BANGKOK 16 October 2018 21:25
worgeordie

Kelly's Fish and Chips

As the Chiang mai forum seems to be mostly about finding

food items, I thought I would add another.

Kelly's Fish and Chips, Meechok Plaza, has anyone ate there

recently ? I have not been for at least a year,but enjoyed  

their fish and chips,pot of good tea and bread ,butter,I

would always order the deep sea Cod ?,it was OK,I dont

eat Pangasius,Tilapia, 

I seen it was up for sale a while ago,and wonder if it is

still worth a visit,

regards worgeordie

Is that plaice really stilly going?

I remember maybe 3 years ago, going to help a TV member out with some building and structural advice before he embarked upon a house purchase.

I told him my fee was a Chang beer that's all, but he insisted on buying me fish and chips and kellys........having grown up in Yorkshire with proper fish and chips I wasn't expecting much.

my verdict on the fit an chip......it didn't live up to the previous hype i.m.o   but a good effort and happy if they are still going.

I'm continually amazed at how lack luster the food in Mee Chok Plaza is.  The pizza, the noodles, the fish&chips...all should be better.

• Like 1

I seldom ever see a customer in there when I pass by. Don't see how they stay in business as the rent has to be sky high. I don't think the guy who drove the convertible Alpha Romeo owns it anymore. Before him was an Australian guy who I occasionally see riding his bicycle up the Phrao Road.

"The Best Fish & Chips in U.K . -- Twice"

Kelly dreamed it, twice. ....

I ate there before and it's that "Asians take a stab at making Western food." It's a shame since a decent breakfast or fish and chips would be a nice addition to that strip mall. 

Meechok Plaza favs? The Lao steak at the Vietnamese chain on the second floor and the tonkotsu ramen at Naruto. 

Agree with Trujillo ( for once!) "best fish n chips in the uk"...Haha, in his dreams......I m from Yorkshire where you can go to any village and find half a dozen "chippies" all of which produce lovely fish n chips ten times better than anything Kellys has ever produced!

• Like 1

So to go for 'reasonable' fish and chips?

Preferably somewhere 6,000kms east of Yorkshire. 

I live very close and I am in Meechok plaza most every day. Kelly's is frequently closed. I ate there a couple of times and thought it was not very good. I wish there was more variety in the Meechok restaurants. There is about 7-8 of Japanese/Korean/Vietnamese places which are always doing good business with Thais but all are about the same level of price/quality. Naruto is OK and the Korean place yeah maybe. The Giotto Pizza place is excellent in my opinion. Very comfortable and well-run. The dinners are very good and the (thin-crust) pizza is also very good. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, lexilis said:

. The Giotto Pizza place is excellent in my opinion. Very comfortable and well-run. The dinners are very good and the (thin-crust) pizza is also very good. 

Agree with you.

OP is better to go to these places for sure!!!  

We enjoy a great value breakfast or lunch at Kelly's regularly.  The fish and chips are very tasty and never greasy.  They do perfect poached eggs and the omelettes are big and really fluffy.   I also enjoy the fresh salads. The owners (less than a year) are friendly, hard working people and the service is always very attentive.   Every time I walk in there I can't help but notice how spotlessly clean it is. December last year they had delicious home-made Christmas puddings.

They are closed on Mondays and AFAIK don't open for dinner - closing time is late afternoon.  

7 hours ago, EL159 said:

Agree with Trujillo ( for once!) "best fish n chips in the uk"...Haha, in his dreams......I m from Yorkshire where you can go to any village and find half a dozen "chippies" all of which produce lovely fish n chips ten times better than anything Kellys has ever produced!

He won the prize when he was in the Uk, his Fish Shop was called Out of the Blue.

It is a prestigious prize to win in the Uk.

14 hours ago, EL159 said:

Probably easier to get better quality ingredients in the UK. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, stillhereandlovinit said:

Rob still owns the business, but he has leased it out about a year ago.

What does that mean?

And which one is Rob, the owner of the Alfa or bicycle?

20 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Kelly dreamed it, twice. ....

And what about Kelly?