Jump to content
webfact

Repay debts or suffer consequences, teachers warned

Recommended Posts

Repay debts or suffer consequences, teachers warned

By The Nation

 

178fc8786c19e636492d6c847d964f02-sld.png

 

The Justice Ministry’s deputy permanent secretary has warned schoolteachers who cease paying into a welfare fund that the outcome would be grim.
 

About 100 teachers on Saturday urged 450,000 others to join them in halting their debt repayments to the Funeral Service Welfare Fund for Teachers and Education Personnel starting on August 1.

 

But Thawatchai Thaikhiew of the Justice Ministry warned them on Tuesday they could be dismissed from the civil service, face three years of bankruptcy and drag their loan guarantors into bankruptcy too.

 

Urging the teachers to accept their obligation to repay the debts, Thawatchai said anyone who fails to make good on a debt exceeding Bt1 million could be forced into bankruptcy for three years, along with any guarantors.

 

And, having been declared bankrupt, teachers would be disqualified for positions in the civil service under the Government Teacher and Education Personnel Act 2004.

 

Bankruptcy could also be extended to five or even 10 years if there were a lack of cooperation with creditors, he said.

 

During that period the bankrupt individual could sign no work contracts, make no monetary transactions or travel aboard without permission from their official receiver in the Legal Execution Department, Thawatchai said.

 

The 100 teachers vowing to stop payments to the fund said they were overwhelmed with debt because of it.

 

Meeting the press in Maha Sarakham on Saturday, they called for the government and Government Savings Bank to approve a six-month moratorium on debt repayments and then drop the annual interest rate to 1 per cent, the same rate applied to farmers repaying government loans. Teachers currently pay between 5 and 7 per cent interest.

 

They also demanded that the National Legislative Assembly establish a committee to resolve their debt problems.

 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30350227

 
thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have got the right idea sort of. Without unions they will be taken advantage of.

Setup up a union then canvas the gov for better salaries. Some countries can't organise a group well.  especially those with a wide devide of wealth.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shouldn't they be given the chance to refinance at todays interest rates?

Afterall, it's not their fault that interest rates have collapsed generally around the world including in Thailand.

Surely the authorities understand that being locked into high interest rate loans becomes increasingly burdensome in a low interest rate environment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, stud858 said:

They have got the right idea sort of. Without unions they will be taken advantage of.

Setup up a union then canvas the gov for better salaries. Some countries can't organise a group well.  especially those with a wide devide of wealth.

 

Nothing to do with Unions, it's actually the Labour Commission that approves awards

Unions just represent a bargaining minority & have no say in the end, because the Contract is sent to the Commission to ensure that all parties agree & will amend on on appeal if necessary.

 

# Wages are pretty well set out according to contract & quals 

    * In my lads school they get 60,000 & speaking to the Admin girl while getting tour (she speaks                perfect English ), Why so much ? - Because they have to put a lot more time in compared to             Gov schools

# Thailand has a very good Labour Commission to sought out any disputes between parties ( cant        say much for my own country ), as there's that many clauses in a Falang's Contract you need to          hire a Barrister (which you have to pay )

# Every country has the Wealth & Poor gap - It just depends on how wide

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, webfact said:

Repay debts or suffer consequences, teachers warned

…………….Nah.....just escape to Dubai!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Topdoc said:

Shouldn't they be given the chance to refinance at todays interest rates?

Afterall, it's not their fault that interest rates have collapsed generally around the world including in Thailand.

Surely the authorities understand that being locked into high interest rate loans becomes increasingly burdensome in a low interest rate environment.

& Yes they should 

But they will have to remain with that bank

Also they mentioned that they weren't allowed to pay of early 

 

They must have some bad clauses in the bank contracts

Edited by BEVUP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Nothing to do with Unions, it's actually the Labour Commission that approves awards

Unions just represent a bargaining minority & have no say in the end, because the Contract is sent to the Commission to ensure that all parties agree & will amend on on appeal if necessary.

 

# Wages are pretty well set out according to contract & quals 

    * In my lads school they get 60,000 & speaking to the Admin girl while getting tour (she speaks                perfect English ), Why so much ? - Because they have to put a lot more time in compared to             Gov schools

# Thailand has a very good Labour Commission to sought out any disputes between parties ( cant        say much for my own country ), as there's that many clauses in a Falang's Contract you need to          hire a Barrister (which you have to pay )

# Every country has the Wealth & Poor gap - It just depends on how wide

 

 

In Australia unions are a massive influence in bargaining power and organising walk off the job protests. In the past they have secured better conditions for Australian workers. 

I agree with you though, in Thai culture will never be successful unions. Mai pen rai, and the sun shines good weather so why bother. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, webfact said:

They also demanded that the National Legislative Assembly establish a committee to resolve their debt problems.

As always in Thailand, the ones making the mistakes deny responsibility and demand someone else to solve their problems.

Cause its not fair that we have to borrow money for a brand-new pickup truck with all the extra's, and have to repay the money for it.

 

How about the GSB gets a judge to withhold the interest payments before salary is being paid out?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Topdoc said:

Shouldn't they be given the chance to refinance at todays interest rates?

Afterall, it's not their fault that interest rates have collapsed generally around the world including in Thailand.

Surely the authorities understand that being locked into high interest rate loans becomes increasingly burdensome in a low interest rate environment.

Actually teachers debts have been refinanced a few times, this is not the first article about the teachers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stud858 said:

In Australia unions are a massive influence in bargaining power and organising walk off the job protests. In the past they have secured better conditions for Australian workers. 

I agree with you though, in Thai culture will never be successful unions. Mai pen rai, and the sun shines good weather so why bother. 

Yes Unions represent the people & Thailand actually have some very good unions (better then Ausses ). Just look at the Air Hostesses 

Walk of the job protests now require them to give written notice & wait for when the employer thinks it will be accceptable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

BANGKOK 18 August 2018 11:31
Sponsors
×