Smithson

New ASUS laptop useless, customer service appalling

Posted (edited)

I bought an ASUS Asus FX553VD-DM048T i5-7300HQ, which has excellent reviews https://www.webantics.com/asus-fx553vd-i5-7300hq-156-full-hd-gaming-notebook

It's basically useless, even Firefox is really slow. First trip to the service center and they claimed to have replaced the hard drive, but there's no improvement.

So I took it back again, they are making all sorts of excuses, saying it's Windows 10 constantly updating,  (it's a legal version that came with the laptop). After a week, yesterday the technician called saying he'd turned off all malware and anti-virus stuff and it's 'fine'. I wouldn't accept it, as these apps came with the unit and shouldn't need to be turned off. Besides that, I'm sure there's very little improvement.

The customer service is appalling, the reviews are generally 1 - 2 stars. There is obviously issues with the machine, but they're hoping I'll just give up. Does anyone have suggestions how I can get them to take some responsibility? Last time I was in, I raised my voice speaking in Thai, the manager was out fairly quick. He said he'd refer it to higher management, but obviously hasn't done so.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Smithson

I'm sure you know already but  just a reminder nevertheless that voice raising isn't favored  in Thailand.

Good luck with your dilemma.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been told that, and it's in the books, but I don't fully agree. The fact the manager came out indicates this. The place is changing in terms of customers service, raising your voice, without being abusive can be helpful, because other customers hear and take note.

Besides that, why should I be so worried about what's favored by people who are trying to rip me off? One of their suggestions was to upgrade the hard disk, which would void my warranty.

I have had to replace a pristine Dell Inspiron 17 7000 due to smoke pouring out and motherboard failure it had a 1tb SSD  I7 16MB RAM

Gutted I forked out on a Acer swift 3 Ryzen 5 and hell is it slow it has a normal HD the problem me thinks Try Edge works much faster than IE, Firefox and Chrome.

OP you say you have a legal version of windows, i doubt that very much.

I bought an Asus K455L 4 years ago told the shop i only wanted genuine windows, yes we only fit genuine never copy.

Well 6 months later, i got problems because it was a copy they had fitted, computer had to go back to have new windows fitted.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Are you absolutely certain that this is the case? Many laptops sold here have Windows added at the point of sale, and it is rarely a legal version.

Yes, the service center accepts this, which is why I don't accept them simply saying it's the updates.

I agree it's likely to be the hard disk, it's always running 100%. The first thing they suggested is an upgrade, which would void the warranty. They claim they've replaced it, but I'm skeptical. They're neither truthful or helpful, I think I need to go higher up in the food chain.

Thanks for the suggestion to try Edge, problem is I need Photoshop etc. and it's just useless.

The solution may be the hard drive, but the problem is the ASUS service center taking no responsibility and possibly lieing. If I was to add an SSD, any idea of cost and which model? The laptop is appalling slow, using my old 15k machine is much, much better.

1 hour ago, Smithson said:

The solution may be the hard drive, but the problem is the ASUS service center taking no responsibility and possibly lieing. If I was to add an SSD, any idea of cost and which model? The laptop is appalling slow, using my old 15k machine is much, much better.

Well, with few exceptions, I have found that customer service in Thailand is often extremely poor. "Saving face" (aka lying) is common. Not much I can do about that, I'm afraid, apart from commiserate.

As for the technical problem, any SSD should be suitable. Your main question will be the amount of data you need to put on it.

120GB is a practical minimum for Windows and some common programmes. If you intend putting music or photos or videos or games on it, then you may need a lot more. 120GB drives cost from around 1200B here, a little more for well-known brands. 240GB from around 2000+B, and 480GB from around 4000+B, and so on. A 240GB drive combined with judicious use of external media (USB sticks, USB hard drives, cloud storage) for large amounts of personal data would probably suit most people.

If I was fitting a new drive to a new(ish) PC then I would simply ensure that I had access to the PC manufacturer's drivers on their website via another PC, and would just remove the old drive, fit the new one, and then install Windows completely fresh using the installation media and activation key you were given with your laptop purchase. If you did not get the installation media and the operating system was installed in the factory, then you should have some sort of proprietary Asus backup programme installed that will make a recovery DVD or USB stick for you. If so, do so, and use that to install Windows onto the new drive once you have fitted it.

If there is no such programme on the laptop and you did not get the media with the purchase then it can be downloaded easily and officially from the Microsoft website. Create a bootable USB stick (16GB blank stick required) following the procedure described on the Microsoft site and do the install with that and your existing activation key.

Given that you probably dont have many programmes installed in such a new machine, I would not attempt to clone the operating system partition to a new drive though it is possible to do so with free programmes like Easeus. Cloning the OS partition to the new drive is more suitable for older installations which already have many programmes and settings installed as these could take a long time to reinstall manually to a fresh Windows installation.

run the windows user experience (press and hold Windows key then press Pause/Break) then click where it says Windows Experience Index. let windows run the tests and you'll be able to see which component(s) is/are slowing your system down. another thing to look at is your current power plan. click on the battery/power icon on the system tray. your current setting might be all the way on the power saving scheme. good luck

36 minutes ago, irwinfc said:

run the windows user experience (press and hold Windows key then press Pause/Break) then click where it says Windows Experience Index.

AFAIK that no longer exists in Win10.

A shame as it was quite handy.

39 minutes ago, irwinfc said:

run the windows user experience (press and hold Windows key then press Pause/Break) then click where it says Windows Experience Index. let windows run the tests and you'll be able to see which component(s) is/are slowing your system down. another thing to look at is your current power plan. click on the battery/power icon on the system tray. your current setting might be all the way on the power saving scheme. good luck

My QWERTY keyboard doesn't have a Pause/Break key. Is it one of the F keys?