webfact

Manafort is first ex-Trump aide to go on trial in Russia probe

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m an engineer, you’re a former trial attorney.

Within the next 2-3weeks time we’ll discover if I missed a career in law or if you obtained client fees under false pretences.

When you have the facts argue the facts. When you have the law, argue the law. When you have neither, argue.

Sometimes it's smoke and mirrors OJ. They have to prove it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Tovarish, please read a Federal Court pleading or a Court case and see how the federal prosecutors are referred to. Need a hint? Well in a State trial, the prosecutors are referred to as the People, or the State, or the Commonwealth.....

And of course, at the end of proof, the AUSA will rise and say "your honour, the Government Rests"...

Hope I cleared it up for you. Dad vidanye

Because crimes are committed against ‘the commonwealth’.

Basic principles of the Anglo Saxon common law upon which US justice is founded.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

2 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

This one? In U.S. District Court in Alexandria, Va.

Or the next one, in federal court in Washington, D.C., on Sept. 17?

I suspect a jury is going to be rough on Paul "Karaoke" Manafort? TAx dodging, and spending huge amounts of foreign cash on luxuries, and defrauding a small bank which loans to military personnel, will not invoke sympathy.

Which ever one Judge Ellis has. And I doubt the nature of the banks business will ever be brought up? What's the probative value? Does the probative value outweigh the prejudice? Is it even relevant?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

When you have the facts argue the facts. When you have the law, argue the law. When you have neither, argue.

Within the next three weeks we’ll have a verdict.

I’m cool with that.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

If the bespoke suit fits, you must convict.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Because crimes are committed against ‘the commonwealth’.

Basic principles of the Anglo Saxon common law upon which US justice is founded.

There ya go. So the Government must prove that a crime was committed. See how easy?

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Nyezhov said:

There ya go. So the Government must prove that a crime was committed. See how easy?

When did I dispute that.

Here’s a clue.

I did not.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

And I doubt the nature of the banks business will ever be brought up?

The bank's employees are scheduled to testify. Asking them about their loan practices seems like it will come up.

Did you run out of Trump Vodka?

2 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

If the bespoke suit fits, you must convict.

Actually that's not in the pattern jury instructions

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

When did I dispute that.

Here’s a clue.

I did not.

Re-read your objection to my post then

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

The bank's employees are scheduled to testify. Asking them about their loan practices seems like it will come up.

Did you run out of Trump Vodka?

And again, I refer to the issues or materiality, relevance, probative value noted above.

And why praytell, is one who tries to look at things through a lens of objectivity and constitutional requirements accused of drinking Trump Vodka? Do you mean to tell me that folks are not concerned about the antics of the government? I myself don't like the idea of folks Ginning up a scenario to surveil me.....

That's why the NACDL has the motto Liberty's Last Champions. The Government can bring all it's resources to bear on little old you and me at any time....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Speaking as a former Criminal defense attorney, I feel there is a more than a good chance the Government will fail to convict this innocent man.

I'm not sure how you can make that assumption as no evidence has been produced to the public yet.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Are there any criminal law cases in the USA where this is not so?

Edited by bristolboy
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

Oh I'm sorry I forget many of you aren't Americans. So that you non Americans know, Here we are lucky enough to have a system where an accused person is presumed innocent and the Government has the heavy burden of proving guilt beyond a reasonable doubt via material and relevant evidence that is admissable under long standing evidentiary standards.

Americans learn that in Grammer school as it is one of the bedrocks of our legal and constitutional system and we all view criminal cases that way. 

Wow, (for lack of a more appropriate word) thank you so much for this deep and invaluable insight.
Surely only the soon to be great again USofA boasts such invaluable rules that, if I am not mistaken, were first discussed by the recently deceased Prof. Gaius ?

Edited by KKr
  • Like 2