Saigon. I did a food on foot tour in Hanoi. I rarely drive an MC. I'm sure there are MC tours in and around Hanoi. In Saigon I organised my own MC tour to all the major rooftop bars. The driver, an apprentice to the to the firm drank water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sponsors
×