AdamTheFarang

Are Thais Xenophobic or insecure or both or neither.

Hi,

Having travelled (traveled for our American readers) to many different countries both in the northern hemisphere and southern hemisphere Thailand greatly limits job categories to so few categories open to foreigners more than any other country I have visited but yet is very easy to get a tourist visa for even now after it become more difficult, let's face it before it was extremely easy. Is it good or bad in the development of the country? How many doctors, lawyers etc do you see that are not Thai. Companies need to be at least 51% owned by Thais. Are Thais Xenophobic, or insecure, or both, or neither. Do they just want tourist's money and then see them leave and people over 50 for a retirement visa that have to show they have money. Two easy categories of all take money and give little back. Am I being fair, or am I wrong?

4 hours ago, AdamTheFarang said:

How many doctors, lawyers etc do you see that are not Thai. Companies need to be at least 51% owned by Thais. Are Thais Xenophobic, or insecure, or both, or neither. Do they just want tourist's money and then see them leave and people over 50 for a retirement visa that have to show they have money. Two easy categories of all take money and give little back. Am I being fair, or am I wrong?

How many foreign doctors or lawyers want to work in Thailand and have the necessary fluent Thai language skills to do so that makes you pick on those two professions? 

"Two easy categories of all take money and give little back".

What money is it that you suggest the Thai government "takes"?  What money do you expect the Thai government to "give back" to tourists and retirees?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ravip said:

Definitely, neither. Yes, they want to take care of their own population first

If they wanted to take care of their own population wouldn't allowing more Western influence be better for improving things for Thai society. One example.  foreign teachers. They aren't very welcoming as compared to their Korean, Japanese, and Chinese counterparts.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Everyone who is xenophobic is by definition insecure. Also, I believe that this thread is in the wrong forum. Moderators?

Edited by Chou Anou
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, stud858 said:

If they wanted to take care of their own population wouldn't allowing more Western influence be better for improving things for Thai society. One example.  foreign teachers. They aren't very welcoming as compared to their Korean, Japanese, and Chinese counterparts.

No. It has been proven many a time that the West is detrimental to the developing countries. Example World Bank, IMF influence.

Edited by ravip
  • Haha 1

I don't think that this topic belongs in the Visa Forum... moving it to General Topics.

And please do not let this subject degenerate into a Thai bashing thread or it will be closed.

/Moved.

7 hours ago, AlexRich said:

They are all very proud to be Thai, and have been taught from an early age that Thai culture is superior. On a personal level I have always found them to be welcoming and friendly, they tolerate foreigners in their midst a lot better than many western countries. I don't know many European countries that would allow foreigners to retire, and really only do so if they have serious wealth. They protect jobs because they are still a developing nation, so I'll give them a pass on that one. 

If you go to live in Thailand you really just have to work the rules to your advantage, and avoid any of the pitfalls ... don't marry (gf only), don't buy property, don't bring assets into the country, keep your nose clean and have an exit plan if you get bored or the rules change to your disadvantage. A bit cynical, but will keep you safe.

Agree but why not marry? What do you see as the downside vs. visa benefits?