james1995

Do you lose weight when living in Thailand?

I am currently in the US right now and I've gained a bunch of weight.  Too much fast food here.  To be honest, it's not a healthy diet here and I'm ready to go back.  I find that I lose a good deal of weight when I'm living in Isaan with my wife.  The food in Isaan is mostly sticky rice and noodle soups.  It's hard to get fat eating stuff like that, especially since our home is in a rural area with no 7/11 nearby.

• Confused 1

I put on weight in Thailand, beer every day. UK is usually spirits.

Fast food isn't a problem, I don't eat it anywhere.

• Like 1

I'm not sure its possible to lose weight for 32 years!  I'm sure you can get fat here if you try, many locals have done so in the last 20 years, go look at any school in the city and see the fat 12 year-olds. Taking a m'bike for every journey to the market or shop even when its only 200 yards away must help. Just like anywhere choosing what you eat and not eating too much of it is the answer.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

i find eating out for food in Thailand is easy to do.  so many road side places, food stalls, etc.  Even the farang places are good.  I lose a little weight because I am more active as I walk a lot and swim a lot.  I love strolling around parks and places like Nong Nooch.  I do eat less american fast food while in Thailand that's for sure, and certainly drink more water due to the climate.  I can say that if in the USA there are some reasonably fast and easy and nutritious options in the USA.  While I like and have eaten way too many # 7 chicken sandwich combos with fries and a coke at Wendy's, there are other things out there.  Get a falafel sandwich with a greek salad or rice side from any of the middle eastern places around.  There are a couple of spaghetti ravioli drive throughs (fazolis?), plenty of rice bowl (even jack in the box has one.  Not great quality but sure is better than a double bacon burger!  And there are tons of frozen entries one can buy, that while not quite as tasty as fresh cooked fast food junk, certainly are decent.  Find some asian market and get any of dozens of stuffed dumpling frozen things.  Pop in microwave add some soy sauce and yippee.  So just look around, take a few minutes to survey where you live.  You might be surprised at what is out there.

• Like 1

i believe too much sticky rice with make you fat also. eat a healthy diet do some exercise and you wont be over weight too much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You got fat because you chose too, with your food choices and exercise, so face up to that fact.

The good thing is that you can choose to reverse the trend. 

Good luck with the later

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

I lost some but it found me again many times over.

I need to go on your diet. It is nearly impossible for me to put on weight here even though I need to. Even several beers every day does not work.

7 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

I need to go on your diet. It is nearly impossible for me to put on weight here even though I need to. Even several beers every day does not work.

Many Thais are amazed at how little I eat and still fat. It just I eat the wrong stuff.

Have been here for 13 years. weighed 96 kilos, when i arrived, now 82 kilos. exercise and good diet, helped achieve, the weight loss.

If on a strictly Thai diet, I experience no solid poops and weight loss. If eating a western diet (Foodland, 24 Food Mart, Villa Market), solid dependable poops and glad I have stretch pants.

• Haha 2